Hines, OREGON

Most Recent Hines Camping Reviews
I grew up caming here.

Since i was real young my family would always go here and we have a camp spot that we called the hilton. I will always go there for the rest of my life. I 100% recommend.

Fall relaxing weekend

Clean, well maintained, cooking supplies provided, heated house with fridge. Outhouse was clean. Recommended bring you own light, the lanterns did not provide a lot of light and your own blanket for the beds.

Camping/Glamping at a hot springs near Burns, OR

What a great campground with the added bonus of a hot springs!  This developed campground offers dry camping, RV rentals, TeePees with private tubs and patios, bunk cabins, and an Inn.  Staying the night allows you to access the hot springs at anytime which is nice during cooler nights where you can soak and stare at the stars.  There is also a full camp kitchen which includes all the required cooking utensils, stove, and table.  There is also a lounge area with couches, a TV, a few tables, as well as board games, and plenty of "To-DO" suggestions for the near by area.  The bathroom/changing room/showers were clean and well attended.  If you are in the area I highly recommended stopping and having a soak at this great campground.

Loved the isolation in the middle of the forest.

Wife and I stayed here in June 2019, and loved it. The building is quaint with gaslights, and gas fireplace. The fold out bed is old and worn out. I recommend putting an air mattress or at least sleeping pads on it.

There's a big refrigerator and gas stove in the kitchen, along with some pots and pans for cooking. But NO running water for drinking or cooking. so bring plenty of water.

There's a nice vault toilet outside the guard station. The outhouse is much newer than the guard station and kinda looks like a public toilet in the woods. But it's within the fenced boundary of the guard station.

Right in the middle of the Malheur Forest, this would be a great place to stay for deer/elk hunting season.

Fishing is good if you go over to the John Day river.

We saw Pronghorn in the Silvies Valley heading to the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. I had to see the place that the standoff with the Feds took place.

Beautiful lake and campground!

My husband and I camped here for our one year anniversary! We had such an incredible time with our two dogs! We caught several trout every day and loved how quiet and peaceful the campsite was at night! We can’t wait to go back someday with our family!!!

Great find!

We were in need of a place to camp as were were driving through OR.  Found this location and decided to give it a try.  We kept tabs on the website and determined we would forgo a reservation for a mid-week overnighter.  The sites with hookups filled up for the night but not the dry camping sites.  Plus there is an overflow area.  The natural hot spring pool was wonderful and large enough to accommodate quite a few people.  We met folks from near Bend that come to this place regularly.

The $30 dry camping fee included unlimited use of the hot spring pool, showers and restroom (There were no electrical outlets in the restroom for those wanting to use a hair dryer).  Others have described the other amenities so I won't.

Amazing location for BLM camping

We stayed one night here, and it was amazingly peaceful and quiet. We expected dispersed camping, but were pleasantly surprised by the campsites. No hookups, but a picnic table and grill/firepit were at every campsite. Pit toilet buildings were located in several areas. Sites were semicircular with gravel. Easier to disconnect/hookup tow vehicles in the paved parking area by the boat launch/ramp.

Okay, but price reflects season, not amenities

We visited during Oregon’s “high” season, so by the time we booked, only back in spots were available for our big rig. Okay stay, just not impressed with amenities for price and that park has sappy trees over spaces.

Pros:

• Nice place to be for a week. Slower change of pace.
  • Proximity to the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
  • Nice staff.
  • Had a little lending library, so donated some books and took a couple of new ones for the road.

Cons:

• Our back in spot was under trees that drip sap. We have sap on our rig and our tow. The rules allowed you to wash your windshield, but you could only use water in a bucket - no spraying with a hose. First time we have ever had to wash our windshield before leaving a park.

• Sites, despite an apparently fresh dump/spread of gravel, were not as level as site managers seemed to think. Back of the back in space sloped just enough to cause issues.

Not worth the drive

This camp is 6 miles off the highway along a path that is better described as a loose pile of stones than a dirtroad. The camp itself is not really set up for tents and needs some maintenance. It was buggy, but that might have been the time of year. Much more crowded than expected, entirely rvs and truck campers. The views were disappointing given that there are much more spectacular views only a few miles away. It was near the river though.