Hewittville , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Hewittville Camping Reviews
Fantastic backcountry sites

Short walk from the parking lot if carrying heavy gear, but still spaced out enough to feel isolated. Vault toilets right at the parking lot as well. Next to a big grassy area and hill for group games

Loved camping here

I camped here in a tent before we had an rv. The primitive sites were perfectly quiet and away from others. Toilet was close and so was parking. I kind of miss tent camping!!!

Home!!!

We have a permanent lake lot here. The marina is small and basic. Actually everything is basic here but it's still great to have 10 minutes from home.

Beautifully quiet

i have been struggling with my life and went out here with someone trying to help me and had never heard of this place and we loved it.

We were the only ones there and I really don't have any negative thoughts about it..I was a bit bothered by one of the on site toilets..but it is like that in most campgrounds but thats it.

The price to tent/rv camp was 8 bucks

Cheapest we ever been to and we camp a lot.

We didn't take the rv just used a tent but I believe any spot there would have worked for our rv.have a 28 foot class a.

Only one spot had electric.

This place is a beautiful secret and I will be going back rv or tent .

I loved it.

Our Home Away From Home

It's not anything fancy but it has the basics.

Perfect

Best campground hands down mellow and friendly

Crazy Convenient Overnight Spot

This place was a godsend. I called frantically searching for a space in late November and was greeted by a lovely person who got me all set up over the phone. She had me call as I was approaching and came down and met me at the office to check me in. It had water (with defroster on the podium), sewer and functional electric. Unfortunately the weather was garbage and I didn’t get to explore the lake but it was a great experience none the less.

Beautiful park

Had a nice site on loop by the lake, but not on the lake. A short walk downhill though the trees. We were able to tie up our canoe there once we launched it by the concession stand. Facilities were clean and fairly spacious. The trails were lovely but the best part was watching the hummingbirds at the north, marshy end of the lake. We sat and were amazed at how many there were. Also nice is the old schoolhouse museum and the friendly volunteers there. The history of the park is fascinating, many famous historical people once came to the site when it was a Chataqua. Canoeing on the lake is great, and many people were out fishing. Nearby Clinton is an interesting historic town.

Great Stop-off

We stopped here on our way home for one night, but got in early enough to enjoy a walk and have a camp fire that evening. Small park but very long, narrow pull through sites on the full hook up side, there were some smaller water/electric sites that looked to be more of a parking lot that sites, but well spaced out and adequate. The camp host was very friendly and the camp store was well stocked.

Perfect stop!

Barb and Gary were the most accommodating hosts! We had called 2 hours out, on our way from Ohio to Arkansas, and they met our every need; even on such short notice! Perfect stop off of I70. Beautiful walking paths, convenient, great pricing. They filled us up on LP too. Thanks again, Barb and Gary!