The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Orell , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Orell Camping Reviews
A nice FOB

I used this location as my FOB for a weekend of hiking in southern Indiana. The campground was nice. Being the first weekend in April, the water wasn’t turned on so there were no modern restrooms/shower houses available. I’d say the camp was 30% capacity over the weekend, relatively quiet in the evenings with light road traffic. The gate staff were exceptional, suggesting a much better sight than I had registered for online.

Nice quiet lake

Nice lake with outboard motors allowed. We enjoyed the water with out listening to the motors. They are not turning on water until April 15. The campground has some nice spots with cabins and areas for people with horses. Not to big but not to small.

Great Park

One of our favorite spots to camp. Beautiful trails for hiking, great creek for swimming, close to Louisville.

A campground to come back too

Large sites. Great access to water. 30 and 50 amp hookups. Bathhouses clean and easy access to fishing, local attractions and if you do need something the staff was eager and fast to get the problem fixed. Definately a campground to keep on the revisit list..

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Another great weekend camp!

A relaxing weekend well spent. My husband and I have been to Lake Celina for a day hike before, so when planning where to go for a weekend of car camping choosing this place was a no brainer. Lots of different kinds of campgrounds depending on your preference. If you’re the kind who wanna socialize or in a large group who needs a campground within eyeshot, south loop is more for your taste. There’s lots of RVs parked, people chatting,laid back drinking beer just having a good time! My husband and I wanted a secluded quite camp as we also have our pup who gets a little too excited around strangers and other dogs. We got that in #7 camp in north loop. We felt like we own the place!

Floating cabins!

A large group of us rented two of the floating cabins and it was a blast. Plenty of space for sleeping with a kitchen and modern facilities. The boating and fishing are pretty good as well.

Weekend away

It was a good enough trip. Staff was friendly. The only spot available was in the equine section, we set up there. Those spots are too close together. There was a group next to us that was really loud and foul mouthed late into the evening. Lake can be enjoyed if you have a boat or rent one, not much shoreline accessibility.

First time camping

Stayed in D04. Had 30 amp plus 20 amp hookups. Picnic table. 15 pieces of firewood for 5 plus tax. Friends stayed in the chickadee cabin and d03. Neat cabins all wood with Portable AC.

A few hikes. Horse camping so was cool to see the horses. A beach location and a few fishing spots.

The lake doesn’t allow non electric motors so waters were calm. Caught some bluegills.

Public restrooms and showers.

Ice in the area cheapest at the truck stops and gas stations 2 10lbs for 5 bucks.

Would stop again if in the area.