About Rising Sun - Glacier National Park
National Park Service
Rising Sun - Glacier National Park is located in Glacier National Park in Montana
18 Reviews of Rising Sun - Glacier National Park
Loud but has trees.

We were roasting in the throws of Hades down at St. Mary's campground so decided to get up early and get a FCFS spot at Rising Sun, as none are reserveable (pre-covid). This campground is has trees and shade.  I arrived at 6:50am, and the car line to get on a list to put your name on a camp list with a ranger was 17 deep. They took 10 each time and assigned a spot. I waited about 90 minutes in said car line. Ranger gave a great 'bear aware' and camp cleanliness talk to the group before releasing to find assigned site. This campground is way too close for me, neighbors at every turn. Two sites over held 40 people having a GREAT time, and I would have a great time if I knew them, but since I didn't and they were drinking and smoking and laughing until 1am, I can't say they were fun. Then at 2am, four college kids next to us returned, whisper yelling not to vomit, but of course did. And I then laid awake the rest of the night worrying the vomit would attract the resident bear near our tent and my small children. Learning my lesson again, I'll avoid campgrounds and stick to the back country. Bathroom was clean, no shower. About 7 phones charging in the loo. Buy your firewood where you burn it, don't transport wood anywhere.

Sue is the best!

Location is super close to hiking, lakes, and horse back riding. Sue was our site manager and was absolutely amazing!!

Arrive early!

The most popular campsites fill up by 9:30 pm during the busy season here, so be prepared. The campground is first come first serve only, and they recommend nothing over 25ft. If you’re visiting during the busy season, drive to your desired campsite the night before to see which people are leaving the next day (you can just look on their tags). Write down the # and get there early on the next day. There is a restaurant/motel and camp store just outside the camping area.

I stayed on the far southwestern part of the campground and saw bears every night we were there. The bears weren’t too concerned with humans and mainly looking for trash. The campground is very strict about putting food away and they have bear lockers, so do everyone a favor and store your food/trash correctly. There are 2 shower stalls behind the camp store and it is $3.25 for 7-minute shower. The campground also has potable water and flush toilets.

Excellent hiking and great views!

Location!

The advantages here are many! Just off going to the sun road, but generally quiet. Fire pits, trees and nature around, yet very close by is a store, pay showers and a restaurant. Or just tent and do your own thing at your site. If you are a photographer, this is the place for easy access to wild goose overlook sunrise photography as less than a mile away. Also, very easy access to St. Mary 6 miles and then many glacier and other 18 miles (which is nearly impossible to get a camping spot at)

great spot

this is a perfect national park campground! flushing toilets, great tasting water, place to dump your dish water, trash, recycling, a general store that has any and everything you need! love it. best national park to boot.

Nice camp site

plan ahead. if you can reserve a site before hand. If not plan on staying outside the park and get to the site entrance before 6AM during peak seasons. you have to wait in line during busy tourist months. The campsite has lots of spots though and is first come first serve. Bathrooms weren’t the cleanest but did have running water. No showers but you can purchase a token and take a shower at the store near camp site. Saw a deer and a fox. This is bear country and you have to store items in car or food locker.

Great location, awesome

You are pretty close to your neighbors, but if you are looking to explore the northern and southern parts of Glacier national park, this is a good spot to camp.

Shady and relaxing

The campground had plenty of shady and open (sunny spots)! Also a beautiful view of the mountains or a cliff, depending on the site. The sites are relatively close to one another for the majority of the sites, but it seemed like this was normal when we drove through the other campgrounds in Glacier. The reason I would not give it more stars is because their shower 'system' is ridiculous, you pay to use the shower, however there is only shower for each men and women and it is shared with the entire campground. I spent 2 hours waiting most nights for a shower. They need to construct more showers.

Great Tenting Spot

Centrally located on east side of park on the Going To The Sun Road. Nice sites, never filled up while we were there in mid June. We had a family of marmots behind us and even saw a young Black Bear walk about 150’ behind us as well. About ~30 min to Many Glacier 10 min to St.Mary.

Bear country

A family of black bears peacefully passed through this campground when we were there. Clean facilities and close to gorgeous hikes. A short walk to St Mary Lake.