Cresaptown , MARYLAND

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Cresaptown Camping Reviews
Secluded but convenient.

We stayed at campsite #1 off of 15 mile creek Road. Only a mile or so from I68. Great cell and internet reception with AT&T. We have a 25’ travel trailer and most places we scouted we probably couldn’t take it. Site 2 looks not too bad but a little less level. Site 6 also seemed like a nice spot for a Rv. Don’t recommend taking a large travel trailer on 15 mile creek Rd south of I68. Lots of S turns and pretty steep for my skills. Loved it!

I would go back

I would go back. Our site was secluded and protected from other sites. We were very close to the state park and all activities there.

Nice quiet park

It's a nice wooded park with asphalt roads. The sites are some what close to each other but the wooded areas between the site give you a level privacy. Our site, as well as a number of others, wasn't particularly level. I parked our trailer halfway in because if I had gone all the way back I would have never gotten level. The bath houses were spotless. There are a number of water fill stations throughout the park and 1 dump station. Do follow others as well as the parks warning about coming in on Chalkhill-Ohioplye Road. Do not follow your GPS blindly. There are number of hike in the area which is why we were there.

Great campground

Big spaces to camp, private and spacious

Secluded Camping

Far enough away from the next campsite to enjoy peace and seclusion. Next to a crik for those nighttime lullabies

Great Tent Camping

Camped here this weekend. We were in a non-electric tent site. There were four of us with two tents and we reserved two sites because their website says they restrict the sites to one tent unless you’re a family then you can have two. Well they don’t really stick to this because the site next to us had seven tents spread across two sites. Walking around we saw several other sites with three and four tents. Besides that, though this was a great site. Wood and ice available for purchase. The bathhouse is a little old but not terrible. They cleaned it multiple times a day due to COVID. Plenty of great trails close to the campsite and the town of Davis nearby for some local eateries and shopping. We plan on returning!

Best Suited for Families

I grew up camping with my family at Rocky Gap every summer. The best feature of Rocky Gap is the versatility of the campgrounds. There are options for RV camping with electric, tent spots, small cabins, and the resort if you would rather have a more comfortable resort experience. Pets are allowed in a select few loops.

They have a range of activities available including a large lake to swim, fish or paddle. There are a few trails for hiking, at least 2 small “beach” areas off the lake with play grounds and a camp store. You can also go over to the casino resort for entertainment and food.

Alcohol is not permitted outside of the resort which is partly why I say this camping experience is better for families. Rangers routinely monitor the site loops and there is a quiet hours period, I believe starting at 10pm and you will have a ranger pull up on you if you do not adhere.

CAMPSITES BREAKDOWN:

Type: Gravel Vehicle Accessible: Yes Size: ~ 1 large tent or 2 compact tents. Most are the same size, fairly small spots. Bathroom: Communal bathhouses in the middle of each loop with toilets, sinks and showers. Fire pit: Yes, with grill grate. Firewood: Must buy firewood at camp store. Water access: Some, depending which part of the loop your site is located on. Electric: No unless RV camping. Alcohol Policy: Not permitted unless drinking in the Resort or a motor home. Other Features: Picnic table, small wood post counter / hook to hang a lantern on and place a camp stove on.

We stayed at the Kentuck Campsite. The sites are close to each other but we had plenty of space at the same time. The hiking trails were beautiful this time of year. Wasn’t a big fan of their restrooms, not very COVID friendly I felt and a bit outdated. That’s the only reason I give it a 4 star.

Criminal citation, for pitching tent outside of poorly delineated area

I was camping at site 109; a seemingly very small clearing, feet from the road. At one corner of this clearing is a 5 foot wide trail which leads to a larger clearing, with a large fire pit. I figured this was part of the campsite, pitched my tent there and left my car in the small initial clearing. Woke up to a police officer telling me that although he knew very well the site delineation was very ambiguous, he had no choice but to give me a citation for camping in violation of my permit, which is no less than a criminal offense in MD. Officer admitted regularly ticketing campers this way, and that his superiors didn't care to remedy.

3 stars because the rest was fantastic!

Tent only, expect trail traffic

We did not camp here, but we scoped it out for a future trip. It is tent only (or camper van) because there are barriers between your parking pad and the tent area. Also, be sure to expect a lot of traffic and parked cars and extra people because people park here to do the Big Schloss hike. The vault toilet is very clean and very well stocked with toilet paper, but you will have to share it with all the hikers.