Camping in Shumate

217 Reviews of 40 Shumate, Virginia Campgrounds

Jay N.
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2021

Nice water views!

We stayed in Meador site 14, which was the furthest away from the bath house (still only maybe 150 yards), but it was on the water & was the most secluded (just meaning it's at the end of the row not between other spots). It was freshly mowed, had a fire ring, picnic table, & was right on…

• View from Meador site 14
SiteMeador 14
Cory G.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2021

Awesome Handicapped Spots

Showed up Saturday evening and was able to get a great spot with a view of the river.

SThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Aug. 1, 2021

Peaceful & Quiet Camping

Arrived on a Friday morning & was the only one there. Had my pick of all the sites! Campground was very clean with trash bins & porta-potties. Trails were well maintained & short walk down to the river. Would definitely stay again!

David F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2021

Fun and Adventure for all

We state at the tent campsites for 4 days. Very clean and well kept. I will say the outhouses were a bit rough, but most are—a lot of hiking and sightseeing. I could not be there during prime trout season, so I didn't get any fishing in. I would recommend this state park.

SiteSite 12
L
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2021

Army camp

Was okay, didn't end up staying due to limited spots available. Close to water, sites are wooded. There are 10 drive up sites and 6 walk in sites.

Sitearmy camp
Kevin M.
Reviewed Jul. 25, 2021

Nice weekend getaway!

We ventured out to this very remote campground. There is no cell signal or WiFi, so perfectly made for escaping the daily grind. The tent sites are awesome and you are truly in the wilderness with the closes store being 20 miles away. We had a wonderful time but the water was turned off at the site…

Heather H.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2021

Great quiet little spot, wonderful hosts!

The hosts made it super easy to reserve, check in etc. Truly nice people. The place is not too big or small, just right. Very clean. Nice tenants! Spots are long but pretty close together. Wifi didn't work, we're used to that at public places. We're a triple axl so we had to take it nice and slow…

m
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2021

Really nice state park

Beautiful park! Scenic beach, nice trails. Clean and quiet campground with easy pull through sites. Friendly staff. Would definitely go back!

AThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 7, 2021

Easy stop

On the blue ridge parkway. We stayed in one of the cabins, it was clean with fresh linens, a fridge, and microwave. Comfortable relaxing porch chairs to watch the sunset over the mountains. The owners are super friendly and helpful.

• cabin6
  • sunset
  • some of the campsites
Sitecabin 6
W
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2021

Bring lots of people

Lots of space, cheap price, walking distance from the lake raccoons and skunks everywhere all night.

Sitegroup site
SThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2021

Looks good on New River

I didn’t camp here, but I took out my kayak at the boat ramp and looked around. Vault M/F toilet, BYOTP. No hookups and I didn’t see a water spigot. Plenty of shade. Closed during flood.

Jean C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2021

Beautiful, small state park near national park

This is a beautiful, small state park with a combination of grassy and wooded sites. Some of the sites offer just water, while others offer both water and electric; none offer sewer, but there is a dump station near the check-in area. Bathhouse is clean with flush toilets, warm showers, and…

• Little Beaver State Park Site 8B
  • Little Beaver State Park Site 10
  • Little Beaver State Park Site 11
Tucker B.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2021

Nice free spot on the river!

It's hard to beat a free campsite right on the river.

Got lucky to find a site here after trying both Grandview Sandbar and Glade's Creek on the other side of the road.

No AT&T service so I only stayed two nights (gotta work during the week!).

Still, it wasn't crowded and I enjoyed evening…

JThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2021

Laid back camping

Such a cool little slice of camping fun. Came out for a Saturday night, set up camp, enjoyed some good beer and saw some live music!

Decided to stay another night. Super cool place.

C
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2021

Amazing

We liked everything! The campground had large sites, nice showers, and a laundry area! The amenities and restaurant were also great!