About Judge Magney State Park
Hike In
Judge Magney State Park is located in Minnesota
14 Reviews of Judge Magney State Park
Devils Kettle hiking trail

Didn’t camp there but hiked it last year in May!

Great place to hike

We were impressed with how great the hiking trails were. We only had a few hours to explore the park and we were not disappointed. The trail to Devil's Kettle was a nice hike. Be warned lots of stairs but excellently maintained.

Ranger Review: Ethnotek Cross Body Bag at Judge C. R. Magney State Park

Campground Review:

On our 3rd day of a 4 day trip on the Superior Hiking Trail, heading north out of Grand Marais, we stopped at Judge C.R. Magney State Park. Our morning started at the Kadunce campsite; we headed south and did the famed lake walk and then headed north following the little Brule River, then a straight line East following private property until we hit Judge Magney and did a short stint south to the campsite. The next morning we'd be heading North again along the Brule River. Passing the famed Devils Kettle, a waterfall that splits in two and half disappears. Back at the campsite we were site #8. It is a spacious flat area that is suitable for drive in campers and vehicles. The fire pit and picnic table were together and there were a few trees at the site to hang our hammocks from. The bathrooms were across the road, a comfortable distance for noise but easy access at night. We were also very close to the SHT to hop right back on the next morning. Overall the location was pretty great, we were surrounded by nature on two sides and the other campsite was pretty separate from us. Just an FYI it was a quiet campsite mostly filled with older couples.

Product Review:

During our backpacking trip we took a few "excursions" without our heavier backpacks and we used the Ethnotek Cross Body Bag to bring along snacks and extras. Some pro's of the bag were the large opening and sizable closure. Inside were a few different sized pockets for holding smaller items and a small side zip for quickly grabbing an item without opening the whole bag. The large 'seatbelt' looking strap could be held around the waist, fanny pack style, or cross body. For me the crossbody was a bit of an awkward fit. Being a women the strap goes right across the chest and either smooshes you or divides you extravagantly. Wearing it as a fanny pack, it's a bit large so you wear it with the bag to the back and it works well. The unique styling of the bag design and the fabrics make this a fun bag to travel with. I always enjoy products that support artisans from other cultures and Ethnotek does just that. Overall I give the Cross Body Bag by Ethnotek 4.5 out of 5 stars. https://ethnotek.com/products/cyclo-cross-body-bag?variant=1894797639704

OK for a short stay

This was our least favorite of campsites of four this summer. The sites were so close together and I felt bad for the people who were next to my sometimes rambunctious kids. There were a lot of trees for our hammock, though! There was not a lot to do, but maybe a good stop if someone is hiking the Superior Trail.

We did enjoy hiking to Devil’s Kettle Falls and driving down to the lake to look for agates. Brunch at Naniboujou Lodge was a nice hot breakfast. Other than that, nothing too spectacular.

Few sites, very close together

We felt like we were camping with 20 other people we didn’t know. Sometimes that is ok, but it can get annoying with no privacy. I would recommend heading into the National Forest if you want privacy.

Clean and Perfect

Judgr Magney was a visit for me while hiking the Superior Hiking Trail. This trail cuts through the park as part of it's 300 + mile journey through the Northeast part of the state. This park was a beautiful place for a good night rest and the free Wi-Fi was a good chance to touch base with family. The park is well layed out, the campground was well kept and facilities were immaculate! Just walking through the park was such a different feel and atmosphere than the trail itself, but you could tell that the park was going to be a gem as you followed the river into the park. This park has spectacular over looks including the famous Devil's Kettle Falls! These are a sight to see but be prepared for steps, steps and more steps. There are a couple of different views of the falls and none should be missed. The park is located of HWY 61, if you need to stop for conveniences Grand Marais is a short drive south.

Up the North Shore of Mn.

Very nice campground with beautiful trails to hike up river and down..and good fishing area besides. Nice showers and bathrooms. Listening to the ripples of the river all night. Wonderful sound. Long stairway down to Devils Kettle. Water falls up stream and Lake Superior down stream.

One of my favorites!

Yes this park is FAR up the north shore, but that should NOT stop you from checking it out. I have stayed here 2-3 times and every time I find new adventures. There are great trails at the park itself, definitely check out Devils Kettle and marvel in where that water all goes. If you feel like exploring elsewhere there are so many options within ½ hour drives of this park it’s insane!

On our most recent visit last weekend it was raining at our site so we decided to drive into Grand Marais, about 25-30 min away - there was a little farmers market going on, we checked out the camp supply store where we were given advice to hike up Eagle Mountain, the highest elevation in MN. It was an AMAZING hike, 7 miles round trip but worth every step!

I have stayed at a few different sites at Judge Magney, they all offer their own charm. Most recently we were in site #24 and I think it was my favorite thus far. It offers a picnic table, fire ring, and flat clearing for your tent like all the others, but when the sun came up in the morning it hits your tent just right in the clearing to let you know it’s going to be a beautiful day. You can clearly see the people at the sites on either side of you, but they’re far enough away where you rarely notice them. Directly behind the tent spot is a wooded hill that leads down to highway 61 - being from the city though I didn’t notice the cars driving by. I actually noticed when there weren’t anymore driving by later in the evening and the frogs were out singing.

As most Minnesotans are realizing, the parks are busy and loud in the summers. This park was no different but I think most people here were aware of the sound they were making and no one was extremely obnoxious.

Great hiking

Well maintained. Easy in and out. Fairly private campsites. Great hiking trails that lead to Devil's Kettle Falls.

Judge C.R. Magney State Park

Well maintained. Easy in and out. Fairly private. Hiking trails lead right to Devil's Kettle Falls. Great scenery and plenty of areas to explore.