Ashland, NEBRASKA
Most Recent Ashland Camping Reviews
Nice local gem

We went out to Czechland with my sons scout troop and had a nice time camping and fishing. The lake is gorge and the boys were catching a lot of crappie, as well as some large mouth bass and bluegill. They have some really flat tent areas, as well as some basic spots for RV’s. Very quiet area with some great views of the lake. The weather was a bit up in the air for some of the weekend and they do not have any storm shelters, so that is about the only thing does require an upgrade. Overall though it is a great place.

So much to do here

This park has a little of everything. Great sites— different loops to stay at. Nice bathrooms. Hiking trails and bike trails. Water park, horse riding area, fishing pond and more. This place does get packed so might have to make reservations early depending on weekend of course.

Nice spring night!

We really enjoyed taking our boys out to Memphis SRA for a quick overnight camp. We are still in the middle of some bird migrations, so the geese we really loud but that is just due time of year. The boys did some fishing, but nothing was biting when we were there. The one big downfall is the number of trailers there running their generators. That did get annoying at night, but overall we will be back!

Winter Getaway

We stayed in the recently renovated Owen #4. The renovations really updated it and they need to update the pictures they have on the web, with what it looks like now. New appliances, new furniture, fixtures, new bunk beds, etc. The cabin was very clean and organized upon arrival. They supply most everything thing you need i.e. dishes, cookware, etc. The one thing it does need is a corkscrew! We forgot ours and went without the wine we brought for dinner. With that bombshell though, it was beyond worth the getaway. The winter hiking was fantastic and it was quiet except for the wildlife, but that is why we went out there!

Hiking and Archery!

As a family we go to Hitchcock a few times a year for the hiking and the archery range they have on-site. Both are excellent and a nice escape from the city! This spring/summer I am planning to take our boys for a nice hike in camp!

Wonderful campground just below Gavins Point Dam

We were hoping to camp here below Gavin's Point Dam and enjoy Lewis and Clark Lake, a very large lake on the Missouri on the SD/ NE border By Yankton. They had closed just before our arrival.

Looked very nice and I was told that pads w/ electricity were only $16.

Good primitive camping by a nice lake

Wagon Train has some good primitive sites, a nice Beach, good fishing, and plenty to explore. Fishing is great and includes bluegill, channel catfish, crappie, freshwater drum, largemouth bass, muskellunge, redear sunfish, walleye and wiper which is about the largest variety you will find in a Nebraska lake.

A mile-long hiking and biking trail is also found in the park.

Nice lake south of Lincoln

Stagecoach is a very popular lake south of Lincoln. Vault and flush toilets. Power and primitive camping.

The lake contains crappie, largemouth bass, and walleye.

This is a smaller, quieter, and less expensive option to the larger lakes north of Lincoln,

Free overnight camping for Oak creek trail users

The village of Valparaiso allows camping at the city park at the trailhead to the Oak Creek trail. Camping is free and there are electric hookups and water at the park.

The village allows limited stay for free to those using the trail.

the park has charcoal pits and is close to the library where you can access wifi even after the library is closed.

Two convenient stores are close.

Nice Lakeside Campground close to Wildlife Area, golf, and Platte River

Campsites close to the lake and nice paved walking trail. Several options for camping include primitive for $10, power for $15, and full hookups for $20. Pay showers and flush toilets. Wildlife area south of town is right on the river and good for a quiet hike.

Nice playgrounds for the kids.

Schuyler has some of the best Mexican food in the state.

Nice Clean Lake North of small town with nice Czech Bakery

Clean quiet lake by Prague a small Nebraska town with a great Bakery and fun festivals.

The camping is quiet and clean as were the toilets. I did not fish but was told the fishing was very good,

Primitive camping off highway 50

Worth Brothers Rec Area is located west off Highway 50 on 733 road on gravel. It is a primitive camping area - no hook ups. It has a few fire rings, and raised grills. There are picnic table and a covered group picnic shelter. There is drinking water, bathrooms, playground, archery, and a swimming beach. $5 a day or $15 for annual permit.

Canoe or hike in and possibly see Bigfoot?

"Nebraska’s state wildlife management areas are open to… many activities, including hiking, bird watching, nature study, and primitive camping. Maps of WMAs may be found in the Public Access Atlas."

"Access to these lands is free, and no entry permit is necessary."

Primitive camping right along the beautiful Platte River just south of Schuyler, NE.

While hiking along the trail I came across a freshly killed deer. On my return I passed by again and saw the skin had been peeled back like a turtleneck shirt you are removing. I tried to think What animal would peel the skin of a deer??? So if you go there, keep a lookout for Bigfoot!

Cute lake near town

It’s a nice campground especially since it’s MWR. Many full hook up sites and a very nice boat house with water toy rentals. We stayed off season and the self registration is easy. Only issue we had was determining which sites were the dry lower rate sites. The tent camping is even less identifiable. It is exposed to the elements and we actually broke camp at night due to high winds. I’d like to try this place again if we are in the area again.

Good for fishing

We primary visit Lake Wanahoo for fishing as the large lake is well stocked. They provide tent and RV camping. However, there is almost no wind break or shade throughout the area. High winds or extreme temperatures can wreak havoc on overnight trips. That also makes privacy tough to come by. The facilities are all relatively new and clean.

Ultimate in 21st Century Family Camping

This is a highly developed state park boasting an aquatic center, indoor gardens, zip lines, horseback riding, cabins and even a hotel on site. Popular for family reunions due to the amount of space and accessibility. There is a wonderful lookout tower that allows people to take in views of the Platte River. Nestled between two major cities in Nebraska, you're never far away from anything you may want to do or see. RV and tent camping is obviously available with limited privacy. This is also a great event venue with multiple large buildings available for reservations. This is not the 'roughing it' kind of camping, but rather a fun experience for the whole family.

Best for a short camping trip or day trip

With tent and RV camping, this is a great place for a quick getaway if you live in Southeast Nebraska. There are picnic facilities and a snack bar, but you're also not too far from Fremont where you can buy supplies or grab something to eat. There is not much privacy as a side effect of having few trees. The lake is stocked so it's a decent spot for fishing.

Sorry for the intrusion

Waubonsie State Park near Hamburg, Iowa is under construction. That is the road was when we visited. The workers were not the most helpful either. That being said the park employees were very informative, if you could find one.

We visited enroute through the area and enjoyed the trails most of all. Though my map skills are questionable I had a more then usual difficult time navigating by the map supplied. The signage was close to non-existent. I fell back on the tried and true , always go left. Which worked well enough for the ridge line we hiked. Some awesome views.

I often have the problem of comparing places I’ve been. You can’t do this state to state I’ve learned because they all run, staff and take care of their natural resources in different ways. I do my best to base my opinion on face value and impressions of my visit to that park. Waubonsie SP is my first Iowa Park , I was not impressed. BUT it was in the style I like, sparsely used, I saw few campers or employees. Of course school was in and harvest going on and I know that makes a huge difference in certain states. Mostly just blue-hairs camping right now, soon to snowbird to the south :) I aspire to that life someday.

Other then the roadwork the park looked to be somewhat maintained. The cabins I saw need some updating but were functional. The campground was basic, grill, fire ring , picnic table, electric on designated sites. Needed some clean up and graveling on the pads. The facilities were not ancient and were maintained okay. The visitors center looked brand new but was closed so no souvenirs goodies.

I would not consider this a destination campground, but the view is worth an overnight enroute somewhere else.

Noisy

Train noise all night

Area 10 Contains Multiple Primitive Campgrounds

Area 10 contains multiple campgrounds, all primitive and at least one does not allow RVs.

Area 10 contains a camping area next to one of the beaches, a group camping area, and several secluded spots.

The entrance to Area 10 is close to the pay showers, the marina, and the restaurant.

Primitive Campground w/ Tables, Showers, Marina, Restaurant, Docks, & More

This is a really nice camping area with lots of amenities.

Each site has fire rings and picnic tables. The area is next to the marina and abounds with waterfowl. The pay showers are right at the entrance to the area. Kayak rentals available.

This is great primitive camping.

Great variety of activity you'll be surprised of the 1 thing you can' t do

I hope this will be the most useful review I have ever done.

Best beach at the lake, a nice disc golf course, a great picnic area. We picnicked in this area nearly every weekend during the summer. The bike trail with bike repair station is in good shape. The archery range looks like a lot of fun.

There is plenty to do in Area 6, but the one thing you cannot do is…camp.

Too tight

Stayed one night. That was enough! Sites were so tight we couldn’t use our picnic table. Wouldn’t recommend them unless there was no other choice.

Roomy but not

Pawnee Lake State Recreation Area was within 30 minutes of Lincoln, NE . Try to make sure all essentials are packed to enjoy your stay without frequent trips to town. This is one of those spots where you can easily park the car and use other means of transportation for your whole visit.(ie, feet, bike, boat, horse, etc.)

There are options to where you camp. RV sites and tent in three different areas. This is not my favorite sort of tent camping, you have to park and walk everything to your site. Some tent sites are located right on the lake which is nice, you can easily park your watercraft nearby. However if it’s busy your neighbors are going to be very nearby. Not much privacy in that case. We however were completely alone when we visited, the crappy weather played a part I’m sure. Shade, which we didn’t need and picnic tables. If you have a hammock you may have an issue with getting it hung, bring alternate means of suspension.

The trails are multi-use so pay attention. We were hiking in the rain so did not see anyone but the trail apples were fresh. Were we hiked it was grassy and mostly level, there was an area where hikers had trails to themselves and a few benches to sit on.

The lake looked nice but I didn’t see anyone on it. I didn’t see any algae signs but the weather may have been a factor too. We overnighted so I didn’t get to completely explore the entire area. It was pretty quiet, some motor noises but they were more of a background noise. Worth an extended stay as long as the lake is open.

Spacious Pair of Primitive Campgrounds

This is really two large primitive campgrounds each capable of holding crowds of campers. Though this does not have flush toilets or showers they are very near in the adjacent campground.

This campground is on the peninsula of Branched Oak Lake and is close to area 6 which has all the fun stuff. See the review of area 6!

Nearby Malcolm has one of the best BBQ joints in the state, and people throughout the area go to a little town called Bee, close by, for an awesome fish fry every Friday night.

Equestrian, Tent, and RV Lakeside Camping Area

Camping area 2 has a lot to offer, even if you don't own a horse.

The area is well known for being the equestrian camping area at one of the finest lakes in Nebraska. Pull through sites with full hookups, equestrian trails, and corals. Yet few people realize that there is a nice RV and tent camping area, lovely inlet with lakesides slabs, Boat docks, and Boat ramps. Showers are not available at area #2 but are available at a closeby area #1.

The lake has some nice trails including the equestrian trail that comes from the park. The park has several beaches 2 of them very close. There are archery and shotgun ranges at the lake and a decent disc golf course.

At a popular lake, this is a nice yet secluded camping area that often gets overlooked.

Free Camping close to Hiking, Biking, Equestrian Trail

This free camping area is low on amenities, but os well kept and close to the Oak Creek Trail which extends from Valparaiso to Brainard Nebraska.

The Lake is lovely with such good trails it is often used as a cross-country race site. This NRD lake has 3 gravel slabs close to a vault toilet and water hydrant. It is just up the hill from the boat ramp.

Lovely Large Lake North of Lincoln, Free Camping, Great Fishing

this is a nice secluded NRD lake north of Lincoln. No real amenities and little to do in the surrounding area. This park is kept up better than most of the NRD lakes. It has vault toilets in both access areas. Nice fishing and nice boating, especially canoe or kayak.

If you need wheelchair access and love fishing, this would be a great spot.

NRDs are Natural Resource Districts, smaller than State but multi-county.

Rough, Free, Beautiful

One of several beautiful lakes run by the NRD, a multi-county natural resource entity that only Nebraska has. This lake has little except great views, fishing, and seclusion. I assume that RVs can park in the gravel area but there are no slabs.

Johnny-on-the-Spots were rough and I found no hiking trails, but deer trails abound. This would be a great camping spot if you wanted to get away but needed to stay close to a road.

I liked this place

This campground was very nice for us! We were able to get in and out of our space without any issues.

The weather was amazing and we were able to get so much work done before we had to leave.