The best BOAT IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Creekmore Camping Reviews
Great Spot on Norris Lake

Loyston Point is a great campground on Norris Lake, which is known as one of the nicest lakes around. The campground has multiple lakefront sites, as well as lake view, and several wooded sites, if you are looking for more seclusion. There’s also some small cabins. Something for everyone here!

One thing to be aware of- not all the sites have a water spigot, several spots have a shared spigot, so he sure you have a really long hose if you are camping in an rv. I was in site 50, and was in between the spigots, so I’m not sure my hose would have reached if I were in my camper. Other than that, the campground is amazing. Bathhouses were extremely clean and maintained. Sites were spacious, lots of trees, even on the lakefront sites. Just beautiful.

This area is big for mountain biking also. There’s a parking lot with restrooms and I can almost guarantee it will be full of MTB riders. So much to do here all year round.

Best for Mtn biking

Can’t beat the biking, hiking and water sports! Clean and nice showers. Steps from biking. We stayed at a site right on the water. Not super private but the area and activities make up for the lack of privacy. And whatever you do make sure you visit the Clinch River Brewery just a short drive away.

Lots to see!

We stayed at the main area but not much space or privacy so we put up a tent out side our door, but then moved to the tent camping site area the second night which was more secluded and private, but still close to the showers/bath house. So much hiking and a cool view of the dam is all within walking distance. Nice bath rooms and showers too.

Some of the best camping in the Southeast

Big South Fork is the perfect place for the outdoor enthusiast. Literally anything you want to do, you can find it here- horseback riding, ATV riding, hiking, biking, rock climbing, kayaking, backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting, swimming… I could go on, but you get the point. I have spent a lot of time here, and it’s at the top of my list for places in the Southeast. The Big South Fork river is some of the best smallmouth fishing around. I love the backcountry camping in BSF, it’s so peaceful, and beautiful. There are several campsites that people have made stone firepits and log/rock seating, it has the feel of the AT without as many people. The Burnt Mill area is awesome, but the hike can be challenging, but it is so worth it. You can find a great backcountry site off of nearly every trail in there. I love to stop by a local staple for a good cheeseburger basket and a milkshake at Flonnies Drive In on the corner of hwy 63 and hwy 27, if you get the chance, treat yourself!

Lakefront Camping

Loyston Point is a really nice campground right on Norri Lake. There is not a bad site in the whole campground. Most sites have a lake view and the ones that don't are heavily wooded and spacious. I stayed here in November, and the water was low, but it was still a spectacular sunrise. The area is very popular for mountain biking, no matter when you visit, the trailhead lot will likely be full. The lake is probably the cleanest and nicest around, so if you visit in warmer months you will be glad to have access to it. There is a camp store, and I saw at least two bathhouses. The one that was near our site was clean and heated. The sites are all extremely spacious, and many have good trees for hammocks. The sites have shared water hookups, so if you are in an RV, you should be sure to have an extra-long water hose. There are some small cabins for rent here too. I highly recommend this place for lake camping.

Much improved

I visited Pulaski County Park several years ago and it was okay. They have made several improvements since then and it is a lot better. The campground is spread across the hills and “bays” of the park. Not crowded right now and the water is WAY down. There is the hilltop “parking lot” pull throughs , the largest part of the campground spread across the knoll , to include water front sites and primitive sites across the road in the trees, also some water front sites. The trails are varied and pretty cool. They twist and turn and cross creeks and hill tops. I won’t say their easy to navigate but it’s doable if you pay attention to the names and direction your going. They are all mountain bike oriented and a few are challenging. The layout of the park is also confusing at times. I’ve been there several times and just recently found another parking area and trailhead. I’m surprised they don’t have a tree top trail or zip line, might be in future plans. The disc golf will take you on quite a hike and to another parking lot and trailhead totally outside the park. And of course there is the water sports/ recreation. I wouldn’t travel from across the country to visit this park, however it is a nice local place to spend a family week/end or just relax.

Backcountry-Dark Hollow West

I’ve stayed at this site a couple times now and I love the location. The site is a short and easy hike (under 2 miles) from the parking lot via the Lake Trail to the Dark Hollow Trail. The site is tucked off the trail and has access to a stream that is directly across from the site entrance. I’ve also finished the trip by hiking the loop back out by continuing on Dark Hollow to Big Valley Trail, to Ghost House Trail and back to Lake Trail (5.3 miles total). These sections of the trails are easy to moderate.

Out in the middle of nowhere

Blue Heron Campground in Big South Fork National Park is part of Daniel Boone National Forest, one of my favorite places to explore. Blue Heron CG is on the road to the VERY COOL mining village which is now privately owned and the historical mining operation at the bottom of the hill. Blue Heron CG is small which makes it that much better. The sites are level and pretty well spaced out. The showerhouse is not new but the whole place is very well maintained. There is an overlook and trail access nearby or you can drive down to the Historic mining operation with tipple and boat ramp as well as trailheads. Stearns, Ky is nearby and the historic railway that traverses the same area to the bottom of the hill through the village. So much to do in this area!

Centrally located

Corbin n/Laurel Lake KOA

First! Do not trust your navigation. Once you get off the interstate look for the KOA signs. Your navigation will take you in a completely different direction for some reason.

This was my second time staying at the Corbin/Laurel lake KOA. The best thing about it as far as I can see is it is centrally located to several state parks. It is also on the edge of Corbin south area plenty of amenities nearby. The interstate is also very nearby which adds some pros and cons; pro easy access for traveling; con constant white noise.

This is an older KOA. Very well-maintained they are in the process of adding more spaces towards the back. When they are allowed to open it they have a swimming pool there is also a small campground kitchen near the office.

This is one of the first KOA‘s I’ve been to that has good Wi-Fi. I could actually live stream. I have not been able to do that in any other KOA this trip.

Lovely, quiet campground

We spent the last weekend of October at Blue Heron and can't wait to go back! This small campground is easily navigable even with our 40' 5th wheel in tow and provides spacious, private sites. Access is easy with no bad roads nor overhanging trees. There is fantastic hiking nearby and much peace and quiet to be enjoyed!