Annville, KENTUCKY
Most Recent Annville Camping Reviews
Dirtbag Climber Mecca and Heartbeat of Community in RRG

"You haven't been to Red River Gorge if you haven't been to Miguel's." -- Actual words from a local.

Miguel's is a climber's mecca. Camping is primitive, but a big shower hall with a number of stalls, and covered areas for cooking offers all the amenities a "dirtbag," climber could need. It's a great place to hang with a network of passionate climbers.

Miguel's pizza is It's damn good pizza, by any standards. It's also open every day of the week, unlike other restaurants in the area which usually operate Thursday-Sunday when visitors are at their peak. Miguel's coffee, breakfast burritos, and sweet potato pancakes are also incredible and affordable.

A comprehensive rock climbing gear shop is on-premise if you follow the path around back to the basement of the house at the bottom of the hill. An array of clothes, climbing shoes, chalk and climbing gear will have you covered for whatever route you decide to do.

A lot of climbing routes give directions starting from Miguel's, which tells you what a central point it is for the climbing industry here.

Great getaway

Pine Mountain State Resort Park offers some really cool trails and is Kentucky first state park. Pretty rustic and clean cabins. One really cool feature is Chained Rock which is a giant bolder that is tethered to the mountain to protect the small town below in case it falls.

Great Overnight Stop

This is a great overnight stop for us.  They have complete full utility hook ups, Wi-Fi and you can walk to several restaurants and mini mart.  The mini mart also has diesel.  Easy on and off to and from I-75 at Exit 41 at London KY.

Nice!

This is a very nice park. There were lots of activities going on the weekend we were there. Playground was really good. Many of the sites were small. They had about 30 sites that have sewage. The rest of the sites had electric and water. There were tent sites also. The bath house was nice and clean. The staff was super friendly. There is miniature golf and a small store on site. There is a walking trail trough the woods to Ft Boonesboro (a recreation of the original fort). Unfortunately it was a wet rainy weekend when we went, so we didn’t get to tour the fort. We would definitely go back.

Good camp area

Good and clean campground with boat ramp, bath house, playground, picnic areas. Nice shady campsites, great views of beautiful Lake Cumberland. Good family place.

Good camp ground

My family and I have camped here most of my life. There has been lots of improvements to the camp ground. There is also several shelters you can rent for different events. There are hiking trails near the entrance of the camp. There is several different types of camp areas ranging from primitive to cabins. There are several play ground areas close by for the kids to play. You can bring your boats along and put them in right there they have 2 different ramps on either side of the camp ground. The only thing I would add is another bath house at the lower end of the camp areas. Something for everyone.

Lee County Gem

Cabins, tent camping and rv sites hosts the annual Whippoorwill earth skills festival as well as many climbers visiting the nearby Red River Gorge.

Home away from home

This place speaks to your soul. River side tent sites on a shaded, sandy river bank. Reserve online, go straight to camping!! Self serve, no fuss. Fire rings provided. Local guy delivers firewood to your site with one call!! Trails, canoe, kayak, swim, fish, relax. Great time to be had here. Affordable!!!

Great Campground in a great National Forest!

Holly Bay is a great campground in the beautiful, but not very well known Daniel Boone National Forest. The campsites are semi-private with a fire ring, electricity, water (at each campsite), lantern pole, bathrooms and bath house. The campground is also on a lake with several good hiking trails around. I highly recommend it this campground!

Beautiful and Busy

The park is a gem and the Natural Bridge is something you need to experience. I go every year but I won't take the little ones onto the bridge.  It is easy to fall if you are not paying attention. For my friends that can hike a short distance we will also take the chair lift up or down. You can do both.  It really depends on the weather and the trail as to how we tackle the trail. The chair lift is a small fee and well worth the view.

Cell phone signals are hit and miss down here so make sure you have a clean plan for connecting with folks prior to parting ways.

Best place in the area!

Great campsite! Sites not to closely packed next to each other. Can find your peace within a well maintained campground! Many trails easily accessible from the campground. The trails within the forest connect very well together and are very well maintained and marked! Can easily make a big loop and see many beautiful arches! Went on a 3 week road trip through this area and this spot was hands down my favorite! So many things to see and do and this campground was a great home base! And the host is so amazing and helpful!

Clean and well managed

The main campground has a lot of camp sites very close together with a central restroom with running water. There are two secluded camp sites and a walk in site with no running water at either facility. The camp ground is very clean and well managed. All sites are very close to some sort of hiking trails. It is centrally located to other trails that are about a 15 minute drive away.

Peaceful and Quiet

Stayed mid-week so it wasn’t crowded. Everyone was spaced out thru the campground and we never heard a sound from the other campers. Hiked the Cliff, Silvermine Arch and Hidden Arch Trails which all start from KRC. We’ll definitely stay here again!

Awesome experience for a kayak.

My first experience to a boat in and did it all on my own! My boat was my kayak. I parked at the Grove marina and packed all I could on my kayak and headed to the sites. This was a pretty decent paddle away and I waited til too late to get there. It was dark once I set up but an awesome could helped me with fire wood and had a nice talk around their campfire. Beautiful area. Very busy on labor day weekend!!

There are vault toilets but no showers.

Quiet secluded campground

Love this place, will be returning in the future. We stayed a week and only saw three other campers and no one with in 100 yards of our campsite. All the sites had a fire pit and I believe tables at the sites. They close the gates at night and don’t open the gates till 8 am was the only drawback. The gate adds to the security of the campground I liked that they control coming and going at night times.

A nice campground for families and rock climbers!

This big campground is a hidden gem near Red River Gorge. The road getting to the campsite is mostly one lane so is you are in an RV, go slow. The area for RV's is a little tight in the trees and probably won't accommodate an extremely large vehicle. However, there is a huge open field on further into the camp that should be fairly easy to turn around in. The huge field is available for tent campers, but these are primitive sites with no water/electricity. The improved sites with water/electricity are closer to The Pavilion and Shake Out Lounge. The Pavilion is a great place to gather and talk with friends or enjoy the big campfire next to it. The Shake Out Lounge has a tv, free wifi and free books to borrow. There is a bathhouse with toilets and showers. There are 2 locations to obtain firewood on the campground. They also sell ice. There is not a store on site, but a short drive up the road there is a general & grocery store that also sells fresh made sandwiches. There are cabins to rent. The cabins are tucked in the trees and are very cozy. The cabin we stayed in on one of our visits, had a queen bed, kitchen area and bathroom with a shower. Plenty of trees to hang a hammock, as well. Some of the cabins overlook the beautiful lake. The lake is perfect for swimming in and has a dock and life jackets for campers use. The gravel/dirt road getting to the lake is steep, so I recommend walking down to the lake. Fishing is allowed with a permit in the lake. There are hiking trails and dogs are welcome at the campground. Overall, a great campground for individuals, friends and families.

Nic (but tight!) Campground

Beautiful area. Campsites are tight! Had trouble backing in our 32’ bumper pull. Close to the Natural Bridge trail and multiple SUP Kentucky sites.

Great for boating!

Great beach access. Quite and very clean.

Friendly Campground on the KY River

My husband and I stayed there for 8 months through the fall and winter of 2018 into the spring of 2019. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They have really worked hard to bring this campground back to a place you would like to stay. There are several who are residents there and are very nice as well. They do have camper storage at the top of the property which does have some older, broken-down looking units but also some very nice ones too. Full hook-ups for $395/mo if you are staying monthly. The only down-side to the stay was the husband of the couple that own it. He isn't very friendly at all. Our first night there, the electric went out at our pole and he kept trying to blame it on our RV when it turned out it was the main breaker for our line of electric poles and was his issue. He never apologized and was not nice at all. Any time he is there(which is very rarely) he is just an unhappy person. His wife is wonderful as are all the regular staff. I wouldn't let him keep you from staying there as he is not there normally but just know that his demeanor isn't the best. We have 4 dogs and they were very welcomed by everyone. The pool is nice although they do sell memberships to it for outside folks to use which means there can be a lot of people there on a holiday or very warm day. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and we would definitely stay there again if need be.

Great Campground

Nice COE campground. Plenty of trees . Clean and quiet

Great Campground

Fishing Creek Campground is an very nice campground. Located on the Fishing Creek portion of Lake Cumberland. This is a Corp of Engineers facility. Well maintained and shady. Lots of trees. Both RV and primitive camping. Playground, bath house and boat ramp are available. Some sites have a lake view. This is a nice quiet place to stay.

Great Place

I have camped at this campground for over 58 years. It has been improved over the years and still needs work. More RV sites have been added. More are needed. Great place to go camping and priced well.

Not just a campground

Great place to visit. We go there a lot with friends and family. A lot of sightseeing.

Great little state park

Try to stay in the front area if possible. Some of the sites in the back get muddy if it rains. Stay clear of site 13 & 15 as they tend to flood. All others are great.

Not for us!

Too much road noice. Area is low and when it rains the camping area and wet for days.

The place to stay in the Gorge

Always a great place to plot your adventure.

Not Good

Stayed at Middle Fork Oct 25, 26, 27 (Thu, Fri, Sat) although we were forced to pay for Sunday too because it was some kind of special weekend having to do with Halloween. IMO this is just a BS way to make more money. The majority of people who do the whole trick or treat and Halloween stuff, do it for kids, and those people most likely have to leave on Sun to go back home for school on Mon. So why be forced to pay for Sunday night?!
Our water spigot sprayed water everywhere when our hose was hooked up. They sent a plumber over who tried to fix it with a wrench and a propane torch which didn't help at all. Fortunately we had no neighbors so we hooked to the other sites spigot. It sprayed too. The next day the campground turned off all the water to the campground, brought in an excavator and were excavating a broken pipe elsewhere in the campground. They didn't bother to let anyone know they were turning off the water, there were probably 5 campers in the entire campground. I wonder if they are aware that if a hot water heater runs out of water, but the heating element stays on, that it can destroy the element?? Fortunately we were there when we ran out of water and turned our water heater off.
The light. The damn 30,000 watt LED security light that lights up the night like a spaceship coming in for a landing, 10 feet behind our site. Forget having the cozy campfire experience, it's like sitting in daylight when that sucker is blasting down on you. The dump station. You have to park your camper on the wrong side of the road, facing uphill into on-coming traffic to dump your tanks, the water spigot to hook up and flush your tanks wasn't working so no water. The girl working at the check-in booth was clueless, saying she "didn't know nuthin about it". And didn't offer to pick up the phone and find out if there was a way to turn the water on. In addition, because we were parked facing uphill our gray water tank wouldn't dump at all. We had to stop at another campground on our way home and pay to dump and flush our tanks.
Overall, this campground was a negative experience and we will not be back.

Awesome campground for climbers

Miguel’s is a great place to camp if you are climbing in the Red River Gorge. I have stayed here many times and really enjoy it. Great campground with awesome people. It offers so many things such as a basketball court, quite heated areas, covered cooking, bathrooms, etc. I highly recommend if your in the area.

Best family trips every year

Myself and my family have traveled to this campground for as long as I can remember. Have many great memories and loved the trails to the amphitheatres to over look the cliffs. Plus one of them we have our initials carved into the rock. Best memories I have.

Beautiful and perfectly secluded yet safe

I have only camped here once, but when I did it was an awesome experience! We felt safe but we also felt secluded, as one usually prefers to be while camping for only one night. Amazing stargazing and mountain views not too far away, and not too difficult to find the sites. Would most definitely do it again!