Barton, VERMONT
Most Recent Barton Camping Reviews
Ski bum camping

Perfect for ski bums. Access to xcs, downhill, and snow machine trails.

Great pit stop

Stayed here for a wedding. They sites were clean and everyone was friendly. The pool and bathrooms are clean and very nice! Quiet campground, we were there during the fall. Loved our grassy site!

Within walking distance to Santas Village. Would highly recommend Waterwheel for breakfast/brunch!

Quiet Park

Came here in the fall with some friends. Dog friendly, cool trails to walk on. The sites were very private. Would love to come back! The sites and bathrooms were also VERY clean. Friendly staff!

Quiet Park

Little River is a must-do

Little River is one of my favorite campgrounds ever! A group of friends and I decided to get one last camping trip in before winter hit - and we came across Little River on this website. Most sites were taken (as they usually are) so plan your stay well in advance. I'd recommend sites 26 (where we stayed), 27, 40, 51, 77 and 81. There's also a few easy historical hiking trails within the campground if you don't feel like leaving for a whole day to hike! For those who stay up late to stargaze - getting down to the reservoir at night can be a little tricky - but its worth it to see the moon/stars reflect on the water.

Amazing Campground!

My girlfriend and I visited last year for a nice getaway and absolutely loved the park. The spots were spacious with enough privacy between sites. The lake was gorgeous to swim in and had different rafts and stuff in the water for public use. The bathrooms were well maintained along with the showers.

Can’t get enough!

My wife and I went here for our first ever camping experience together when we started dating. We had a small tent, it ended up raining most of the trip, we got soaked. The staff at the campground were so nice, they let us change into one of their cabins. They are such a nice addition to their campground, allowing you to have more space but still be in the wilderness. Since then we’ve been back two other times and would go back in a heartbeat. The reservoir is beautiful and it’s close enough to great food and drink in town.

Some open sites, some woodsy!

Pool, playground, larger campground for this area. Full hookups, seasonal options, new owners!

Well equipped campground!

This campground has everything! Horse carriage rides, paved roads, 2 pools, playgrounds, mini golf, fireworks…

Loveeee this Camgeound!

Super friendly staff. We go the same week each year with a hoard of kids and they remember us each year. My daughter had gotten more candy out of them then she know what to do with answering the daily trivia question right. Clean, great sites for the person who goes the scenery as well as those wanting to hike, fish, hunt, and more! Some sites have new shelters, which are nice when you camp and it’s calling for rain. Easily pitch a couple four person tents or a tent and table area, off the groups and well protected in the protected deck shelter. Convenience store less than a mile each way, In an area that is much less populated.

Another rustic campground great as a hiking base, more RV sites than SL1

For site selection, sites 22-26 border Zealand Rd, so you will hear the traffic heading to and from the Zeland and Sugarloaf trailheads. Tent only sites have tent/campfire areas that are a few steps up or down from the parking area. All sites are large and relatively level. This side has a large open area in the middle, great for playing games, running around, and stargazing (though the tall trees will limit the scope of your view). More of these sites are suitable for an RV than the ones at Sugarloaf 1.

As I noted in my review of Sugarloaf I, you won’t have cell service, but you’ll be in a prime location for hitting the trail early, whether you want to head up to Zealand, Hale, or over to Mt Washington. The Mt Washington Cog Railway and Bretton Woods are also just a few miles down the road.

For a short, family-friendly hike, you’ll find the trail to the Sugarloaf Mountains just after Sugarloaf II. There’s a small parking lot just before the Zealand River crossing and the trail is on the far side of the bridge. It hits a saddle and you can bag both middle and north sugarloaf in turn. Venture to the end of the road and you can catch the road to Zealand Falls and Hut, a nice place for a picnic. In addition to Zealand, longer more strenuous nearby hikes include Garfield, Galehead, Twins, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower and more. WMNF trailhead parking is $3/day or you can buy a weekly pass at forest service and other locations; your annual National Parks pass covers parking, too.

Zealand Rd is closed during the winter, opening in the spring only after mud season has passed and the road is dried out. The campground opens after that, in late May and is open until Columbus Day. Print your reservations before you come.

For a shower, head south through Crawford Notch to Dry River Campground where there are coin-operated showers. If you are hiking or exploring in Franconia Notch, there are coin-op showers at Lafayette Place, too, but parking on weekends is a nightmare.

Fosters’ Crossroads in Twin Mountain and Bretton Woods Market and Deli are your closest spots for picking up snacks or forgotten items.

Rustic Campground offers great base for hiking

Just a half mile off 302 is the first of the two Sugarloaf Campgrounds. Offering large, wooded sites with more seclusion than the Zealand campground directly on 302, Sugarloaf I and nearby Sugarloaf II offer reservable sites with flush toilets and running water via hand pumps. More of the sites here are better suited to tents rather than RVs. I haven't stayed here, but I've driven through a few times this summer/fall to get a sense of it.

You won’t have cell service, but you’ll be in a prime location for hitting the trail early, whether you want to head up to Zealand, Hale, or over to Mt Washington. The Mt Washington Cog Railway, Franconia Nothc, and Bretton Woods are also just a few miles down the road.

For a short, family-friendly hike, you’ll find the trail to the Sugarloaf Mountains just after Sugarloaf II. There’s a small parking lot just before the Zealand River crossing and the trail is on the far side of the bridge. Venture to the end of the road and you can catch the road to Zealand Falls and Hut, a nice place for a picnic. In addition to Zealand, longer more strenuous nearby hikes include Garfield, Galehead, Twins, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower and more. WMNF trailhead parking is $3/day or you can buy a weekly pass at forest service and other locations; your annual National Parks pass covers parking, too.

Clean, quiet

Clean bathrooms. No cell service

Brilliant Fall Foliage and RoM Pack Ranger Review at Sugarloaf Campground

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

First off, the campground review. Sugarloaf I campground is located on Zealand Road in Carroll, NH. This is a basic, no-frills US Forest Service site. Zealand Road is the access road for 3 different popular trail heads for hikes in the White Mountains. We chose to stay at Sugarloaf to be closer to the Sugarloaf Mtn. trail head since we planned to do a sunrise hike up to Middle Sugar loaf with our children the next morning. Sugarloaf Campground is less than half a mile from the trail head.

Zealand Rd. is off of Rt 302. The campground is far enough down Zealand Road, that there was not any road noise. We visited the campground in the beginning of October on a Thursday. There are were plenty of extra sites, though several sites had signs indicating that they were already reserved for the weekend. You can call the campground management office to reserve, which would be wise for holiday weekends such as Labor Day or Columbus Day. The website is here.

The top of the campground had nice views of Middle Sugarloaf and Mt. Hale. Our campsite, #5, did not have views, but we were not bothered by this! The campsites are spaced a nice distance apart--we camped next to our friends and did not hear them at all when we were in our separate sites. There was a more energetic group two sites down, and we could hear them, but it wasn't loud.

The bathrooms are basic flush toilets, with a sink for hand washing, but no soap. Fresh water for drinking is available at several pressurized spigots that are interspersed throughout the campground.

The campground would be a PERFECT home base for hiking, or for exploring the area during foliage season. There are many maple trees in the campground, and it was exceptionally beautiful while we stayed there. Even with a little rain, the experience was magical.

GEAR REVIEW:

As a member of the Dyrt Ranger team, I am given opportunities to test out gear from various companies. This trip I was chosen to test out a RoM Pack from RoM Outdoors. I chose the pack in the Tan color.

The RoM pack is a creative design--basically an origami style design that allows it to transform from a pack to a waterproof blanket and also into a hooded poncho. The outside of the pack has large, detachable zippered pouches which are great for things like headlamps and maps. The inside of the pack is made of a soft, brushed microfiber, while the outside is a super tough nylon fabric.

I was excited to test the pack out on this particular trip because we were undertaking a sunrise hike with a bunch of kids ages 4-12, and I needed a pack that would be comfortable, while also holding plenty of gear. I was also excited because the temps on the mountain would be below freezing, and I knew the kids would want something insulating to sit on instead of bare rock. The hike I tested it on was 3.2 miles round trip.I overloaded the pack with hats, sweaters, granola bars, plenty of water, and a down sleeping bag.

I found the straps to be surprisingly comfortable, considering they are wider than any of my other pack straps. The distributed the load well. The waist and sternum strap system was a little tricky, but they did help disperse and balance the load.

The true test of the pack was when I ended up needed to give my 4 year old a ride up the mountain. I carried her in my arms, and the pack stayed secure and comfy while I huffed and puffed my way up the mountain. I really liked that once we were on the mountain, and I had unfolded the blanket, the little removable pouches kept everything small organized, so it was easy to reattach them and not lose things when we were ready to hike back down.

9 kids ended up sharing the waterproof blanket as a seat, and they all thought it was great!

IMPROVEMENTS: I wish there was a way that the back of the RoM pack could be stiffer. It tends to morph to the shape of whatever is inside it, so a bit of stiffness would distribute the load even better. Because of this, I wouldn't take it on long, strenuous hikes, but it is perfect for shorter distances where you want the option of a nice place to sit, and don't mind the slightly heavier weight.

I also wished that the water bottle pockets were slightly larger--I have Klean Kanteen regular sized bottles, and it was a tight fit to get them in.

They thought of just about everything

My mom and I don't have the same camping styles, at all. She was treating my boys and I to an adventure which included Clark's Trading Post (the bear show is a must-see) less than 30 minutes away. I wasn't going to be picky so I conceded. I was pleasantly surprised! They thought of nearly everything. There was a playground and activities for the kids, an indoor pool, and store (must spend $10 to use a card by the way). The sites were smaller than I'm used to with dispersed camping but they were still decently sized. We stayed in one of the little adorable cabins, for convenience sake, which had potable water. The boys loved it. I loved it. But no, this doesn't guarantee I'll trust my mom's camping choices from now on. Great spot nonetheless!

Nice comfortable campground with lean tos close to mount Mansfield

Smugglers Notch State Park

I’d say this was one of Vermont’s best kept secrets, except I don’t think it’s exactly a secret. Even in October, the Park seemed full with visitors and Stowe was hopping! Leaf peepers were in full force and the grounds were absolutely spectacular- I really picked the perfect time of year to go. Nights got pretty brisk, but the foliage was breathtaking.

The Park, located along scenic Rte108, has about 20 tent sites and 14 lean-to’s well dispersed throughout the grounds. A couple spots were drive-in sites, accessible to those with disabilities; most had small pathways and/or stairwells leading to their platforms. There was not a bad site within the entire vicinity. All were fully shaded and extremely private. Although, I’d be curious about checking out Sites 1 or 16 next time around!

Bathrooms were clean and the main office sold firewood at the entrance. Facilities are also pet friendly. Plus, there are so many hiking trails and recreational opportunities in and around the Park-from Stowe Mountain Resort to the quaint shops in town and local craft breweries. And even with the Park seeming “full”, the grounds were perfectly quiet, without the incessant sound of generators you find at larger state parks.

Without a doubt, Smugglers Notch State Park is a favorite of mine!

Fantastic base for day hikes in Franconia Notch

The best reason to stay here is if you are planning to hike in the Franconia Notch area, esp. if you want to hike Franconia Ridge, doing the loop up Falling Waters and down Bridle Path. You won't have to fight for a parking spot and it will be easy to get an early start, which is particularly important if you plan to do this hike on a pleasant weekend day! On the same side of the park are trails to Lonesome Lake and on up to Cannon and the Kinsman range. The Pemi River and Trail run through the campground as does the paved multi-purpose trail, so if biking's more your thing, it's a nice way to explore attractions through the Notch.

It's sandwiched between the mountains and the highway, so sites are close together and you WILL hear traffic, but it offers bathrooms with flush toilets and hot showers ($) and dishwashing sinks. The majority of the sites are reservation only and summer weekends you'll want to plan ahead. There's a camp store with a few camp essentials, dry firewood, souvenirs, and a table to sit and explore hiking plans, etc. They post weather information out front and there is a hiker information center out front as well.

Some of the sites along the river are better suited to tents than trailers, with the tent/table/fire on a pad closer to the river. Most sites are wooded, though there are a few (15 & 16) in an open grassy area in a separate loop that is up the hill behind the camp store.

Small Private Campground tie-ed to a large general store and restaurant

Pretty small campground. Kind of expensive for how close the sites are. I think we paid +$40 for one night. It's very nice to be right on the river which is why we chose this campground online.

Pretty standard.

Our fire pit was in a depression near the river but it was sloped in a way where you couldn't put chairs near it so we ended up sitting on the ground which was a little uncomfortable. Firewood bundle was $8 and was kind if damp. Took a long time and a lot of work to get it burning.

Could hear the road noise pretty much from everywhere in the campground. Not remote at all if you are looking for deep woods kind peace and quiet.

Year-round camping convenient to Franconia and Crawford Notches

This is one of the rare New Hampshire campgrounds that is open year round. For years I drove by this campground deterred by the run-down, deserted red building next door that is NOT associated with the campground. On a last-minute whim I called and snagged one of the final two sites for the holiday weekend, spending 3 nights here. I wanted to be someplace where I could track the baseball playoffs, so finding a place with wifi (fair, better closer to the bath house) and 2-3 bar 3G/4G Verizon access was a plus. This campground has a large number of seasonal sites, but also has sites available for the occasional camper, with discounts available if you stay for a week.

Sites are wooded, generally moderately sized, though the seasonal sites are much larger. Tent sites do not have hook-ups, but they have small shelters that provide additional protection fro the weather. Some of the tent sites are sloped. They also tend to be long and narrow, opening up to a wider area with the picnic table, fire pit and tent pad. Tent sites in the K row are near the road, so although you don't get much campground noise, you do hear road traffic.

The bathhouse is clean, well-lit, and heated (a treat on those cold autumn mornings). There's also a laundry room with 4 washers and dryers if you need to clean up or dry out after a rough day on the trails. Sites are close to each other. They've separated sites with fence panels in some places to provide some privacy. There's an inground pool, a large playground, and a horsehoe pit.

Activities in the area include very convenient access to hiking trails ranging from family friendly Surgarloafs to classic 4000-footers along Franconia Ridge, and peaks along the northern ridge of the Pemi Wilderness (Garfield, Galehead, Twins), trails to Mt Washington and the Presidentials, as well as numerous peaks and waterfalls in the Crawford Notch area. Cog railway is just a few miles down the road if you want to catch an early ride. Trails for ATVs and snowmobiles are also nearby.

Cant beat view over lake into the white mountains

Fun and beautiful spot to stay. Can be crowded in summer months. Hike in is fairly easy, caretaker on site most nights. Will supply food and water if purchased. Must reserve to stay

Tough hike in, but worth it for the quiet and secluded location

The hike in isnt easy especially considering you'll need to carry all your gear in to stay.

Amazing stay, no signs of society (airplanes/cars/phone service). Stayed in the new shelter on the edge of the pond. There are a few tent platforms also. There is a raised toilet.

Good spot to stay to bag a few mountain peaks also

Several Amazing Hikes

I did a loop hike in this park and stayed at several of the backcountry sites with friends a few years ago. There are so many amazing peaks an the views are incredible it is well worth the challenge of the hike. The important thing is to make sure to plan in advance since the terrain is challenging and some of the trails can be confusing. It is worth your time to purchase a good map and plan out water fill ups as well as campsites long in advance. Also check out if you need permits and such since that is important. This area can get very cold in the winter, when we did it, so be prepared for surprise snow if you do in certain times of year.

Beautiful Scenic views

Go just for the views. It was a wonderful place to stay, just for the views alone. Well worth the trip.

Great spot!

The falls are really special. This lower elevation spot is a great less crowded spot to escape to. A real gem. Maintained by the AMC and staffed in the summer season.

Mountain Luxury

Expensive but incredible. Great food and cozy bunks. Bunks are in shared bunk rooms. Best to have a reservation, especially in July. Croo is wonderful. Overall great stay, huts make it easy to light the trip load. But no pets allowed in hut.

Nice location for exploring Twin Mountain/Crawford Notch

Rates are comparable to other private campgrounds in the area, and lower on the more primitive sites. They offer a variety of sites, everything from primitive with an off-site water spigot to 50A/water/sewer. The larger RV sites are open and grassy, centrally located. The sites along the river can be narrow and the site descriptions are confusing (they'll say TENT ONLY, but then list tent, trailer, RV, class B motorhome; in other words, they'll handle regular size tents and smaller trailers and vans, but are not suitable for RVs with slideouts - and not guaranteed that your mega-tent will fit either). Each campsite description includes dimensions of the site so you can determine if your equipment will fit. If you want extra space, you want one of the premium river sites, but you'll pay for it. These sites are elevated above the river, so not convenient for getting to the river directly from your site, but the campground isn't very large and it's an easy stroll down to the river access near site R1. None of the sites are far from the restroom. If you don't care about being near the river and have a tent, check out some of the sites along the back road. Unlike several of the campgrounds in the area, you can reserve at least some of the sites online, though some will require a phone call. It has a mix of seasonal and short-term campers. Check-in at 1, check-out at 11.

If you're the type who likes to hang around the campground during the day or relax poolside after a day of hiking, this campground offers an inground pool, play area for the kids, the river to wade in, and a rec hall with pool and ping pong. Wifi coverage is VERY good; cell phone not great, but available.

This is a nice location for exploring the White Mountains, particularly if you want to hike some of the 4000-footers in the area (Garfield, Galehead, Twins, Zealand) or smaller peaks with a view such as the Sugarloafs, take a trip up Mt Washington via the Cog Railway or Ammonoosuc or Jewell trails, or explore Crawford or Franconia Notch.

This campground is finding its new identity and the website has been updated to reflect the new name (Along the River Campground, formerly Tarry Ho Campground). Email confirmation mentioned Tarry Ho in the subject, the sign out front still says Tarry Ho Campground, my calendar interpreted it as Allegory Inn). I had difficulty connecting with them…I reached out with questions and then just went with it after getting no answer via phone/voicemail full/email (granted, I was trying during the July 4th week, but you would think someone would eventually answer the phone).

I enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again when hiking in this area. I gave it 4 stars because of the inconsistency in site quality and size. They also have small cabins available for rent.

Vermont State Park Campground

We stayed two nights in early September 2018. Easily found with google maps. Was greeted by a friendly staff member and shown how to get to our site. Arrived in the pitch black but was easy to find out site. Tent site #10.

It was very quiet, everyone seems to be enjoying their own spot. You can see your neighbors but there is some room in between sites. Clean bathrooms and relatively clean showers. Out site hand a picnic table and fire ring with grate.

We were a very short walk to the beach, where you could swim. Perfect spot to practice some night photography with minimal light pollution.

Also had a fire going all night by the building attached to the bathrooms. They offered wood, ice and small things to buy if needed.

Definitely recommend staying here. Pricing would be the only slight negative, it is about average from what we have looked at. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Woodlands/lakeside

Many campsites, some close together, some more remote, all very pleasant and well kept. Ice and fire wood for sale on site.

Clean and Quiet

Gold Brook is clean and quiet small campground just outside of the village of Stowe. The campground features a nice pool and spacious level camp sites. This campground is the perfect location to setup base camp to see all that Stowe has to offer!