It is a long drive to the end of Grand Isle, but you are rewarded with a nice state park with clean amenities. Large flat pull-through sites (much larger than we needed but they can accommodate large RVs). Bathrooms are among the cleanest I have ever seen in any state park. Free laundry is a nice perk but do it early (I was first at 7 am and it piled up soon after). Beach access. Not nicest beach but ok. The $25 fee does not include a $6 processing fee (only applicable for the first night) or tax. The only thing I didn’t like were the vicious mosquitoes!
This state park is located at the very tip of the Island. It is a beautiful spot that allows you to camp directly on the beach with tents and a stones throw from the beach in an RV. There are about a dozen tent sites and probably 30 RV pull through spots with water and electric hookups. The shower and bathroom are air conditioned and are very well maintained and there is even a dish washing station right outside the wash center. It is $18 a night to camp with a tent and I believe it’s $30 for a pull through spot (in the off season). Only downside to this park is that the gates close at 10 PM and if you’re not already registered to camp (with the key code for the gate) you won’t be able to camp here if you are arriving late and there are no other camp sites for tents on the island. So show up early and enjoy!
We went winter camping and fishing. It’s quite a ways from the parking lot to the beach. Camping is on the beach right on the Gulf. Sand gets everywhere. It was cold but the wind was the killer. The wind howled all night. The campground was fairly nice with tables and a fire pit. The bathrooms were far away. You were better to walk behind the thick brush and take a leak.
Beautiful is an understatement! We camped right on the beach. The beach was very clean, but the ocean was a little dirty from the flooding. Beautiful sunsets and sunrises. We saw baby dolphins and crabs. Only wish we could’ve drove up on the beach as well. Showers/bathrooms were spotless!
This is a fun campground on Lake Champlain! They have large sites, playground for kids, a boat launch and swimming spot on the lake!
- Great beach camping
- You will see lots of dolphins
- Speckled trout fishing is good
- Crabbing is great!
- It is secluded and the town is nice too, if you forget something and need to head in or just want to go grab a daquiri
- Mosquitos are insane here, get the strongest bug spray you can and you will be OK
- There is a plant nearby and industrial noises woke me up throughout the night, EVERY night. I was hoping the sound of the waves would drown it out
Great beach tent camping. Fantastic facilities including FREE laundry. Great crabbing! Just trow a chicken neck on a string and just pull them in. Unfortunately, we had a major storm on our first 2 days but we had a blast. The locals are awesome!
this is a wonderful place to go. me and my family went when they had the boat blessing and had a blast. we also did fishing and the beach.
So many ways to break this down
1. The campgrounds. RV and tent camping sites are all pull through. Not big spots, no privacy or shade … location, location, location. They all have fire pits, water and elect. Some have separate grills. The Tent only sites are on the beach. You have to carry your gear, no driving on the beach. Pick a site closer to the bath houses - there are 2. Big bath houses, plenty of showers.
2. The Park. There are 2 piers for saltwater fishing as well as a dock for inlet fishing. There are other small marshy areas to fish depending on the tide.
3. The town. Grand Isle is all about being at the end of the world and fishing. Be prepared to see cars parked along the side of the road and people fishing from any spot there is water. There is water everywhere.
We were not prepared to do serious fishing on this trip but still had a blast. We played with crabs in the inlet, put our feet in the Gulf, watched shrimp boats. There is a hiking trail, but at high tide it is flooded so you can't access it.
No matter the time of year or the wind speed - BUG SPRAY IS A NECESSITY!