About Black Canyon Campground - Lower

This is a beautiful remote camping area. Trail #94 begins at the rear of the campground.

Located in a remote area of forest approximately 30 miles from the Wilderness Ranger District office. This campground is accessible from FR150, and driving approximately .5 miles from the road, across the stream. You will enter an area with a new restroom and a beautiful meadow next to the stream.

Please be advised - the district recommends high-clearance 4x4 vehicles on FR 150.

National Forest
No Water Hookups
Black Canyon Campground - Lower is located in New Mexico
Directions
The campground is located 30 miles from Wilderness Ranger District office. Take Hwy 35 to MM15 to FR150.Turn right & travel 26 miles over a improved dirt & rock road to Black Canyon Campground. Turn left and travel .5 miles, over a steep stream crossing to the Lower Campground.
2 Reviews of Black Canyon Campground - Lower
Gorgeous campground 10 minutes from the Plaza

We visited Black Canyon last August on our way to Colorado and stayed two nights. What a lovely and well maintained place. camp hosts were absolutely wonderful. campers were clean, quiet and respectful. Bathrooms were just pit toilets, but man… they were CLEAN! It is cool at night, even in August, due to the elevation. We were so cozy in our wool socks and sleeping bags in a tent. It even hailed on us hard one day. I liked this place so much we booked it again this summer, but were disappointed to see it closed for the month due to wild fires nearby and extreme drought. We get it, but are super bummed. This place is just gorgeous.

Santa Fe National Forest

Beautiful campground in Santa Fe New Mexico. We came to stay one night to go to Meow Wolf and ended up staying 3 nights I liked it so much. Would be 5 stars but the water spigot only worked intermittently, and it was difficult to get a site due to online reservations, some of which weren't even used but sites were still considered occupied due to reservation. I dislike National Park Campgrounds utilizing online reservations, it makes it hard for those of us who wish to ramble aimlessly.

The birds are abundant here. I wore a red winter hat and had at least 10 hummingbirds buzz my head in one day. I could hear their wings and feel the breeze from them they came so close. Tons of shade here, and nice cool days with chilly nights in May. We had a night of sleet after a rainstorm with hail but the next two days were gorgeous. Conveniently located to Santa Fe amenities. I highly recommend this campground. Pit toilets were minimally smelly and relatively clean.