The best RV SITES camping near
La Joya , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent La Joya Camping Reviews
Cozy campground

I decided to stay here last minute and arrived after dark on Jan. 21st. It was easy to find- look for the drive just to the side of the canal (I turned left onto the dirt road after coming off I-25). There are 2 dirt roads - take the upper one to the right, and within a few hundred feet there is a steepish driveway to the right down to under the trees.

Tables and fire rings provided- although as another reviewer stated, there are posted fire restrictions.

Sites are very flat. There is a semi-busy road nearby but it feels secluded under the trees. One other camper set up when I got in- I was surprised to see anyone, but it was nice to know someone else was around too.

I’d definitely stay here again, even as a solo female traveler.

Lots of cell service (ATT)

Better than expected!

I didn't stay but I did drive through to check it out for future stops. First impression was very clean! There are two basic areas, the fishing area around the pond which is good sized and shaped so that there's lots of shoreline. The other area is the camping area with hookups and tent sites. In between was the playground and bathroom area. There is a group shelter, and trees. It's a bit off the main highway but easy access. The river is nearby and there are some primitive access roads.

Simple

Nice spot in the cottonwoods room for about 10 with good space in between. Concrete tables with fire pits although there's restrictions right now. It is right off the road and a little steep to get into.

A quaint pull-through park

A well organized park by a helpful staff. The pull-through sites are easily assessable and long enough for an F250 w/30’ travel trailer and not be detached. The park is clean and quaint. *Pet friendly but doesn’t allow “outside pet cages, kennels, or pet fencing” probably because they don’t want the dogs outside alone. Overall, and it being the first time visit I would recommend American RV Resort.@

Okay Park

It’s okay. Has decent hookups and a firepit. Comes with free firewood, which was nice. Has a picnic table. No showers. No bathrooms during covid, which sucks. Campsites are pretty close together.

Not open

This campground has not been open for many years due to vandalism.

Best free campsite I have ever been to!

We just arrived at this free campground. Concrete picnic tables and fire rings provided. We are surrounded by what looks to me like oak trees, but I have yet to confirm that. It reminds me of my home state of Minnesota!

We are near the Rio Grande Bosque, and are looking forward to our ventures observing the migratory birds of the area.

Free for 2 More Years!

We loved this place. Attempted at first to camp at The Box down the road but it was really crowded so we came here and what a great choice!

This is a FREE campground but plans are in the works to started charging in 2 years at $10/night. There are gravel tent and parking pads, picnic tables, fire rings, pit toilets and garbage.

When you first pull in there is a narrow opening to a rocky dirt road straight ahead and to the left is a day use picnic area. The sign at the beginning of the dirt road said trailers not advisable but one came down before we started up so we went for it. We have a 26 foot class C. Dirt road driving experience necessary. The road is quite narrow, rocky and has a couple washouts and tight turns but not impossible to navigate….use your best judgement!

There were only a couple of other campers and the views are very nice. Some sites are close together however. There are pit toilets and garbage at the beginning of the campground and at the end loop.

Great hiking area too! Further down the road where it says "no turn around" is a group site but the gate is locked and you'll need to contact National Forest Service if you want to use this area.

There is no drinking water or cell reception from AT&T or Verizon. Pets allowed on a leash. Also there are free roaming cattle we saw on the main road in but none in the campground though there was poop evidence that they've been around.

Along the dirt road hiking trails near the campground people have made other camping areas with rock fire pits. The roads to these areas are narrow and 4WD necessary.

Good spot for chore day

Accepts Passport America discount even though they do not appear on the Passport America website. We paid $19 for 30 amp site with water and sewer hookup with the discount. Nice place for chore day in between boondock days. Free showers, clean stalls and hot water.  Laundry on site.  Attached to laundry room is a game room with free pool table, TV, 2 arcade games (arcades were non-functioning when we were there).  Staff very friendly. There is a gift shop on site.  You can refill propane on site, but the propane company is a different operator than the RV park and were closed when we were there. Sites are very close together and not very level.  There is an area to walk your dogs.  Dumpsters on site, but no recycling. There is a "take a book, leave a book" shelf near the office.  Camping World is right next door.  Near freeway and you can hear the freeway noise all night.

Rough Tent Camping...Great Rock Climbing

Drove down the night before in order to go climbing the next day.  Found a decent spot in a dry wash to put up the tent for the night.  It worked and allowed quick access to the crag in the morning.  Does start to get busy with climbers fairly early (8am or so).  Would be perfect for somebody with a camper-van or teardrop.