Add Review
About Demotte

The DeMotte Campground is located within the North Kaibab Ranger District just seven miles north of the entrance to the Grand Canyon National Park's North Rim. This is about 25 miles south of the Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center on Arizona’s Highway 67.

Recreation

Visitors to the DeMotte Campground enjoy camping and picnicking, sight-seeing and wildlife viewing. Enjoy a visit to the North Rim from mid-May through mid-October; the road is closed during winter. Hiking trails, spruce-fir and Ponderosa pine forests and unparalleled views of one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.

Facilities

The campground offers 38 single-family campsites with tables and cooking grills. DeMotte's campsites can accommodate tents, trailers and small motor homes. No utility hookups are available at this campground. Drinking water is available.

Natural Features

Many species of wildlife call the Kaibab home, including the tassel-eared Kaibab squirrel, found nowhere else in the world, and numerous species of birds.

Nearby Attractions

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park.

ADA Access: N

Sites
National Forest
Demotte is located in Arizona
Directions
From Kanab, UT the facility is 40 miles (35 miles from Fredonia, AZ) south on U.S. Route 89A to AZ State Route 67, at Jacob Lake. Then south 25 miles on AZ State Route 67 to DeMotte campground. From Bitter Springs intersection of U.S. 89 and 89A. Take 89A north 55 miles to Jacob Lake. Then south 25 miles on AZ State Route 67 to DeMotte campground.
4 Reviews of Demotte
Forest Feel But Close To The Canyon

I have camped at a number of campgrounds near the Grand Canyon in pursuit of finding the best fit for my many travel associates and followers of my blog. I found that this campground checked a lot of boxes for me in that it wasn't directly in the Grand Canyon and was a little smaller than the popular sites which can become a little overcrowded feeling during peak seasons. It is located in the Kalibab Forest just outside the of the Canyon area.

The area is green and full of life with nice pad sites equipped with fire rings and picnic tables. The area I pulled into was tent site #32 which was a couple sites over from the toilets and trash station. I like to be close enough to walk but not right beside where the traffic of other campers walking by constantly keeps me awake. This site was backed right into the trees and pretty clear overall.

The sites here feature drinking water near the restrooms but no hook ups on sites, which is perfect for my needs. I really enjoyed the layout of the campground and the loops which made it feel a bit smaller than many other campgrounds I had checked out.

I did notice this campground isn't one you can check out after mid October because of the weather in this area and road conditions, so I wouldn't recommend trying it out close to that deadline but when I was there in May it was perfect!!

TIPS:

• Walk in VS Reserved is a big question people will ask so I always suggest doing your research in advance especially if you are traveling in the more limited RV sites. All reservations for this site are made through recreation.gov and I did notice that while several of the tent loops are walk in only the RV site are not.

• There are animals in the area so remember to leave no items loose in your camp overnight. We saw several elk and raccoons.

It's like Montana!

This area makes you think that you are in Montana instead of the desert state of Arizona. This campground is close to The North Rim, but far enough away that you are spared a lot of the hecticness of camping IN the park

Nice area, well placed campsites

Great campsite to stay out if you're planning on going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Not too far, but far enough that it's not crazy busy. Nice campsites, trees provide some shading. Facilities are pretty decent, we had water right next to our site which was really convenient. BRING BUGSPRAY

Forest camping near the desert

This campsite is located in Kaibab National Forest, near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It’s pretty and primitive. It was fun camping in a forest after so much desert time. I’d recommend checking th S place out if you don’t want to deal with the crowds (and prices) that come with staying at the Grand Canyon. And as long as you have a Parks pass, you can come and go as you please. We asked about hiking and were told there really wasn’t anywhere to hike but there’s an old dirt road we could walk on. We tried it out and it was actually very pretty. And the road clearly had not been used for a very long time. It was remote and provided a lot of wildlife viewing. Some of the pictures are of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You cannot see it from the camp ground but it is close by.