Yurts
$4.00 - $20.00
Hike In
Presque Isle - Porcupine Mountains State Park is located in Michigan
30 Reviews of Presque Isle - Porcupine Mountains State Park
open and close proximity camping

The sites were open and close together. The ‘No Generator’ rule was not enforced. The vault toilets were in need of pumping and the dumpsters were full and overflowing. The hiking was great and there were paths that were less traveled of you are looking for more solitude.

Well maintained and absolutely gorgeous

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful for starters. Also, the campground is gorgeous and there are a wide variety of sites suitable for trailer or tent camping including some walk-in sites that are very private. There are plenty of trees to shade you from the morning sun. The campground is located right on the shore of Lake Superior so each night prepare yourself for the most beautiful sunset you’ll ever witness. You’re also located near plenty of trails that lead to water falls.

Beautiful Escape

This campground was well maintained and had beautiful camp sites. We stayed in the walk up site near the lake. We were able to see the sunset each night and wake up to the waves of Lake Superior. There are great trails near the campgrounds that you can walk to or drive to. I would definitely recommend this campground!

Deep in the wilderness

This a great rustic campground. If you are looking for real out door experience with no common amenities except running water this is the place for you. Enjoy amazing waterfalls, rugged camping and gorgeous lake Superior sunsets… About as perfect as it gets!

Great campground with spectacular views of Lake Superior!

Great little campground on the south end of the park. Campground was quiet at night and everyone camping was very friendly. The vault toilets were clean and not smelly. Make sure to bring bug spray that works for both mosquitos and biting flies though!

Ranger Review: Matador DL16 daypack at Presque Isle

Campground Review:

There are a couple of camping options in the Porcupine Mountains of northern Michigan. Presque Isle is a primitive campground on the western side of the park. There are 50 sites, with generator and non-generator sites clearly separated (although that didn’t stop some idiot from parking his RV on the edge of the non-generator side and running his generator until 2am- the only one running a generator in all 50 sites). On the non-generator side sites on the outside of the loop back to either the woods or the lake and have great hammocking options. Sites on the inside of the loop are kind of in the open, with no privacy and just a few hammocking trees. All of the campground is well shaded. The vault toilets were clean, but in need of being pumped out. There is a steep trail to the lake (some of this is covered in staircases, but the last scramble is down a steep slope). The trailhead to the waterfall trails is located in the generator side of the campground. There is also a trail to the lake and a small beach where you could swim.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review products from time to time. On this trip I got to review the Matador DL16 Backpack. I found this to be a really handy day pack to have around for this trip. While I brought my Osprey Talon daypack, I never used it, instead grabbing this little guy time and time again. This was a super convenient pack to toss in my gear tub and pull out (literally) when I wanted a small lightweight option.

Here’s what I liked:

1. When packed up in its little bag it fits in the palm of my hand. That means it easily fits in my gear tub for storage.
  2. It weighs nothing. This was especially nice when my body was sore and tired from all of the hiking I was doing.
  3. The side mesh pockets expanded to hold my nalgene water bottles with no problem. I have had other small day packs that can’t handle a 32 ounce bottle. This one handles two with no problem.
  4. The front pocket is deep! Usually a front pocket is really shallow and barely holds your keys, let alone your phone. On the Matador DL16 Backpack I was able to put my key, phone, map, and granola bar in the front pocket with room for more, even with the main compartment full with my camera and rain gear.
  5. The shoulder straps look flimsy but were able to handle the load without cutting into my shoulders. They also never seemed wet when I sweated through. Quick dry to the rescue! They also had easy adjustment straps that never seemed to be hanging down in the way.

Here are the things I think could be improved:

1. It would be nice to have one or two loops to clip on extra items.
  2. I wish it had either a sternum strap or hip belt to help carry the load better.

Overall, I really liked this for carrying a light load on a day hike.

Great walk-in sites

So the drive-in sites are literally all right next to each other, no privacy at all. There are some drive-in sites next to the shore (enscarpment) and those looked nice with trees and a bit more privacy. The walk-in sites have some distance between them, but not visual privacy, as the tree canopy is very tall. Walk-in was not too far, we kept our food in our car and walked back and forth for it. Bears visited a few of the walk-in sites on our last night, so be very good about keeping food, etc. in your car. No bear boxes in this park. Beautiful Lake Superior sunsets! Because it's on the border of the Eastern time zone, day light lingers for a long time in the summer. Water and pit toilets were close by. Water was clear and cold! Many families, children, and dogs present and everyone was quiet and well-behaved. Will definitely be back. The biting flies were a bit much and caused us to literally run out the last morning we were there, but that happens. We will definitely be back!

Very nice

Well maintained campground. No service with Verizon phone. Went in early june and very cold because of lake superior, so bring sweatshirts. Has divided campgrounds for generator and non-generator sides for people who like the quiet. Great hiking around the area for all ages, kida loved it

Great views no signal

I had a great time here, the campground is very secluded and the closest town is about 15-18 miles away Porcupine mountains is a huge area to explore and there’s so much around it that you kinda jump around trying to see everything. You should probably make sure you have a full tank of gas when you hit that last town before you get here there is a lot of miles between the campground and civilization. I have AT&T and didn’t have phone signal which is very nice I don’t like phones disturbing my Adventures

Fall lakeside solitude

Later in the fall, high winds off the lake, great location