Statesville , NORTH CAROLINA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Statesville Camping Reviews
Small and quiet

Family Campground

One nice thing is the size and separation of the sites. One bad thing is the road is busy.

This campground is one way and exits into a trailhead parking area. There was one site that was in the parking area, would not be my first choice. Shaded sites with picnic tables and fire rings. Nice shower house , well maintained.

Easy access to several trails and not far from the falls. The river runs the back of the campground.

Beautiful and Versatile

Love this campground! Well maintained and clean bath houses. Choose a site hidden in the trees with lots of shade and privacy or in the sun with a view of the reservoir. Hiking trails and water activities. Warning: prone to flooding and cancellations.

Million dollar view!

This campground is full of gorgeous trees and a gorgeous view of Pilot Mountain. We arrived after dark and found it way too hard to navigate through the trees. We called the owner and he took us to a pull through site, which we greatly appreciated after traveling all day. Definitely book those spots if you have a big RV. In the morning we were greeted by the owners dog who was such a welcomed addition, our kids loved her. The dirt road to get to the sites and close trees were hard for us to navigate with such a big rig but that was partly because it was dark.

Forest Dispersed Camping With Toilets and Phone Reception Nearby

Stayed here for 5 days in November 2020.

The road is gravel and dirt. No major potholes and easily navigable. Two cars/trucks and most likely two small to mid-sized RVs can squeeze by at the same time. If you take the road all the way to the end, about 2 to 2.5 miles, there is a huge asphalt parking lot(see pics). One caveat: there is a relatively narrow turn near the top of the lot, past the camping sites, that would be difficult for larger RVs. Then again many trucks hauling dirt bikes on trailers made it up to the parking lot. If they can, I imagine many lengthy vehicles probably could get through also.

This parking lot is mainly used by Off Highway Vehicles(OHV). That is, dirt bikes and four wheelers. The OHV trail starts at the parking lot, which is why on weekends it gets extremely busy. I'd say I saw upwards of 25 trucks and vans in November. Most leave before sundown. Some may occasionally camp. The OHV lot is far enough from the sites, about 0.5 miles, that you won't hear the bikers coming and going from the OHV trail. You will hear them when they pass your site on their way in and out. By the way, I believe you cannot camp at the parking lot though I did not try.

There are a handful of sites, all of which are of different sizes and shapes. All can accommodate tents with ease. Tables and fire rings are available in most though I didn't check them all. Some sites will fit trailers and trucks, especially if you squeeze them in. See pics of how a few campers did exactly that. Small RVs will fit in most sites, possibly by backing them in. The road is wide enough where backing in is possible, especially with assistance. I saw a large fifth wheel in one of the sites and a truck and trailer in another of the smaller sites(see pics).

There are two toilets about 100 feet apart. They are clean and toilet paper is supplied(see pics).

Phone reception and internet access are unavailable at the sites, or at least the one I was at. It's possible that with a booster you may get service. You will get service to make phone calls at the OHV trail parking lot. Internet is spotty.

Being a forest, trees abound. Depending on the site you are at, you may or may not get sunshine. The trees provide plenty of shade. This can be good and bad. My solar panels had to be moved every 15 to 20 minutes if I wanted them to provide full charge. A bit of a hassle but doable. I was able to charge my power station sufficiently.

As for groceries, there is a store diagonally across from the entrance of the forest. Unfortunately, it was only open during the weekend when I happened to be there. The Collettsville General Store is about 6 miles from the dispersed camping sites and a far better bet. If you're exiting the forest, turn left and keep going until you hit a T point. Turn right and it's immediately to your right. They are a fully stocked convenience store where you can also get pizza and sandwiches. The general store also serves as a gas station. And they're open 7 am to 9 pm to boot!

About 0.25 to 0.5 miles from the Collettsville General Store is the Hard and Flossie Clark Family Park, a public park, where phone reception is available. There are covered picnic tables so you can sit and surf(see pics). If you scout around you'll find a power outlet that is turned on. Enough to get routine tasks done while charging your laptop.

Collettsville also has a post office, which opens during the afternoon every day. I think from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm. Or it may be 12:30 to 4:30.

Beautiful Campground

Beautiful location, 20 mins from Pilot Mountain, 5 minutes from Mt Airy. The staff was very friendly and truly cared to make sure your stay was going to be a good one. This was my first time ever camping in a fifth wheel, and I felt very comfortable throughout my stay. My RV neighbors were great and very courteous. I’m planning on another trip to this campground on the near future.

Hidden Gem

Nice spot within the Nature preserve. Sites are close but not on top of each other. Paved but not necessarily level. The cleanest and most well designed bathrooms I’ve ever seen in a campground. Lots of great hiking trails throughout the preserve. Level boxed in pads for tenters in a separate area from RVs as well as sites that can be packed out to. On a visit during COVID it was open but limited. Set on the beautiful Lake Wylie, surrounded by marinas and large beautiful lakeside homes. Well designed for fishing, boating, gatherings and picnics. It feels so remote but is literally minutes from the full metropolis of Charlotte, NC. A must see for at least a day hike if you are in the area or camping if you have the chance.

Excellent location

The location next to the reservoir is awesome. Rode the bike trails and loved it. Did some kayaking too. The actual campsites can be a bit tricky to park but overall great time

In the shadow of the Great Guide.

Overall this is on the keeper list. I found this campsite on line looking for places to stay while hiking sections of the MST. Took a shot and was very pleased with the result.

The first thing to note is that there are new, larger, spaces in the works closer to the entrance with (what looks to me like) sewer hookups. It is good to know that the owners are making improvements and it might be different when you get here.

I stayed in the wooded lots and these are definitely for tents or small trailers. The spots are nice, if not perfectly level and a little close together. Of course that is really only a problem if you have noisy neighbors, which I didn't. The campground looked full over the weekend but wasn't overly noisy. I attribute that also to the beautiful large open fields where all the all the children ran free.

The bath house was very similar to the standard state park setup. It is a cinder block building with a few shower stalls, toilet stalls and sinks with mirrors. Not fancy but definitely clean and functional.

I would definitely come back again and I recommend this camp ground.

Absolutely beautiful

We came here as our second ever camping trip and it wasn’t exactly what we were expecting but it was definitely an adventure. It was beautiful and quiet and relaxing. The only thing we were not happy about is the insane amount of bugs in the bathroom. But, ya know North Carolina summers.

A really nice place

We stayed at the Stone Mountain campground 5 nights/6 days, and enjoyed every minute of it. There aren’t many trees between the RV/full hook up sites, but they’re far enough apart that you don’t feel like you’re on top of your neighbor. There is a gorgeous little creek that runs through the middle of the full hook up sites, which made it even more peaceful sitting around the fire at night, and our daughter loved exploring it during the day. The bathhouse was a ways away from our site (53), so we typically rode a bike or drove the truck. This could be problematic for someone with limited mobility, or small children that can’t hold it very long. But it wasn’t really an issue for us. The bathhouse was usually spotless, well stocked with toilet paper, well heated, and not very busy at all. The showers will get pretty warm, which surprised me, and the pressure is pretty good as well. However, you have to push the button down every 10-15 seconds, and the stall is pretty small. They are sufficient for washing off the sweat and dirt from spending a day hiking though. We did a lot of hiking, which is the reason we went. There are a wide assortment of trails, from easy and moderate, all the way to strenuous and advanced. All of them are equally gorgeous, but I highly recommend the loop trail, which takes you by the Stone Mountain falls, then around the base and over the summit of Stone Mountain, and by the Hutchinson homestead. You can also branch off that trail and go to the middle and lower falls, which were also absolutely gorgeous. The summit climb by the Hutchinson homestead is pretty strenuous, but very much worth the views. I’d really recommend taking a blanket and snacks, and resting on the top for a little breather and to take in all that surrounds you. The creek throughout the park is delayed harvest trout waters, which is great for people that enjoy fishing. The creeks are incredibly clear, and so serene. The park doesn’t allow campers to bring in, or harvest their own fire wood, but they do sell bundles at the check in station for $5. The staff was helpful and nice, and the park is very quiet, clean, and family friendly. Keep your eyes open, we saw wild turkey and deer in abundance.