Burgaw, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Burgaw Camping Reviews
Clean and Friendly

My first campsite with my new-to-me T@B trailer. We camped right up against tall grassy dunes so we were protected from the wind. Could hear the ocean at night. Super clean bathhouse. The staff would drive around 3 times per day to collect your trash. Once they picked up my awning poles and put on the trailer to throw away—they’re not kidding when the say everything and anything will be picked up! Had to chase them down but retrieved so all was good. WiFi was not great but who cares when you’re practically parked on the beach. Will def go back here. Too late in season so I didn’t use but they also have salt water pool!

Beautiful beach camping!

Love this park. Bear Island is only accessible by boat. So you have to pay a small fee for the ferry ride that takes you to Bear Island. Or you can canoe or kayak. You have to hike with all your camping gear less than a mile to the beach. There is not much shade on the hike there but it wasn't bad on a hot summer day.

The beach camping spots are right in front of the dunes. We went on Labor Day weekend and there was no one there! So peaceful and serene. Lots of shells to find! And what a beautiful beach. There are nice bathrooms, water, and a snack bar that is open during the summer (cash only). Lots of picnic tables here as well.

Planning on coming back here next summer and staying longer! Such a unique camping experience!

Beware of raccoons

Carolina Beach State park has an awesome location if you’re looking for an inexpensive place to stay at the beach. It’s a short drive to Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Fort Fisher. There is no swimming area at this park. There is a marina and some great hiking though! We took a day trip to Bald Head Island as well! The campsites are large and well secluded from each other. The restroom and showers are centrally located, and clean enough. One thing I will mention is the pack of gigantic raccoons that kept us up all night while we were there. We accidentally left some food out one night and they were bothering us all weekend, even during the day! Some of the biggest raccoons I’ve ever seen. Don’t be like us and leave food out, lol!

Loved it!

I visit White lake every year for vacation but this year we decided to add in a camping trip. We decided to check out Camp Clearwater. I did read bad reviews here & there but I wanted to give them a shot. And I’m glad I did! I had such an amazing experience here! Everyone was so nice and down to earth! I will definitely be back!😊

Great Beach campground

My favorite military campground, ID necessary, and a great spot for family time. The intercoastal waterway is right there, as well as the beach and a military shopette. We have found many shark teeth on the beach and made great memories wake boarding and relaxing.

Great get away

This is a great place for any military or retired military member to go. The beach is amazing and the sights are nice too.

Do not go here!

When driving in it was beautiful. Looks can be deceiving. The only place to fill with water was the dump station and we were filling for 20 minutes and ran out after about an hour. The restrooms and showers were so discusting that we cancelled half of our reservation. We were to be there 3 days, go to Myrtle beach and go back for 4 more, but I could not bring myself to go back. I only time saw the campground host once in three days (at 6am smoking at his site), he was no where to be found otherwise. I called COE and told them they should not put this campground (it was not COE it was National Croatan Forest) on their site.

One of my favorites

This is absolutely one of my favorite places to stay! It is right on the beach, a little store is right there for your convenience and there is plenty of space for walking, riding bikes, etc. The area itself is beautiful, the buildings are exceptional. The only downfall is it takes about 20-25 minutes to drive back to civilization. 😂 This is bad only if you don’t bring enough food/drinks to the beach with you. Otherwise, it’s a great escape from the rest of the world!

Heatwave

Cedar Point RA is a small campground along the White Oak River in the Croatan National Forest. The campground has 40 sites with electric hook up. The sites are level and have a paved parking pad that they are pretty strict on you keeping all wheels on and a gravel area with a picnic table, fire pit, and two lantern poles (that also work good for putting up a clothes line or dog zipline). The sites do not have water hook ups so make sure your RV fresh water tanks are topped off, or there are plenty of potable water points throughout the campground to fill up you jugs. The sites are large and separated by space, not trees, for privacy. The sites on the southeast side seemed to have more shade than those on the northwest side. Campground map is in my pictures.

There is no office or signage for check-in, so we just drove in, found our reserved spot that had our name on the tag and set up. The Camp Host came around a little later and apparently we were supposed to know to check-in with him somehow. We stayed on site 24 on this visit. Lots of sun throughout the day until late evening, so a little miserable on this stay as the area had heat advisories every day.

The bathhouse could use a little TLC. The bathrooms were functional but not very clean. The showers are separate from the bathroom and half were out of order on this stay. Additionally, in typical National Forest fashion, there is no heat or air or even a fan in the bathroom or showers, so again, pretty miserable on this stay as the area had heat advisories every day. The heat in the bathrooms and showers had to be over 100 degrees. Also, typical National Forest setup, the showers are push button, with no temperature control (you get what you get) and the water only flows for about 15 seconds with each push of the button.

Firewood was available at the camp host. There is a full grocery store 5 minutes from the campground. The resort has many amenities like a boat ramp about a ¼ of a mile down the road and a hiking trail that loops for about 2 miles along the marshy shore line. There is a dump station and trash dumpster behind the camp hosts location.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did not have wi-fi.

While in the area we enjoyed the public beach on Emerald Isle, which is only 15 minutes from campground. There are lots of water sport rentals nearby and restaurants. Camp Lejeune is less than 30 minutes away and on some nights we could hear the artillery in the distance as the Marines trained. However, as a retired Army guy, the faint sound of freedom did not bother me at all.

The heatwave during our stay really hindered us. Not sure we’d revisit in the middle of the summer again, but during the cooler month I’m sure it would be much more comfortable.

At The Beach

We loved it. You must have a DOD ID for access. Right on the beach and a C store right there. Nice showers and bathrooms. No service for AT&T or WiFi. Nice and quiet.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork XL at Carolina Beach State Park

Campground Review:

Carolina Beach State Park is located just over the bridge in Carolina Beach NC.  It is close to many restaurants and grocery stores, but offers a bit of seclusion with the large trees and overgrown shrubbery between sites.

We enjoy the short hikes at Carolina Beach State Park, and the visitor center!  The visitor center has fantastic exhibits of venus fly traps with hands-on activities for the kids, explaining about the different kinds of carnivorous plants that live in the park.  We found both pitcher plants and venus fly traps on one of our hikes!

This campground has 2 large loops - with affordable cabins scattered throughout.  It is a fairly large campground - almost 100 sites, with bathhouses, showers, spigots and trash through the park.  Camping costs around $26 a night for a tent site, or you could reserve one of their cabins (double bed and desk in the front room and bunks, or 2 bunk beds) for $58 - what a steal!!

One of our favorite sites is number 45 - it backs right up to the river - and is slightly elevated, allowing beautiful views (while it isn't raining!).  This campground also has a marina - where boats can be rented as well as put in.  There are hiking trails, both short and long - the shortest being the venus fly trap trail - where you can see both venus fly traps and pitcher plants.  We hiked Sugarloaf - down to the private beach -  and hung out for several hours.  It was wonderful!

Product review:

As a ranger for The Dyrt, I get to review items.  I reviewed the morsel spork XL while at Carolina Beach with my family. https://morselspork.com/products/morsel-spork

I have had several sporks while hiking the Appalachian Trail, yet this spork exceeds expectations.

First of all, the spork itself is sturdy, but pliable.  Secondly, the spatula feature on the side makes it easy to scrape every last bit of food out of your container or food pouch - and on a long hike - we don't want to leave one bite behind!  I have used this spork both with standard tupperware containers and also in dehydrated food pouches - and the XL is perfect! Lastly,  I dislike getting food on my hand when reaching in a pouch and the length of the spork is perfect! I can get a bite (with either the fork end, or the spoon end) and remove the utensil without getting slimy/sticky food on my hands.  I would highly recommend this spork for hiking/camping and my family is planning to use these in our lunches for the upcoming school year!

Weird experience

Area right on the beach first time camping literally 50 feet from the ocean it was an awesome experience but also weird, we got in for free but we drove in 4x4 didn’t want to leave the car so we parked on the outside, the next day we decided to leave and they charged me 30 dollars to get my stuff out i called 2 days prior they said it wasn’t a charge to camp but 30$ for all day beach driving i would stay again for the absolutely beautiful scenery but dealing with the staff will make me ponder

Enjoyed

Its a 5 because the only thing I don’t like is out of the staffs control and that is location to the beach, its not far, too far to walk 5 minutes drive to the coast line, staff is friendly facility is really clean nice camping spots for tents and drive in campers. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and will stay here again.

Wow best Nc beach camping.

You must plan for this trip. You can ferry to sites or paddle there. Currently paddle is the only way as the ferry is down due to last years storms. Great sites on the island . Fantastic views quite the experience.

Secluded (kind of) beach camping

Are you on the sand beside the ocean? No, but this is a great campground with in the state park that has secluded campsites in the woods. This is a rare find this close to the beach/ocean. There are sites that you can not even notice you have neighbors. It is located in the town of Carolina Beach and is along the intercostal waterways. It has some nice trails for light hiking and is just down the road from the ocean. Being in town it is close to grocery stores, places to eat, and shopping. That being said once in the park you feel like you are far from the crowds of town. I like to use this campground/park as a landing spot. Hiking in the park but also adventuring out to the different beach things around.

A must if you want to camp on the beach!4x4 only

Been a family spot since 95’

Amazing and Fun Campground

This campground is well worth the visit!  Nicely wooded campsites that are very large and private!  The park has numerous hiking trails, a marina and a beach nearby!  Carolina Beach area has many things to offer; they have a boardwalk that in the summertime has bands playing free of charge, amazing restaurants, fun carnival type activities for the kids, and fireworks every Friday!  Weather you want to relax in seclusion in the forest atmosphere of the park or go to the beach and party the night away, Carolina Beach has it all!  From the state park the beach is only a 5 min drive, less than 7 miles!  You could almost walk there if you didn't have all that beach gear!  But you could certainly ride your bike!

Meh

The sites are decent, but very little shade. There are no individual water hookups at each site. They are just scattered thruout the campground. The website does not specify this. Also, there is nowhere to wash dishes as they do not allow gray water at the water pumps, and there is no gray water dumpstation if you did happen to fill your holding tanks. There are only four shower stalls for the whole campground, and 2 were out of order during our stay…and could use a cleaning.

Nice campground they had arts and crafts and the kids enjoyed train ride

Great location

Great location. Easy to get to the beach or check out the river or trails. Power only hook ups with a water and sanitation station for the whole Campground. The “host” sucks and will drive by 10 times a day making sure no one is breaking any rules. Well trained dog off the leash for a few minutes well away from everyone so he can retrieve a ball….nope. Not allowed. Drive 10mph in a 5. Get threatened to be kicked out? Meanwhile the bathrooms /showers haven’t been cleaned this year.

Military campground near the beach

This campground was okay. The main draw is the beach, which is just across the road from the facility (about a five minute walk from the campground). The sites are back-in only and arranged on either side of a road that ends in a cul-de-sac that is too small to turn around in. The sites themselves are extremely long, but for some reason the hook-ups are all near the front of the site, so you can't take advantage of the length. They were in the process of repaving the sites during the stay, so there were some that were pristine and others with bits of rebar sticking out of them. They are pretty close together as well, with no shade. The check-in office is further down towards the river with no real place to turn-around, so I recommend calling ahead to know your site, unhook, then drive to check-in. There isn't a playground, but there is an aquarium down at Fort Fisher State Rec Area. Kure Beach and Carolina Beach had a few nice resturants. Oh, stop by for donuts at Britts (expect the line to be 30 minutes long, but if you go to the counter you may find a seat to eat-in). But yes, they are really good. The campground is about a 30 minute drive to Wilmington. I would visit here again because the price is decent, but I wouldn't go out of the way.

Simple Lakeside Life

While it's not the most exciting camping, Jone's Lake offers the simple necessities along with quick access to the lake. Hiking in the area is pretty flat though so don't go in expecting much of a challenge.

Quiet and Pristine

I've been to the campgrounds at Carolina Beach State Park a lot over the years and nothing has really changed since the first time. Rich native wildlife and plants in a shaded setting.The sites themselves are easily accessible and closely located to restrooms. Rarely have there been rambunctious clientele and you're centrally located to a number of recreational opportunities. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

Beautiful Family Spot

Wonderful place! We took the kayaks and camped for the 3 day weekend. It cost a bit more than expected and the beach area closed at 1800, which we had five kids, so that was a bummer. That is my only complaint. I wish we knew if the area without electricity cost as much. We never used the electric anyway.

Near beach

You need a DOD ID card to stay here. It is affordable if you qualify to stay. They will check and make you leave if you are not a card holder. It was a good location near the beach and on the cape fear. It was just a large open area where you can set up camp so unfortunately you don’t get the privacy that most want when camping. You can rent bikes and boats to use. Awesome aquarium down the street + cute little downtown area with food. Kids enjoyed it non the less but I prefer more secluded camping.

Very popular

This place is amazing, which is why it is popular and peopley.

Beautiful, peaceful, outdated

Carolina Beach is a beautiful and peaceful campground, with spacious and private campsites. Sites are easy to locate, easy to access. Plenty of shade and nice fire pits.

Bathrooms haven't been updated in decades. Showers don't offer much privacy, but do offer decent pressure and hot water.

Grocery store is half a mile away.

Loved the small town of Carolina Beach.

Highly recommend, and will return in the future.

Clean + easy access

We stayed here while visiting friends in Swansboro. We had to pay full hook up prices even though we were just tent camping but that wasn’t a huge deal. The area was kept really clean (bathrooms could use a little TLC) loved the views on the hiking trail which was close to the camping sites. Dog friendly! Our kids loved it. Beaches in driving distance.

Great campground but avoid the yurt!

I have camped with a large group of friends at site #2 a couple of times, but this weekend, I wanted to camp with just my two boys, and site #5 (the yurt site) was available.  This site was new since I had camped here last.  It said it slept 6 and the website showed a pic of two beds; I *assumed* there would be four more, since it slept 6.

Long story short, just 2 beds.  But the worst part was weeds growing up through the floorboards, ripped screens, doors that wouldn't zip completely, and two (purposeful) holes at the top that surely let in mosquitoes!  The boy who slept at ground level is completely bitten up, despite me spraying everyone with bug spray and using my tennis racket-style bug zapper to clear out the yurt before bed.

Our trash can was completely full (I mean, at least there's a trash can, but we could hardly use it). Our fire ring was full of ashes and the grate was jammed down.  The previous campers had left us a few jugs of water but also small pieces of trash scattered about.  What I'm trying to say was that this site was not maintained between the last visitors and us.

The campground, though, is awesome if you like roughing it.  You are allowed, thankfully, to drive to your site, but it's a hike to walk to the running water toilets, and I saw lots of people drive to them.  There is a closer pit toilet but I didn't check that out.

The lake is beautiful, shallow, warm, good fishing, fun for everyone!  Bullfrogs, peepers, and owls called all night.  Dragonflies galore flew about.  It's rustic, but relaxing.  And the visitor's center has a nice exhibit on the Carolina Bays.

Across the street from the beach!

No shade in this campground, but the location is everything! Basically a manicured field with cement pads and hookup poles. Bathhouse is nice and tidy but can be a small hike dependent upon where your site is. Mine was furthest away so we just drove up due to feeling lazy. Beach is close by- short walk and across the street. Lots to see and do in the area within minutes. Ferry ride nearby. (This is not myrtle beach- it’s a typical small NC family type beach). Loved my stay here! Was my first time camping in our popup and it could not have been better. Even saw a deer across from the campground in a field! Note: After reading other reviews, there has to be two areas to camp owned by the military in this location because ours was as described above. (Hubby is retired military. )