Bon Air , ALABAMA

Most Recent Bon Air Camping Reviews
Protected Campsite

Check out my photos below to get a better look at this site and pull up my other reviews of Cheaha for my take on hiking in the area. This site specifically is a nice protected area a short way off the trail near the intersection of the Pinhoti and the Odum trail. It is not far from a water source though the water is seasonal and can be very low in winter. Be prepared to not have water for pumping and bring extra in dry times. The site itself is well cleared and has an established fire pit. There are also several large boulders that work well to block the wind and make this a more comfortable space in bad weather or when it is cold out.

Small car camping site

This is a cute car camping site that we have stayed at several times. It provides great access to hiking in Cheaha and is perfect as a home base for adventures in the area. It was actually closed for COVID when we were there but I believe that it is now reopened. I would definitely check online to make sure it is open before planning to camp here. I would definitely suggest this site over the main Cheaha campgrounds since it is more private and primitive which I prefer. Not a great site for RVs though.

Clean campground, pleasant check in

We only stayed one night. Large campground, broken into 3 areas. Lots of camp sites and cabins too. Campground was wooded, clean and had all the amenities you could need.

Well maintained shelter

This is a review for the backpacking shelter located along the Pinhoti trail in Weogufka State Forest. This is the closest camping site to the Southern Terminus of the trail and is a great overnight option. The shelter is has a platform that goes around 3 walls on the inside which is enough space for about 3 people to stay comfortably. It is also very well maintained and has a logbook. Additionally, another nice feature of this site is the picnic bench and large firepit situated out in front of the shelter. There is also incredibly easy water access since the shelter sits alongside the creek. When we were here recently there had just been a hurricane that came through a couple of days earlier and there were a ton of trees down. But it seems like there was already maintenance in process to clear the area out. Just be aware that this made it hard to find the trail at points so come prepared with a map. Check out my video review below to get a better look inside the shelter.

Easy water access

This is a nice sized campsite alongside the river right off of the Chinnabee Silent Trail. Check out my video below for my take on this site. It is definitely one of the larger and more developed backcountry sites along the trail and is far enough back from the river to not have to worry about flooding. I also liked how close it is to the waterfall so you could set up camp and go for a nice evening swim before cooking dinner. It's probably not the best option if you only have a hammock to sleep in but for a tent it is perfect. If you are not an early riser be aware that this site is right alongside the trail so you may hear people who get out on the trail in the morning. Overall, there are many sites to choose from along this trail and most of the year you will have your pick. If you are backpacking in the busy season though this is a great site if you can get it early.

Review Update

I was back at this site again over the summer and got some updated photos and I wanted just to refresh my review. There was ample water for pumping while there this time and I wanted to share that this is by far one of the best sites in the area for large groups. If you are coming with a church or boy scout group you can't beat the space that this site provides. It is also at the intersection of multiple trails which makes it perfect for backpacking loops.

Pinhoti Group Site

Check out my other reviews of the area for more discussion of my favorite trails and watch the video below for a good view of this site. Overall, it is a large site with a nice fire pit perfect for a large group. Someone also conveniently set up logs for sitting on. The only downside is this site doesn't have a view from the site itself but it's only a short walk to one of the nearby overlooks. Be prepared to do some serious climbing to get up to the ridge though.

I researched the best time to come to see the leaves turning. We were not disappointed. The mountain views have been breathtaking. The campgrounds are awesome too. The sites are nice sized with plenty of space space between. This one will be a repeat for sure.

Love! Love! Love!

We're craft vendors at Tannehill Trade Days March- November and we've started camping out there every month. My grandkids absolutely love it. The ride their bikes, play in the creek, and eat great ice cream from the creamery!

Quiet and Peaceful

I stayed here 10-7-20 as a quick hike in, camp, hike out trip. I live fairly close. The site was close to the creek and had a fire ring. It’s farther off the trail so you have to be looking for it. The previous review led me there. It’s quiet and peaceful. Plenty of room for hammocks or tents.