Yurts
Hike In
Shenandoah River - Guest State Park is located in Virginia
20 Reviews of Shenandoah River - Guest State Park
great with kids

This campground is nice and the primitive spots are right next to the river. The spots are a short walk from the parking area and the campground provides wagons to transport your stuff. great fishing and swimming right at your camping spot.

Riverside camping

One of my favorite campgrounds - particularly when I bring first time campers. Clean grounds and importantly clean facilities. Park offers very doable hiking and mountain biking options for beginners. Campground access to the Shenandoah River

River Getaway

We adored this campground. Initially we reserved a camping cabin. We arrived early and had the opportunity to drive around and check out the park. Lucky that we did. The camping cabin without AC was in direct sun along with the entire camping pad and all other camping cabins were the same. Additionally, they were snug tight with the RVs without any isolation or seclusion. The pad is very close to the loop road so if you have children it makes for a cramped area to play. We elected to trade for a tent site which was right off the Shenandoah River. Beautiful! Well shaded and large! It's marked a "primitive", but hardly is. Has picnic table, showers, camp ring and camp pad. The only thing "primitive" about it was it's a walk-in campground. There are carts to help you carry your gear in. Staff was friendly. Park very well maintained. Bathhouse was AWESOME, but POOR ventilation so it makes for a SAUNA when it's in the warm season. You can wade, fish, canoe, kayak, zipline, tube, hike, bird watch, etc. Other than the camping cabins, this place was super.

Great park

Great state park. There are plenty of things to do there. They have a visitor center with programs, zip lining for the adventure in all of us and also hiking. The camping sites are nice. They are not very private and shaded with trees. They also have cabins to rent.

Everything

Go bike, fish, swim, hike, relax,

State park on the regular

This is a good state park. Not anything fancy. The views are amazing and the hiking make up for the no frills compared to other state park facilities.

Peace and quiet. Communing with nature at it's finest.

Great part of the Shenandoah National Park

I would highly recommend this campsite/park for fishermen, boaters, and families looking for a fun time near the water. The park offers cultural and nature based events on a regular basis. There are picnic tables, primitive campgrounds right near the water, campsites with electrical/water amenities, and cabins in the park.

Beautiful VA

Absolutely gorgeous mountains and scenery. There is a chance you will even get to see some black bears-- saw them once thankfully from my car

Lots of activities but we went on an off and cold day

It wasn't super cold, but it wasn't beautiful. Lots of water activities and all things are rent-able. Maybe I just didn't have a great time, but this place is HUGE.

Top Notch! Huge campsites!

What a wonderful stay! This is one of my favorite campgrounds!!! I will start at the beginning! When you book online you can not pick your site! This is the only campground I have stayed at that I could not pick the site. You book online the dates you would like. The day you arrive it is first come first serve! I recommend you arrived at the check in time so you can pick your site! We arrived at check in and had our pick of the sites! Brings us to the sites! They are huge! The site we were on was stone but very nice! Low dirt coming in your camper! Water/electric sites available! A few small cabins available! The state park has a lot to offer! There are trails that run right by the campsites! So good for a hike or a nice morning trail run! I chose to run in the morning and ran the trail right alone the Shennandoah River! Which runs through the park! You can fish the river, tube down the river or boat!!! There are beautiful overlooks in the states park! There is a great little nature center! The rangers were very nice and helpful! During your stay you purchase firewood right at the camp host! Very nice!! When you stay there you are close to some area attractions! Take a drive down to Luray Caverns! Get there early! About an hour drive! You are also close to the Shenandoah National park entrance! You do have to pay to get in the National park! (pass is good for 7 days) But well worth it! Kids can do activities and become junior rangers! Tons of ranger lead activities to offer! Or just drive down skyline drive and enjoy multiple overlooks! Take a hike on miles of trails, including the AT that runs right through the park!!! Pack your lunch if you like or stop at the snack bar! But be careful there are black bears! One ran out in front of our car! Obey the speed limit! Happy Camping!!!