the dyrt
Wilton, ALABAMA
Most Recent Wilton Camping Reviews
Clean and lots to do

Camped in a tent in a power & water hook up site. Our site wasn't the greatest. It didn't have any trees and one very bright street light, however, it was close to the bath house and pavilion. We were with a SOTF group, so I could hang my hammock on a friend's trees. We hiked around the large lake. It's a beautiful park! The staff was very friendly, helpful and had a great sense of humor! There are lots of trails, several lakes, horse stables, golf course, and a wildlife rescue center that does tours. Oh and a beach and paddle boats to rent. Would camp there in a heartbeat!

Close to Birmingham; close quarters

This state campground in the Birmingham AL metro area is a quick getaway for city and suburban dwellers. We were looking for continued warm fall weather on a slow trip north; this met the warmth and fall criteria in late October. The proximity to the city made it a good choice for exploring Birmingham.

Campground as Hotel

We left in the morning and came back in the evening. Using the campground strictly for accommodations worked out well; it wasn't a place where we would have wanted to hang around the campground all day. The large RVs crammed on sites that weren't very large gave us a closed in feeling. We pulled down the shade in our teardrop to avoid the light pollution from the campers who leave ground lights and other decorative lights on all night. (Do they leave their outdoor holiday lights on all night at home?)

Tent Only Sites

• The tent only sites are the best feature of this park. You can pitch your tent among the trees away from the RVs packed together in the rest of the park.

• There's no power or water at these sites.

• These sites are listed as tent only, but the park office attendant told us there were a few where we could fit our vehicle and teardrop. We declined because we thought we'd be too close to the road although we later saw several that would have been fine

• Site 42B is the BEST SITE IN THE PARK! You walk down to the site from the parking area, and then there's a great view of the water. I took a photo looking back at the site from the beach area.

Other Sites

• All sites not designated tent only have electricity and water. There are some sites with sewer hookup as well as 50 amp power. See site map photo.

• Loop A's sites are more spread out than sites in Loop B.

• Loop B: B33 was ok. I recommend sticking to the outside of this loop because there are two roads down the center where you'll have sites on both sides, across the road and behind you. Inside the loop seemed crowded because there were large RVs.

Restrooms

Several restrooms are spread throughout the park. They each have a couple toilets and a shower along with hot and cold water in the sinks. Restrooms are clean and a checklist indicates they're inspected 2 or 3 times per day. Everything works fine, but they could use an update inside. If the usage at the end of October is any indication of overall usage, this park is heavily used. It's close to Birmingham which has over a million people, one-fourth of Alabama's population. The state of Alabama should step up and do some renovation.

Site Taxes are HIGH

Be prepared for a significant jump to the cost when taxes are applied. Our campsite fee was a reasonable $22.65/night which included a 15% senior discount. Regular price is $26.65. Taxes and a $4.50 one-time fee were added for a grand total of $85.62 for 3 nights. If you're counting, that's 20+% in taxes.

Things To Do In The Park: boating, fishing, swimming, hiking. You can purchase a detailed hiking map for $1. If you aren't from the area and want to take in some Birmingham history, there are options.

• Red Mountain Park has hiking trails along with old iron ore mines. There's an adventure park with zip lining, climbing, etc.

• The base of Vulcan, Alabama's entry in the 1904 World's Fair, is the best place to see Birmingham. The museum next to the statue was well done; it provides a history of this steel city.

• The park across from the 16th Street Baptist Church (site of the bombing on 9/15/1963 that killed 4 young girls) is a window into the sad part of Birmingham's history. There's also a civil rights museum nearby.

• The craft breweries (Good People and Avondale) were good. And great barbecue at Saw. Pizza was good at Post Office Pies but they need to put more basil on a pizza advertised as a white basil pizza, not 5 little scraps.

closed

I was trying to go to Birmingham to see the Sloss Furnaces and wanted to stay the night before making it into town but this was closed!!

close to Birmingham attractions

I was very excited to visit Birmingham for my first trip. I didn’t know what to expect out of the city although I have heard several things about it’s long standing history.

One of the most attractive things about this location was that it was close to the Botanical Gardens which I had seen raved about and a lot of top magazines. Southern Living had featured them as one of their southern living gardens and I was very interested in seeing exactly just what that had in store.

Since I am a tent camper finding a location close to a city is sometimes somewhat difficult. However Birmingham location and proximity to this park are very close and that made for the best of both worlds.

While I was at the campground I enjoyed a wonderful tent site that was primitive. They have both primitive and improve sides at the campground and you can pick and choose from either. I enjoy the primitive sites simply because it does save a little bit of money while on one of my budget blog trips this stretches my dollars further and helps me go a little bit farther to the next location. I noticed that the RV sites were plenty long and could accommodate almost any size rig and still have space. There were both pull through and back and sides for both tent campers and RV campers.

The shower house although it was not the most improved our house I have been to was nice and the water pressure was strong. I enjoyed several hiking trails while out at the park during the day and then made my way into Birmingham for the evening.

The community of Birmingham it’s a wonderful place and I truly enjoyed this stop I only hope that I can explore it more on my next trip there. So many things to do while here it was hard to not have a bit more time here.

Backpacking near Birmingham

Update for recent visit: Check out my other reviews of Oak Mountain to get an idea of some of the amazing hiking and places to see views. This site is one of four backcountry sites that the park offers. I have been to this one twice now since it is the closest to a parking area so is the most forgiving if you get a late start. The major thing to be aware of is that they do not allow fires at any of these sites so keep that in mind and you will need to either bring in your own water or purify it from one of the small seasonal streams that runs near the site. Overall this is a nice large site and you will definitely have your privacy since they closely regulate who stays at these backcountry locations and only a single group is allowed at each at a time. It is a wonderful place to get away for a night and see the stars.

Great camping near Birmingham

Update for most recent visit: This is by far the best place to camp near Birmingham and has many different options. I was just there this past weekend and it was so beautiful to see all the fall colors starting to show. My wife and I hiked up to the King’s Chair lookout on this visit and it was such an amazing sight. I would definitely recommend this time of year to visit the park. Make sure to check out my videos that show off some of the great features of the trails. The campground here has several different types of sites including walk in (tent only), RV, and even horse camping. Just make sure to check in advance if they have space since it can fill up in the busy season.

Scenic

This place is beautiful! Well kept, safe, but still way out in the open and with an incredible natural feel. Waters great too

Well kept, beautiful, family fun

We went to Oak Mountain for a boy scout weekend camping trip. They have a bmx trail, nice places to fish and swim, shower houses, walking trails, you are able to build campfires. Our scouts and parents had so much fun.

Great camping experience

This is a gem right in the Birmingham area! Oak Mountain is located in the suburbs of Birmingham, but it's surrounded by a vast natural area and a huge lake. I camped right on the lake and it was the perfect place for a midnight swim!

Great place to camp lots of things to do!

This campground was a great place to get away! There are a lot of tent sites that are back in the woods for quiet and solitude. The swimming area and dock were a short walk from our campsite. The kids loved it. There are many beautiful trails for hiking. We did the hike to peavine falls! Beautiful!

Great SP

We love going to Oak Mountain SP when we are close to Birmingham! Beautiful and peaceful!

Nice Site near your vehicle

With the sites being inside Oak Mtn State park you get to enjoy the other attractions in the park which include Hiking, Biking, Petting Zoo, Horseback Riding, Lake, Swimming Beach, Wakeboard Course and BMX Track. They have a good number of site with a few having electrical hook up. They also have RV spots. They have a playground for the kids to play on. Several bathhouses spaced out over the camp ground. They also have a small convenient store located in the check in office.

This place is awesome! Lots to do and yummy ice cream.

Beautiful historic buildings and a very cold spring fed creek. Great for kids bikes and swimming in the creek. Bathhouses need attention but overall very nice camping place.

Quite Escape

This campground was unique as each site was set into the hills. We had lots of privacy and peaceful quite. They had two play areas with balls and other toys for the kids. It was very clean and friendly.

Beautiful location

Beautiful location but the bathrooms were dirty. It seems we went during a semi busy time. The have lots of spots and most are in the shade. There is a creek to splash in and lots of history to enjoy. There is a nice playground for the kids. Bring lots of bug spray.

Friendly staff but ...

For RV sites there is no shade. Your stacked up close and there is absolutely no privacy. There were 50+ kids running around in the few days we were there. The showers kept us away as they looked like they need some tlc, but the rest of the bath house was ok. For the price I expected more. Will not return.

Peaceful retreat

Camping for all!

This camp site has camping from primitive all the way to cabins. Bring your RV or camper and enjoy the views. Situated on a beautiful mountain side just minute from university of alabama. Camp beside a churning creek and listen to nature. Historical museum included with very reasonable camping fee or just a visitor charge. Very nice homestyle restaurant and creamery in site. Craft cabins to keep the kids entertained and plenty of trails for hiking. Visit the original forge site or go watch the blacksmith school and learn some tricks.

Beautiful, we’ll kept, huge state park with awesome well marked trails

stop at office and ask for map of park. Ask about all the well marked trails and things to do

Beautiful!

I enjoy this place! So much to do and so much to enjoy! The aviary rehabilitation center is amazing!!

AWESOME!

This is one of my favorite campgrounds in Alabama. So much for so many to enjoy. In the fall they have a Halloween decoration contest between campers and then after that comes the Christmas. There is many trails to enjoy. My favorite spot is the bubbling springs, no matter how hot the summer sun is the water is always ice cold and bubbling! They have an Ice cream/candy store on site, a church is located on the campground. There is a restaurant in the park. The third weekend of every month they have the trade days which is a huge sale of trades and other goodies. So many hidden treasures in this park! Be sure not to miss!

Pleasant!

Nice quite camping area. nice bath houses, walking trails and wonderful inground pool!

Great for Primitive or Camper sites

My friends and I stayed here and it was so lovely. There were quite a lot of other people there but it was still a fun place to primitive camp! It is a beautiful and clean site.

Busy on events but quiet the rest of the time.

This campground is near to home so it's our most frequented camping spot. There is a nice little Creek that flows through for fishing. My family has caught small bass and bream and once a year in April they stock it with trout and hold a trout tournament. There is a natural spring called bubbling springs that all the kids love splashing in. It feeds right into the creek and often you find people swimming in the creek there. The creek snakes through park with walking trails alongside it so the walks are nice there. They have many trails that people ride bikes on as well. There is a museum to look at the historical aspects of the park. The old iron works still stands. All of the cabins are old site cabins that were brought in and you can rent those. My family from out of state have rented at least once a year for the last decade. If you look at the website for the park they list activities year round. All kinds of things for old and young alike. Tannehill will always hold a a special place due to the memories made with our family there!

So Good that it Suprises you.

I had another wonderful stay at Tannehill State Park but this time with family. This place is close enough to the interstate that it is very convenient yet so very secluded and peacful. The cabins are basic but efficent and hold historical values. Several activities such as the Museum, Frontier Farm and Minature ridable train will keep you engaged but the best is the trail system. The Mountain Bike trails are a blast and well maintained. Definately worth the trip for that alone as my previous trips have been for. I highly recomend this place regardless of your style of camping.

Cold with coyotes

Campsite is super close to hiking trails and there are no other sites near you so it’s super quiet. Only issue we had was that we went when there was a burn restriction which means no way to scare off predators. Once the sun went down our campsite was surrounded by coyotes that didn’t care about how much noise we made to scare them off, causing us to squeeze 3 people into a one person tent (the other two were hammock camping). Great story to tell though! Definitely would recommend camping here just know what you might be signing up for.

Beautiful and fun

We stayed at Oak Mountain for a mountain bike competition. We didn't have sewer or shade, but we really enjoyed the hiking, biking, and playground. We'd love to go back to enjoy the beach and boats/kayaks. Friends had a wooded site where we hung out, cooked, and served community meals. We met some lovely people who were there for horseback riding and they gave our little a free horseback ride! Made his day!

Tremendous Park!

There are tons of things to do at Oak Mountain - there are hiking trails, mountain biking trails, water sports like kayaking and swimming, plus the camping is great! Very easy to navigate and perfect for a weekend or weeklong trip!

Great day trip

Been here a lot over the last few years and we usually hang out at the small man made beach or hop in the boat or kayaks. The beach can be pretty crowded during the summer but it's a decent size and the bathrooms are nearby. Last time I went I found a needle in the sand, so keep an eye out. I'm not sure how often the beach is cleaned. Lots of people in boats and the lake is huge, great for towing, skiiand m fishing and cruising.