Tonalea, ARIZONA

Most Recent Tonalea Camping Reviews
Navajo National Monument and Monument Valley

Traveling, hiking and camping around Navajo National Monument and Monument Valley is a treat to the eyes. If you are a fan of Western or Cowboy movies you'll understand. You are able to see iconic landscapes that you might have seen in a movie or tv series. You're best able to cover ground by driving to various destinations. But if you have the chance to hike in the area you are rewarded with a more intimate experience.

This area is not part of the National Park System, so NPS annual passes are not valid. There is an admission fee per individual or per car to accesss the Navajo land. In additional there are fees for backcountry hiking or guided tours.

Awesome site!

Had an awesome time camping out at the bottom of Horseshoe Bend! It was somewhat weird having people always taking pictures and looking down at the camp a couple hundred feet up, but they were so far away that we got used to it. Lots of different dispersed sites and open spaces for larger groups!

Had a great weekend right by the lake!

We stayed at Lone Rock Campground right by Lake Powell and Page. This campsite was on the sand by the lake and it was a great spot. In some areas the sand I deep so it is easy to get stuck if you aren't prepared with a 4-wheel drive vehicle or recovery boards. The van we took did get stuck, but we were able to get out easily with shovels and some pushing/recovery board use. It is a large open area so there can be large winds and but it was a great spot.

Great

Other than the customer service, this camp ground was amazing! Perfect location. Reasonable prices! Clean bathrooms, for the most part. Lots of bugs in the sinks in the morning but that’s camping for you.

Beautiful spot

Amazing area, views to kill, fun for everyone

Awesome

Great place to stay, Breathe Taking Views, Dont Miss A Chance To Stay a Night or Two

Beautiful and convenient!

Nice, easy to find campground with beautiful views!!! Wish I could have spent more time here to explore a bit more, but I have no complaints! No campfires allowed, but grills are provided on site. Loved our time here!

Great location and amenities, just not our favorite type of camping!

We chose this campground because of its proximity to Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon. We are normally state or national park campers (we have a van not RV) so our three star review is based on our preferences. If you are used to an RV Park, this may be better suited for you.

Pros: Friendly staff and check-in was smooth Generous sized spaces with picnic table (although it was raining and we didn’t use it) Clean bathrooms and showers with hot water Dishwashing sink with hot water Fitness room 10% discount for AARP and others Proximity to Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon

Cons: Very close to road - lots of noise No privacy

Overall, it worked for a one night stay for us but we decided to move on closer to our next destination.

Beautiful but no fire rings

In most senses, this camp ground is great. Sunset View offers a beautiful setting, a camper service sink, flushable toilets and drinkable water. The only downside for me is the no burning except charcoal and propane stovetops. No fire rings is a no-go for me.

Beautiful but no fire rings

Laka Powell is a gorgeous place. Only spent a day in the campground the rest was out on the lake. Wonderful views and an open sky.

FREE!

Small visitor center, water and restrooms, and three self-guided hiking trails. Beautiful area to explore.

Sunset View Campground is a very nice free campground that would typically cost at least $20 per day. During my stay, most of the campers arrived early evening and departed early morning so the campground was empty each day.

Stay limit is 7 days per year.

July Heat

Fun trip with Sandy beach camping. Awesome fireworks show. Rainbow Bridge is breathtaking!

Windy and warm

The lake is hot and the wind is crazy. Like all desert campgrounds, privacy isn’t a choice since the landscape is barren. The wind gusts while here kept us from making a fire and our tent almost took off on us even after being staked down. It’s not the best place to camp during summer months when the heat really gets to you, but our dog loved the lake and spend his evenings swimming with us before bed.

best kept secret in AZ

This is a fantastic campground, with water, facilities but not overrun with people, and it’s free! I stayed here on a lark a few years ago and we wound up staying two nights and visiting the Betatakin, which is a free ranger lead ruins tour. This time I went back to backpack into Keet Seal, which was amazing and the stay at NNM was a perfect way to start the trip.

Cool place to camp

There are plenty of places to camp. The early summer is pretty busy. If you camp on the sand be careful because people get stuck. Beautiful waters and warm nights.

Hidden Gem of Arizona!

First: it’s FREE! No cost to camp at this gorgeous national monument with facilities! When we visited in June, we were among a small crowd of campers. We have a tent and we were very comfortable under the Northern Arizona sky.

Great Campsite!

I camped here for a geology field trip with NAU. The following day we got a tour of the monument which was awesome! I loved the hike in and out. The campsite itself was scenic and quiet.

Oasis in the desert

Free pull in spots great for catching some zs while driving through. Beautiful landscaping and nice restrooms. Cowboy camped here on the way to Moab.

One of my favorite places, breathtaking views

This campground is beautiful, it’s up the mountain and I’m not sure how big of camper can get there, we pulled our 21ft and probably wouldn’t take anything bigger, the scenery is breathtaking and it’s very worth the drive!! A must see place, and the people at visitor center are so nice and informative.

A favorite of mine!

I’ve stayed at this campground two different times almost a year apart and both times the experience has been phenominal! Clean bathrooms and showers, nice laundry and the pool is a nice plus!

Location, Location, Location

Basic, nice campground. Clean hot showers, indoor pool. The sites are gravel, not much to look at. Hop the little 3 foot cinder block wall and hike up the sandstone rocks for a nice view of the valley behind you. The sandstone is really cool because you can almost literally walk vertically up the wall and your shoes just grip the rocks. Fun! Short drive to either Antelope Valley Canyon or Horseshoe Bend. We will be back.

Great alternative to a hotel

We were here for 1 night. Had reservation for Antelope canyon tour the next morning. This site was in the low $20's with my aaa discount. Small plots but not an issue for a night. Showers for everyone are included in that price. And we used the indoor pool and hot tub to relax.

Beautiful views, nice site

Stayed here in April before busy season. Nice camper store. Only problem was a group of 10 at the site next to us. They had a couple sites but all slept in one and were up all night.

Hot showers!

This was a rare and interesting camp ground. Most of the site was sand (duh we're in the desert!) and there's an 18 inch cinder block wall dividing the sites. There isn't much, or any privacy in the tent sites. They did have an interesting walking path that goes up a huge rock wall that was cool. Having free hot showers was a huuuuge plus! The location was close enough to town to grab food and close enough to the marina (use your park pass to get in!)

Wonderful!

These grounds are lovely! Super nice location with just enough business around us. Free showers and good people! Would definitely re-visit!

A bit expensive but overall a nice place to stay.

We stayed in this park for four nights as we prepped our 5th wheel for three weeks of Boondocking. The camp ground was clean and well taken care of. We stayed in February, which is considered off season. In our way of thinking less tourist the better. We would stay here again whenever we are in the Page Arizona area.

Great clean campsite

We stayed right on the lake, at a clean and spacious campsite. Would definitely stay here again.

My Favorite Southwest Campground

I visit this campground every year on my way to other areas of the Southwest. It is a beautiful high-desert site on a pinon-juniper-forested mesa top and is part of a national monument with two Pueblo III ruins set in the cliffs.

It really is two campgrounds within 1/4 mile, the Sunset View Campground with water and flush toilets, and the Canyon View Campground with composting toilets and no water on site. Both are quiet, well-tended sites with great views over the red-rock mesa. Sunset View tends to be more crowded, so, if you are looking for quiet and solitude, Canyon View may be your choice. At Sunset View, campers tend to congregate on the west side at sunset, which makes for a nice opportunity to socialize.

The monument offers twice-daily ranger-guided tours of Betatakin Ruin. It's about 3 miles round trip with a 500-foot loss and gain. Visitors should sign up ahead of time. Those who don't want to hike can see Betatakin from the cliff top on the opposite side of the canyon.

Fit hikers also can make the hike to distant Keet Seel ruin (8 miles one way), a beautiful cliff site. It may be possible to stay overnight at the ruin, depending on ranger availability. Check with the visitor center for current visitation policies for Keet Seel.

The monument has nice exhibits of typical Pueblo houses, implements and pots, an excellent short video and a large selection of books and videos. The park staff is local and knowledgeable. There are live demonstrations of Navajo weaving and painting by local artists (with the finished products for sale). The center's gift shop features well-chosen jewelry, rugs, pots and other art at reasonable prices.

Eh. Could be worse.

Take this review with a grain of salt. I hate RV/city "camping". I prefer wide open spaces, and next to no people….

It's a RV/campground. In a city. Camp spots are right next to each other with no barriers. Gravel. You can hear traffic all night long.

The good? Friendly staff. Hot showers. Conveniently located to Antelope Canyon. However, if you're like me and love dispersed and/or primitive camping--head up the road to Lone Rock Campground and set your tent up right on the beach. I was afraid of taking my AWD there close to nightfall without laying eyes on it first. It's completely doable. Go there. (No showers, just pit toilets).