The best BOAT IN camping near
St. John , INDIANA

Most Recent St. John Camping Reviews
Weekend Camping with lots of activities

For years, this was our go-to campground for weekend nearby adventures. Over the years, the price has increased and at $30 per site for non-residents, it's a bit steep for tent camping for me (so I left off a star rating). All sites are electric, so if you are tent camping and want your fan or slow-cooker, then it's as good as it gets in the burbs. It's located in a beautiful wooded Dupage County Forest preserve. While the sites are pretty close together, there are a few good ones that feel more secluded. Designated chip bark tent sites are level. The grounds are very well maintained. While I didn't camp here this year, I took these photos the last weekend in October to give everyone a sense of how nice this campground could be for them. My favorite sites over the years were the ones closest to Silver Lake along the South Loop road because those sites have the best views. For privacy, my favorite site is #27 on the north loop road which makes you feel like you are alone in the woods. Other than plenty of hiking options including a big hill, the fishing is outstanding. There are lots of places along the lake and ponds to get an easy catch and release. There is also archery, a dog park, picnic areas, boat rental/ramp, and a compass course. It is a great place for families. I've brought cub scouts here and my kids' friends. Heads-up that sites 21 & 22 may not be able to see traffic on the busy Winfield Rd in the summer, but you will still hear it at those sites.

Good options for urban camping

If you want to try camping in the Chicagoland area without traveling far afield, you could do worse. Most of the sites have a chip pad for tents and concrete for the vehicle. Site 20 is turf and nicely secluded. Most of the sites are partial shade. County park district runs it and the fees are kinda steep, 20 res/30 non-res

Very little shade, but great mountain bike trails

We stayed here for two nights recently. This is our second time staying at this campground…we also stayed here in 2019. Our camp site was #2. For the most part, all of the 30/50 amp sites are very similar. Can't really say one appears to be better than the rest. Sites # 4 and 5 probably have the longest length parking pad. I believe this is a relatively newer campground. There is NO shade during the day. None at all due to the trees within the campground being small. There are two bath/shower houses. I would rate them at a 4/5…not the best we've seen, but by far not the worst. Our son was playing in a youth hockey tournament nearby so the location was perfect for us. We aren't huge into bike trails, but we did bring our bikes after I read about the trail systems. The mountain bike trails were awesome. If you're a trail rider, you must stay here. The lack of shade won't matter because you'll be riding all day. There are miles and miles of trails. We saw several vehicles carrying top of the line bikes in and out all day. We had a blast riding our bikes.

I'm giving Camp Bullfrog Lake 4 out of 5 stars. The lack of shade trees and the high cost per night took away the fifth star. We paid $122.00 for two nights.

Awesome campground

Had a great time in a large cabin with my wife, son, great buddy, his wife, and son. Perfect for family camping. And I'm handicapped and the bathroom was wonderful. I used to be in a wheelchair and that bathroom was the best handicapped broom I was ever in. A lot of room astound the John and a great open shower. No tub. You can shower in a wheelchair! Great fishing and the fire pit at night just topped it off. After the covid scare has passed, I'm heading there. And there's fishing boats at maple lake.

Great!

Great enviorment

Amazing views, great quick getaway from Chicago

This campground was easy peasy and had an incredible view of the lake. We were right there on the lake. We went in September so I'm not sure how it would be in the summer since there is little to no cover.

There was nice hiking and we were able to get out into the woods for a while. My friend and I were surprised that such a nice place is so close to Chicago. There is a dock and the campground had good access to water, sink, and a nice bathroom. Lots of families were there when we went. Overall would recommend.

Fantastic car camping close to Chicago

Great site, not far from Chicago, but feels well away from city life.

Tent sites around rim of a lake. RV sites and cabins as well.

Beautiful forest surrounds the lake, lots of hiking in the surrounding enormous forest preserve. Lake has fishing and boats as well.

Great Camping and Trail Access

We’ve camped here a few times and it is always a great experience. Each site comes with a free bundle of oak firewood which is nice to use on the fire pits.

What’s great about this location is the access to the miles and mile of MTB and hiking trails just out the front step of your campsite.

We live 15 minutes away so like to take midweek camping trips to break up the work week.

Simple, River fun

Small and hidden right on the Illinois River. Received a free night of camping with a whole day of kayaking which is absolutely recommended. Not much to do here except camp and kayak but I will be going back.

morning time

morning breakfast after the glampout night provided by the staff good food and quite environment