Malden-on-Hudson , NEW YORK

Most Recent Malden-on-Hudson Camping Reviews
Fantastic, spacious campground

This is an amazing campground! We had plenty of space and easy access to the lake. We went on a busy weekend and they are currently only operating at 50% capacity. I would recommend reserving a spot well in advance. This is a very large campground with multiple different areas. It has a good water pump and the bathrooms were well maintained and had a nice sink washing area.

Amazing weekend getaway

Even the rain couldn't ruin this weekend getaway. The spring water source is a short hike back from the campsite, relatively convenient to restock from camp. Thought I heard bears come through overnight, but may have been a lucid dream. Bear can was undisturbed in the morning. First trip to the catskills but will definitely be back!

Best camp site I ever seen.

Yes you can camp on top of the mountain. Yes you can make a cap fire. Yes you can star gaze by the views near the camp. Yes it’s amazing. It take the average hiker about an hour ish to get to camp/ledge view. This one is one of my favs.

Pretty rad even when full

So close to the city you just can’t beat it. We found a cancellation for one of the group camping spots—63—(at half capacity due to Covid precautions), which was pretty delightful, if not that private. Sites 43 and 45 seem to be some of the best locations and most private while still near the bath house. Plenty of firewood to forage if they run out at the (charming, storybook) reservation cabin. Walk across the road down to the “beach” and take a dip. We’ll be back on a less crowded weekend.

Nice, Free, Primitive Campground

There are three campgrounds (upper, middle, and lower field) and a trailer field for a total of 24 campsites. Calling them “fields” might be misleading - they’re heavily wooded areas by a river. I slept in the middle field. On a Wednesday night in early September I had the whole campground to myself. Quiet, next to a lightly trafficked road. There was a port a potty. Campsites in middle field are just clearings with fire pits and nothing else. Soft ground for staking a tent. Very few bugs. Good water access with the river. At the middle field, you have to walk 200+ feet from the parking lot to your campsite, so just be prepared to carry your stuff. I got there long after dark: had to stumble around a little in the dark to figure out where the campsites were, but it wasn’t too bad. Highly recommended.

Nice place... nice people.

There must be new management because many upgrades have been made over the past year which include all new SWE (full hookups) street lighting, and campground markings/numbering. I've been coming here for years now and the people in the office are always pleasant and fellow campers are nice and respectful as well. Great place situated in a great area with lots to do all within an hour's drive. Even camping during a pandemic was peaceful & fun!

Dispersed primitive camping

Great camping spots about 1.5 mile hike in from Denning Trailhead. A lot of spots right by the river. Great spot to camp and then wake up to hike to tabletop/ peekamoose mountain. (near the top of tabletop there is also a lean-to for camping).

Easily accessible primitive campground

This was a good campground for a base point for hiking around the peekamoose area. I stayed in the middle field campground site #6 (which is the worst spot on that field). BUT  the other sites are nice right by the river, and there is plenty of privacy between spots. It is not remote though (road is right next to you so you hear cars/ can see 1 house with lights, although I had no service). There was 1 portapotty. Overall it was nice because it was an easy walk-in site. First come first serve.

Awesome Camping!!

This was my first time at Mongaup Pond and we loved it. The place was all booked and we got lucky with a cancellation at a premium site on the lake. It is such a beautiful place and so nicely done. The sites are not on top of each other and mostly separated with some kind of brush or bushes. Lots of places to hike and play. It’s was Late September so it was a little to cold to use the lake, but it didn’t matter, we had a great time. Can’t wait to go bback on the Spring.

Better than I expected

I had to make a last-minute reservation for a campsite on my drive back from Maine to DC on a Friday night in September, so was a bit worried about finding anywhere decent at all.  This campground was one of the few with any sites available, and I got the second last spot.  So I had pretty low expectations.

Actually this campground is pretty nice--the campsites are of a normal size, with enough rocks and trees between sites to provide a decent amount of privacy.  Again, my campsite was one of the worst, right on the road, but still not too bad.  It would have been pretty decent if every campsite around me hadn't been full, generally with families with a bunch of shrieking kids.  But that's a weekend in September…

There are also a limited number of campsites right on the water.  The lake is nice enough, although much of it is covered in lily pads.

Bathrooms are fine.

No wood for sale on-site, but there are several places nearby to get wood, and any other supplies you need.  The campsite is not exactly remote, I think it was about a 5 minute drive to a gas station with firewood and all manner of supplies.

I would definitely stay here during the week when it might be a bit quieter.