the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
Poplar Point State Rec Area - Jordan Lake is located in North Carolina
9 Reviews of Poplar Point State Rec Area - Jordan Lake
Camping at Jordan Lake

Great place to camp!! Very empty during the weekdays (which is great) but the bathrooms are closed Mon-Fri

Scenic family campground overlooking Jordan Lake. Fishing and boating...lei

Reservations are a must to get the best spots. Apply sunscreen and bring some water toys:)

Our First NC Camping Experience

Jordan Lake was the perfect place to start our camping adventures! Our spot was mostly shaded which was perfect for our dog, and we were able to walk into the lake from our spot! The site had everything we needed (picnic table, fire ring, trash hang etc.) The bathrooms did run out of toilet paper, so I’d bring your own just in case. We’ll be back though!

Large some what secluded sites.

We love going there with our dogs. Plenty of room for them at the site. Some what private sites. We always try to get near the water for easy excess. Camp there usually 2-3 times a year.

Jordan Lake fun

We stayed at Jordan Lake Campground. It had nice hiking trails. Ty he lake is pretty big. Exploring on our kayaks was alot of fun. Our tent site was by the wayet and included water and electric. We will return.

A Quick Escape From City Life

Like the title says, Jordan Lake State Rec Area is a great spot to get away from the busyness of life without having to go very far. It is easy to get to from many of NC's biggest cities and college towns, including Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, and Burlington. If you find it on a map, you may make the mistake that I made and assume that it's just a city park that is noisy and not very pretty. I sure was wrong, though!

After multiple camping trips here, I can happily tell you this is a great camping spot for you and your family and friends to get away for a little weekend adventure. With over 1000 campsites spread out across multiple areas of the park and different spots on the lake, you never have to worry about not having a spot. Even during an event like the Cotopaxi Questival that I did last summer, we had our own lake-side camping spot with hardly any noise from the other groups around us thanks to the distance between campsites. If you think you'll run out of things to do camping by a lake surrounded by big cities, think again. You can be out on the water in motorized boats and jet skis, you can go kayaking, fishing, hiking, and swimming in the designated swimming spots by most campsites.

I will say that it can be very humid and buggy during the summer, but that's how it is anywhere in NC. Just be prepared with some good bug spray and a rain jacket for any sudden rain storms that could happen and you'll be all set!

I have loved my experiences camping at this state park and would highly recommend it to anybody that can't get away to the mountains for a weekend trip. And make sure to get a state park passport and get a stamp while you're there! It's an awesome way to get inspired to explore all of the beautiful state parks there are in NC.

Not many sites but they are really pretty

I recommend site 15 for the sake of being a little off of the beaten path but all the sites are nice.

Great family camping

We had an awesome time on our weekend visit. We were able to get a spot right on the lake with electrical hookup and walking distance to showers and restrooms. It was just rustic enough for us to enjoy, but close enough to amenities for our three children to enjoy. We will definitely be back.