Navajo Dam , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Navajo Dam Camping Reviews
Absolutely stunning

It takes my breath away! They have picnic tables and fire pit with grill for each site.

Nice camping off the highway

Nice places to stay for a night. Several places to park but the road seems to get rougher as you go. Each spot can easily fit multiple campers or vehicles. Flags in rock pits stating no fires at this time but other campers were having them. Arrived around 3pm on Friday and only saw 2 other campers.

Dispersed camping only

There is no campground here but dispersed camping is allowed in some areas.

Nice and clean

Very nice BLM (Free), pretty leveled, easy acces and easy out. Most of the spots are big and can be shared with more than 2 RVs while keeping distance and privacy. I’m a solo female VanLifer and I felt secure, unlike the other BLM (BLM National Park Boundary) 10 miles back.

Definitely worth driving a little further

We arrived to the area with plenty of time to explore our options. We decided to drive further up the mountain, gaining some elevation but it was much more secluded. The dirt road wasn’t terrible, just needed to be careful because the road is skinny and sometimes rocky. We snagged a tiny spot which is all that we needed for our tent and an area to make food. There was also some walking paths behind our campsite which helped us get to know the vegetation and animals in the area.

Easy spot

Easy to get to spot with dispersed camping. Road is easily accessed with a low clearance car (Jetta in my case). Added bonus is good Verizon coverage.

Very quiet!

Nice quiet FREE place to stay the night even though there were quite a few campers. Camping is in the parking lot area and basically any pull off you can find a space. If you’re in a tent just hike off anywhere and pitch it for the night. There are no trail markers so just be aware while exploring the very cool formations. Off hwy 371, at the T in the road turn left (Google maps said to turn right just FYI) continue down to parking lot or along the road.

There are pit toilets, no water or garbage. I was able to get AT&T and Verizon cell reception.

not much but free

This spot is a little tough to find but can be worth it if you need a good free camp for the night. Located off Hwy 160, about 14 miles from Durango you will find BLM land. After crossing a cattle guard and a building you will then enter into BLM land and can camp wherever you need. There are about 10 spots already created with rock fire pits but that is about it here. It is very dispersed and there are no facilities.

We stayed out here during the off season and had no problem getting a spot but during the high season it can get pretty busy here. The views are just OK, you are treated to an over view of the plains. You may also have some visitors in the night, Cattle. We had many of them around us all night and we even heard a pack of coyotes in the distance.

Overall good spot not far from town. Free really helps.

Some of the best views of the lake

We stopped by and spoke with the camp host and took a tour of the campground. Was told that this campground is 1st come 1st available spots, no reservations taken. We had also visited the other near by campgrounds managed by the forest service and felt this campground had the nicest views of the lake was Middle Mountain campground and next time up this way would definitely try and stay here. Almost all the spots and no services but did see location to get fresh water and saw a couple of restrooms. Tall pines all abound. 14 day limit.

2nd time visit.

This is my second visit here this time with my wife. After I shared how amazing the night skies where she wanted to join me on my next trip. We will be spending a couple days here and the onwards to Bayfeild CO. It's been warm in the afternoon with no trees in our boondocking spot. We have been running the AC most afternoons till around 6-7pm. The evenings cool enough to just open all the trailers window and enjoy the evening. We've been grilling outdoors and sitting for hours at night enjoying the night skies. The dogs love it here too, plenty of trails for walks. As of now it's still is a no burn. Cell service has been good and over the air TV has plenty of channels to choose from.