Cascade, MONTANA

Most Recent Cascade Camping Reviews
Not the location of Jo Bonnor - this is a maintenance facility

This is not the correct location of Jo Bonnor Campground, this site is a maintenance facility.

Small riverside campground

This is a really small campground squeezed between the road and the river. The beauty of the river did not add enough to the appeal of this place for us. Sites are filling up though. Sites have decent room with taller grass around. One vault toilet is shared with camp.

We didn’t get a comfortable vibe here. Maybe it’s the busy road or small space or a long day of traveling. This was one of the only options as other campgrounds filled up quickly for the weekend.

There is ample fishing in a beautiful river. A few hiking trails are around that you can drive to. Big Timber is an easy 30ish mile drive away.

Not my kind of camping

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to a site. I treasure seclusion, trees, and a lack of crowds/people. This site is by some beautiful water, but that’s about all it has. No trails, everything is wide open and people can really get packed in there. That being said, it’s ok for a quick weekend trip if you live in Helena. Not my first, second, or third choice tho. Lots of RV’s. Keep in mind that this is the same for all of the sites in the canyon ferry/Missouri River area. Just not for me.

Small free campground with plenty to do

Atkinson Park Campground at the north west corner of Cascade offers free camping at the north end of the park. Camping at the park appears to most suited to RV camping as they don't want any camping outside of the parking pads due to not wanting damage to their sprinkler system. That being said it appears that you should have room for your vehicle and a tent as long as you did not have a trailer with you. The park has a pavilion with running water, and BBQ grills. Flushing toilets are also available. The individual camp sites do not have tables or fire rings. Camping is limited to three nights. It appears that the campground has 4 sites, sites 2, 3 and 6 are marked, another spot which I assume is site 1 looks the same as 2& 3, could not find any place that might be sites 4 and 5. Additional recreational activities are available during your stay. The park has a nice sized playground, tennis courts, horseshoe pits and a skate park. For the RV crowd there is a free RV dump at the entrance to the campground. The campground sits along side the interstate so you will have plenty of road noise throughout the night. While this would not be my choice for a location to camp, it is a free camp ground that would be a good spot to stay the night for a tired traveler

A nice lil place to be

I went just overnight to go watch the metor shower. I camped in a tent. Deer wandered into the campground throughout the night and morning. You can hear logging creek moving from no matter where you are. The road was a lil rough with the washed out gullies in the road with the cattle guards. But I overall loved it.

Pretty good campground

Was a pretty decent campground to camp at. It was mostly TT staying there at the time we went and seen wildlife within the first 30 min of setting up. Swimming area is nice and water was warm however it may have been too hot to tent camp. There was only a few places to find shade to set up a tent but we were unable to fine a shady spot for throughout the day that's the only reason for the 4 and not 5 stars.

Very nice.

In response to Adrian S, who posted similarly under another name on Google….some facts are being left out.  She stated “after reading the rules about tents” the hosts tried to “extort money from them”. If they read the rules they state camp sites are for one camping unit with one tent allowed for children 17 and under.  When asked about the tent they initially said it would be occupied by adults, when told them about the rules they stated there would be a ch8ld joining them….so it was dropped.  In addition, we wouldn’t ask them to pay more for another adult tent, they would be asked to obtain a second site.  As for stepping in front of her husband….he was speeding throughout the campsite (the two were obviously having a disagreement, but the speeds he was traveling in his anger, could have hurt someone. He did almost hit me as I tried to get him to slow down, but definitely didn’t “throw” myself in front of him….I had to move out of his way….and she wasn’t in site of the occurrence.  When she came walking past I asked if that was her husband and when she confirmed it was, I told her he needed to slow down in the campground and she proceeded to start cussing at me…to which I responded “no problem, I’ll just call the Sheriff.

I normally don’t respond to criticism…if I’m in the wrong and/or true facts are stated.

Popular with the boating, fishing, and RV croud!

Usually pretty well filled up most last spring and summer weekends.  Not so busy during weekdays.

Nice Family Run Campground

This is a former KOA campground that was purchased by a family. We stayed her in the summer of 2018 during a very hot spell. We didn't have reservations and fit onto a site (#22) with a nice view of the distant mountains. Restrooms were always clean, even very early in the morning. We stayed two times. The second time we again didn't have reservations and they were expecting a large influx of families for a baseball tournament. They put us in the large RV area and we were grateful for accommodation. They have a small mini-golf area, picnic tables at the sites, and full hookups (as expected). They also have laundry facilities.

Listed twice

This campsite is listed twice. Maybe someone added a new one and didn’t see this one. This one does have a good description of the campsite. Great campsite. The pictures should give a good idea of the area and the great campground. As well as rules and costs. The river is across the highway.