The best BOAT IN camping near
Hewittville , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Hewittville Camping Reviews
Very nice facility

Have stayed here numerous times. Always very clean. We have only stayed in the electric only sites as the full hookup sites are hard to come by. Very quiet at night and depending on your site, there are nice views of the summer sky. Some camping areas are more wooded than others and those also seem to fill up fast. We’ll be making a couple of trips here this summer.

Fantastic backcountry sites

Short walk from the parking lot if carrying heavy gear, but still spaced out enough to feel isolated. Vault toilets right at the parking lot as well. Next to a big grassy area and hill for group games

Good stop over

The campground is fairly small. They appeared to have all gravel sites with minimal grass. There are fire rings by request. The sites are fairly tight. Couldn’t erect our screen house even if we wanted to. The staff was friendly and informative. They guided us to our site which was good, I never would have found my site without their help. Like I said, all gravel without clear markings or signage. I might use this place again but only as a one night stop over.

Huge lake, nice camping

Camped here in a tent. Loved it. Raccoons are really brave and ate not afraid of humans. They know how to rip open a tent for food. Nothing is safe here. But a beautiful lake and campground.

Loved camping here

I camped here in a tent before we had an rv. The primitive sites were perfectly quiet and away from others. Toilet was close and so was parking. I kind of miss tent camping!!!

Perfect

Best campground hands down mellow and friendly

Crazy Convenient Overnight Spot

This place was a godsend. I called frantically searching for a space in late November and was greeted by a lovely person who got me all set up over the phone. She had me call as I was approaching and came down and met me at the office to check me in. It had water (with defroster on the podium), sewer and functional electric. Unfortunately the weather was garbage and I didn’t get to explore the lake but it was a great experience none the less.

Beautiful park

Had a nice site on loop by the lake, but not on the lake. A short walk downhill though the trees. We were able to tie up our canoe there once we launched it by the concession stand. Facilities were clean and fairly spacious. The trails were lovely but the best part was watching the hummingbirds at the north, marshy end of the lake. We sat and were amazed at how many there were. Also nice is the old schoolhouse museum and the friendly volunteers there. The history of the park is fascinating, many famous historical people once came to the site when it was a Chataqua. Canoeing on the lake is great, and many people were out fishing. Nearby Clinton is an interesting historic town.

Great Stop-off

We stopped here on our way home for one night, but got in early enough to enjoy a walk and have a camp fire that evening. Small park but very long, narrow pull through sites on the full hook up side, there were some smaller water/electric sites that looked to be more of a parking lot that sites, but well spaced out and adequate. The camp host was very friendly and the camp store was well stocked.

Great Fall Weekend at Coon Creek

We spent the weekend at Coon Creek and had a great time.  I enjoyed our Site #14.  There was a path behind our site that led to a private "beach". Brought my camp chair down the path, and enjoyed my coffee enjoying the lake view while my kiddos were hunting for more frogs.  There are flushing toilets, but weren't that great to me… doors wouldn't lock and there were no soap dispensers. Other than that we really enjoyed our stay.