Loup City, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Loup City Camping Reviews
Mormon Island

Nice campground with access to fish 3 lakes! Very nice camp host!

Hall County Park

Cool campground with lots of playground equipment, easy access to walking and bike paths and right next to Stuhr Museum which is well worth a trip!

Homestead Knolls

Beautiful campground! Nice boat ramp but can be tricky to load if windy. Book in advance as this site is very popular and always full!

Calamis Lodge

Nice campground close to the lake and right next to the golf course!

Trade Winds

Awesome marina, great bait shop and restaurant! The campsites vary some in size and a few can feel cramped if campground is full.

Nice

Friendly staff, reservations made easy, clean bathrooms, very accommodating

Great stop!

Stopped on a trip from SD back to PA. Surrounded by corn fields… so pretty. We were starving and they had pizza delivered right to our camper! So glad we found this place!

Clean, peaceful, pretty

Spent a night here by the water and experienced a beautiful sunset. Its a perfect place to camp for a night or kayak for an afternoon. Got lucky enough to have the entire place to myself. Really relaxed place. Perfect for tent camping and a water view.

Easy Highway Access

Nebraska is abounding with recreation areas many within a reasonable distance of the main highway running across the state.   But War Axe, a much smaller area offers immediate access to fishing and fun within only 30 seconds of the highway!!

I visited this area and quickly was surprised by how such a small location could have such a great opportunity for someone like myself to enjoy a quiet day at a small lake.   Despite being so close to the highway, the location is quiet and calm, a perfect way to spend a day or up to 10 days.

There isn't much to say about this site that is negative, the grass is a plush green and backs up to a corn field, so iconically Nebraska!!   The site is small and only caters to a handful of campers at $10 per site.    While primitive there is a flush toilet with running water making it feel not quite as primitive as other sites along the same stretch.     Lush trees shade the camping zones and a small boat launch offers those stopping in. the opportunity to get in the water or enjoy the small shoreline.

One thing to be said for any recreation area in Nebraska is a friendly reminder that you will need an access pass to stay here or even visit.   These cannot be obtained at the site and must be repurchased before visiting either online or at one of the main offices.   This I found to be a big inconvenience throughout the entire state as I passed by on a weekend and was unaware.

The area is well patrolled and actually a ranger was present when I visited.   He was a great source of information and allowed me to access the area despite my lack of knowledge of the pass requirement.   There is no gate or monitoring when you enter only an honor box near the restrooms.

Campsites are marked with tables and fire rings and any restrictions are posted at the same area as the honor box.

I loved this location and would gladly stop in again if in the area!!  Very cute and small, not busy and easy to access makes for the perfect place to spend a day or night.

Tips:

• Make sure to look online and get your pass for any Nebraska parks or rec areas before traveling to.
  • Bring anything you need with you as there are no services.   Since this is along a major highway you are only a short distance from stores if you forget something but better come with everything rather than having to find them after.
Really nice!!

We were VERY satisfied here. The price was more than usual but it is a private facility. Beautiful sites, ponds for fishing. Camp store well attended. Staff and service excellent. Two state parks on the island give plenty of natural wonders, including a small beach. Location is so cool!

A little upkeep would make this a nice spot

Victoria Springs has 2 different areas for camping. One area is for tent camping ($15 a day) and has a small lake with paddle boats to use. The lake has an algae issue right now. This area has a picnic shelter and playground that is dated. There are 2 cute cabins available for rent which have fire rings and picnic tables. The other area is for RVs and you can have electric $20)or electric and water($30). Each site has a fire ring and picnic shelter and is on grass. There is a basketball hoop that needs help and horseshoe area which is overgrown. A little bit of upkeep and elbow grease and this would be a great getaway.

This is now called Wooden Castle

Wooden Castle is right off the highway. The sites are Electric/water and are located behind the motel. The are run down RVs that look like they h just been left there and others look like they live there. To be perfectly honest it was unappealing, I saw signs from the management/owners that were inappropriate and would not stay there.

Small in town RV park

Located in Broken Bow 2 blocks from the highway by the city park and is a small but nice RV Park. It is clean and well kept. All sites are full hook ups with a few on concrete but most on gravel. Most sites are pull thru. Not every site has a picnic bench, they are scattered around. This is a fairly new park, has 15 spaces and has no shade. Daily fee is $20.

Victoria springs

Nice secluded campground.

Aug 5th-11th

While camping at Morman Island, we went through one of the worst storms! 85 to 90 mile an hour winds with hail! It was bad enough to go through the storm but it really was bad that not one person from the campground came around to check on us the next morning! They really just concentrated on the clean up. The priorities were messed up. At the time of the storm there were only 25 campers in the whole place. How long would it have taken to check on the well being of those 25 campers! There was no prior warning of the storm from anybody at the campground. Other campgrounds that we’ve stayed at, we always have had a heads up. The pictures are from the morning after. Not just a little blow! Overall the visit wasn’t the best with the storm and all. There are several rules that are clearly posted throughout the grounds and at the pond. Dogs on a 6 ft leash. No floaties in the swimming area. No dogs on the beach. No parking on the grass. All of these were being violated and not one person from the staff could be seen addressing any issues. People were doing whatever they wanted to. I would have loved to let my dog go swimming but it was against the rules. The section we were in was a new section, but we could not even let our dog out in our camp site because of an abundance of stickers and burrs! She at one point just laid down because of her paws filled with burrs and could not walk any more. This was in our site. I’m not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The facilities were very clean. (They need a shower house in the new section). Making the reservation was very easy. The people we did talk to were very nice.

Small Scenic Campground

Very small campground inside the Burwell city park. Four electrical hookups, two back in & two pull-through. Very old wooden pit toilets, may have showers up at the pool & had one flush toilet restroom on the outside wall of the pool house that had a door (unlocked at all times we were there.) We stayed in one of the back-in sites that was right on the Loup River. Very quiet with no hi-way noise. We were there two nights and a Burwell sheriff drove through one night, and a Nebraska state patrol cruiser drove through the other night we were there. We had a very nice quiet stay there.

Davis Creek Campground site 72 review plus ADA review.

Davis creek is a 67 camp site (25 primitive/2 ADA, 42 electric/3 ADA) nestled in rolling hills of Valley county Nebraska on the Davis Creek reservoir.  Camping is permitted year round although water is only available April 1 to November 30th.  There is also a camp host in the RV section from April-Nov.  There are no established trails for hiking but the gravel roads throughout the camp are used for walking and bike riding.

This is a lake and campground that went from very primitive just over 20 years ago to a top notch natural resource district campground and recreation area.  The NRD is investing heavily in this campground with large shelters, shower house (bring quarters), 2 boat ramp areas, large fish cleaning station, ADA ramps, fishing docks, and a small swimming beach.  The rumor from the locals is that the entire campground will be electric in the near future.  I was really impressed to find free WiFi added in 2019!  The WiFi was strong and reliable everywhere in the campground.

I camped on site 72 which is an electrical site capable of facilitating smaller RV’s, campers or tents.  Site 72 was near water, a brick restroom building and the shower building.  You’ll be hard pressed to find any adequate shade at any of the sites here although the row of 60’s will offer some late day/evening shade.  All of the sites have very nice concrete pads with large fire rings with grilling grates in addition to large concrete pads with picnic tables.  There is plenty of green space at most sites and at 72 we set up horseshoe stakes and had all the room we needed.

The lake:  we took our kayaks out and did some fishing on this campout.  Access to the lake is easy with nice wide boat ramps at two different let in’s.  This is a popular fishing and water sport lake that does allow skiing and high speed water sports.  If you like to fish I recommend going to the inlet a couple of miles North of the campground, it seems to be the most popular spot for on water and shore-line fishing.  We trolled lines behind our kayaks and caught white bass on this Memorial Day weekend in 2019.

ADA site:  There was a really nicely designed ADA site next to site 72 that I think is worth mentioning here.  The site was flat with a concrete path that connected the site to the walking path to the restrooms.  The fire ring and picnic table were also designed for those wheelchair bound.  I’ve attached some pictures below.  If you have disabilities you’ll have access to everything you need at this campground.

To many signs!

The facilities are very clean. The grounds are well kept.
The only down side I didn’t like was the amount of signs throughout the grounds! There are signs every where telling you what you can’t do. They could do with a few less signs. A overall nice place to set up. Plenty of space between sites so you are not on top of each other.

Nice and quiet

Small park with no extras…no running water, no playground equipment, no electricity. The grounds were kept up nicely and there is an outhouse for use. The mosquitos were terrible. There’s two small ponds for fishing, I wouldn’t recommend swimming in them. The loup river is a short distance away and it is BEAUTIFUL.

Good stop

Pool was chilly but nice after a long day of driving. Surrounded by cornfields with interstate close it works for a quick stop. Don’t be fooled not all sites have cable as advertised.

Looks great!

This campground looks great. The lake looks inviting and has a swim area as well as fishing. Well maintained and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Cute campground

This campground is near a lake, looks cute and decently kept up. One of the bigger playgrounds was partially underwater. All the RV spots were filled so we didn’t end up staying there. A sign indicates gates close at 8:30. So if you are arriving late, or wanting a night out in town this may not be the campground for you.

Cute with full hookups

After being stranded for several hours with a flat tire we found ourselves behind schedule, And making it by with 5 out of 6 tires. We were told by the super helpful and friendly locals of this rv park which is simple and small. It has full electrical, water and sewage hookups. There is a playground in the same area as well as a city park about 2 blocks away. The city park has bathrooms. No showers. Quaint little town, and we were grateful for a place to park when we were left somewhat stranded.

Arrive Early

My husband and I did a long anniversary weekend here to enjoy the beautiful weather. We stayed here early October of 2016! Like I said in the title, if possible arrive early on the weekend or even a little earlier during the week to get the best spot in the area. We were lucky enough to get this spot and it must be a hot commodity because we had no less than 10 different people drove past to see if the spot was open. As you can see from the pictures, the spot is just a short walk from the small sand pit lake. Makes it ideal for early morning fishing and a quick kayak launch site. If you love fishing and floating around beautiful lakes, this is the spot for you. There is no modern amenities so you will have to rough it for a few days, which we don’t mind at all. Early October was a perfect time to go, the trees were still changing colors and the smell of fresh fall air was everywhere!

Nuda sholls

Nuda sholls campground at calamus state recreation area is a nice little spot to setup for a few days and enjoy the 4,500 acre calamus reservoir. There are roughly 30 sites in this particular area. Half are first come first serve and the other half are by reservation. All sites are electrical only. There is a nice modern shower and bath facility to utilize if you want to conserve your fresh water tank. Toilets are free and it only costs $1.25 for a 7 minute hot shower. My family and I have created many memories here and hope to make many more

Small park

Smaller park with about 15 tent sites with fire pits and picnic tables. Outhouse facilities with no access to fresh water. There is no playground equipment. Access to 2 fishing ponds and a short hike to access river.

Great little spot!

Decent camping spots, with lots of lakeshore for fishing and kayaking.

Good overnight

Several good fishing ponds, my favorite is back on the service road.

Clear water

Close to I80. Beautiful clear waters. No electricity. Swimming area.

Close to I80

Good fishing. Two ponds. Right off I80.