Yurts
Guernsey State Park is located in Wyoming
10 Reviews of Guernsey State Park
Options options options

Fun place to go.

Cool hiking trails, fun biking trails, good place to explore history, swim and boat.

Campsites are spread out so you can find what you need.

Go for the scenery, not the facilities

We stayed four weeknights and had a pretty good time. The sites were loose gravel and very unlevel. Not too crowded during the week. The vault toilet was close to our site but you had to really need to use it to go in there. (Think ‘fly-tornado’ when you open the door.) We ventured out to use the shower house and found that it was a single shower for both men and women, for the entire state park! We couldn’t believe it… but more surprising was that it was a pay-to-use shower… $1 for the first four minutes and a quarter for each additional minute thereafter. Not a huge cost, granted, but we paid around $40/night for a campsite. That’s double what we’re used to paying for a much nicer campsite in our part of the world. The views around the lake were awesome. We’ll go back just for this reason. There were many trails in the park but most were poorly marked and some were simply not able to be found due to overgrowth.

Hot and sunny - but might be nice with a boat

This was rated highly by others but we didn’t enjoy our stay. The State Park is spread out over a few miles around a lake formed by a dam. The entrance fee collector was not helpful in describing where to camp. Driving through it looks like you pay a fee to get in and then look for campfire rings for a dispersed camping site. Little loops are given different campground names.

It was hot and we needed some shade. We found one spot that was down a canyon and away from the water. We were the only ones in the loop so it was private but what a mess. Garbage was all over and I couldn’t even use the men’s vault toilet near us. Water pressure was amazing and garbage cans were easily found at the end of the canyon loop.

We did drive around to see the highlights and everything is out in the sun. They say they have miles of hiking trails but we didn’t go far because of the heat.

If you have a boat and get a spot by the water this might have been a different experience for us.

Great base camp

We stayed here and traveled to the local sites. The camping area has a great view. The RV sites are pretty level and some have power and water. At the entrance is a good place to fill up fresh water tanks if you are staying at a dispersed site. The dump station is at the entrance as well. The staff and Park Rangers were very kind and courteous as we visited the different historic locations. We will definitely return.

Guernsey, Wy

Stayed in the Yurts here for part of my honeymoon. Great views and very peaceful. Close to the Oregon Trail Ruts

Great views of reservoir!

Easy access and views of the lake. Forested; private sites available. Interesting history/museum. Some short trails. Bring bug spray.

Massive Campground with Plenty to Choose from

If you can't find a campground you need to not be camping. There are options ranging from Tent to Yurts. It really is a diverse place. Lots of big rigs with big boats at this place. The sites range from no electricity (which made it a bit louder with generators going at night) to 50 amp. Little dusty in places. We stayed in Sandy Beach and had a great view of the water which was perfect at sunset, but we also had the trains near as well. The campground didn't have flush toilets which is why most have their big rigs to use. The town itself doesn't offer too much and it looked as though most people were there to boat.

Boats and RVs

This camp site is not ideal for those who want a camp site away from it all. There are a ton of RVs that are setting up at all hours of the day and night. My camp site was near a very active railroad track. The bathroom facilities were clean and we were by the resevoir. Overall, just not what I was looking for. The site was super pricey once all the fees were included. Not worth it.

Guernsey State Park

It was absolutely beautiful. Calm and quiet. We had a wonderful time!

Panoramic Views with many camping options

I was looking for a place along I-25 to break up a drive, and I was not disappointed. I was a little apprehensive picking a place 10+ mile East of the highway, since I know most of the great views fo the Tetons are West of the highway, but this place delivered in spades.

First off, there are plenty of places to camp within the park. Choose from a beachside spot or a beach point (+100s of feet) view. I elected for a small, 3 plot only place called Davis Bay to get some solitude. The Ranger who ran into me during his rounds of the grounds said this place is pretty vacant on weekdays (I camped on a Wed) with places like the above mentioned spots along with Yurts and a place called "the Castle" available for group rentals.

Overall the park is in really great shape, and I highly recommend a bike ride/hike/drive up to Brimmer's Point, which provides a lot of the views you'll see from the photos.

My area had no water, and I noticed the same from Beachside spots. Skyline View campgrounds was the one with the potable water.

While I imagine this place is fantastic for everything from water skiing and fishing to party boating along the river (with various launch points) it is highly dependent on the water level, which appears at the mercy of the township since this is a reservoir lake-related setup so if you're one for water sports, I recommend a call to the park to get a report on water levels.