Alton, ILLINOIS
Most Recent Alton Camping Reviews
Great site to camp if you want to get off the beaten path

You can boat in along the Missouri river or hike in. The spots have amazing views of the river and challenging hikes as you progress from the river bottoms to the bluffs along the river. I would highly recommend bringing bug spray. Pets are allowed.

Not my favorite campsites

We stayed in the full hookups. It’s a very uneven gravel pad to start with. The campfire sits right next to the camper and the sites are very close together. So the sites are far from glamorous. But there were two close by trails that were very nice. They had offered a class about Mo snakes and a class on how to build fire with flint that our kids really enjoyed. We didn’t make it to the beach because we enjoyed the creek so much. The kids loved using the net to catch small fish and crawdads, throwing rocks and playing in the water. It was fun to explore. So 3 stars cause the campsites were not great but lots of fun to be had on the actual campgrounds! We will still be going back.

Great place to camp and kayak in the city

We love going here and watching the sunsets. This is a great place to kayak and camp if you don’t want to drive that fare and live in the city.

Nice quite campground

We stayed here for a weeksatellite at the end of June. Spaces are tight but the overall camp ground is decent. Nice pool and an arcade area with plenty of room to hangout inside. There is a pond with some decent sized fish in it. A lot of the campground has good tree coverage but if in the right spot you would still be able to use tv.

Beautiful park with everything you need!

This is a perfect place to enjoy with the family. Plenty of gorgeous campsites and a lake to swim and kayak! And if you need a place to camp with your horse they have an entire equestrian section. Close to St. Louis but far enough out to enjoy peace and quiet!

Great experience!

Big things happening at Country Bend Campgrounds in Montrgromy Co, IL. This beautiful campground has many things to offer and is only a few minutes from the local drive in movie theater in Litchfield Illinois. It has a pool, swing sets, playground, cabins, ponds with stocked fish, beautiful walking trails, camping, welcome center, baseball field, volleyball, games, horseshoes, paddle boats, miniature golf, and so much more. This family run business is under new management and is welcoming new seasonal campers and day campers with competitive pricing. This beautiful campground is nestled in a scenic area in the country and is pet friendly. It has clean shower houses with warm water. We just purchased our seasonal campsite earlier in the season. Come check out this amazing campground and all it has to offer! Our rough collies will be joining us at this dog friendly campground! There is always something to do here and the owners strive to make it a family place by providing many activities on the weekends. The owners have done an amazing job on this campground and have made it one of the best campgrounds around to create that lasting experience with our children before they grow up!!!

Clean, Friendly Campground

We stayed there July 4th weekend we had a great time.  Everyone was friendly they had many activities plus a swimming pool, putt putt golf, paddle boats and fishing.  It rained our 1st night there we had a big mud hole asked if there was anyway to get rock and they brought rick to get it dry for us.  Already booked our next weekend there.  Can’t wait to see how the improve the campground.

Spacious

Primitive tent camping area is very spacious but bathrooms were dirty and gross.  The women’s bathroom near T3 didn’t have toilet paper the entire three days we stayed there.  I drove to other restrooms while we stayed there.   Shower house was nice, with one small shower stall and large ADA shower stall.  Camp host was friendly and helpful. The campground is just a few minutes from Carlinville Walmart and restaurants.

Family Fun Campground

Activities, entertainment and friendly. Small pool and bathhouse could use some attention.

Interesting short stop

This place has a lot of permanent campers on site. Very friendly crowd though

A fine place to stay :)

This was a nice KOA campground for our single overnight. Many activities available right at the campground - plus a nice pool and good size sites with plenty of shade. Eureka is a nice town with everything you’ll need as far as food and supplies. Six Flags close by, but travel time to St. Louis was a little more than we anticipated (this wouldn’t be my first choice if the Arch and riverfront are primary destinations).

Lots to do

There is lots to do at this park. There is a pool, bike rentals, dog park, movie night, basketball court, and more. You can bring your RV, travel trailer, tent camp, or stay in a cabin. Most of the sites are in the shade and are fairly level. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained. They have Ele/water and Ele/water/sewer sites. It is close to train tracks, but I only heard the train once at night. It’s close to Six Flags, shopping, and restaurants. They even have a cute caboose cabin you can stay in.

Nice and close by

The showers house needs some help. But the camp sites felt secluded. The dump station was a little broke down and the camp hosts had two big dogs that never stopped barking.

Campgrounds close to Pere Marquette Lodge. Is located just north of Grafton that has many food and drink and antique shops. Campground is on the Illinois River with the Mississippi River nearby. Park has a boat launch and harbor.  Campground has electric only and has a dump station. Most sites are spacious. Sites can be reserved on Reserve America.

We camp here every summer!

We love Lake Carlyle and Dam West is a great place to camp. CLEAN (and air conditioned) bath houses. The sites are beautiful and well maintained! Great place to bike, hike, and swim at the beach. Close to Wal-Mart and McDonalds!! 😉

This is a great park!

Only about a hour northwest of St. Louis. This is a great park to go to without driving for hours. There is plenty of nature to enjoy! There is a lake for swimming. There is also several nice hikes.

In St. Louis County but with a country feel!

This park is really nice and has been redone with in the last 10 years maybe less. If you want to camp and enjoy nature without driving forever this is a good park.

This park is perfect for hiking and bring the bikes along for the kids and even yourselves. My kids loved going here when they were young because it was just simple, uncomplicated camping and they weren't trapped in the car for hours to get here.

Nice park!

This is a very nice park. The spaces are a bit close together and not many trees but I've been to worse. The not many trees is do to it still being a fairly new campground. The lake is nice and they have some spots close to it. The only real complaint was that it was a bit of a wind tunnel. I don't know if that is because of were it sits between the river/lake and a levee for the river or because it was spring time and windy anyway.

There is a lot to do here. They have an archery range. The rent out peddle boats, bikes and peddle cars/buggies as well. We rented a peddle buggy. Those are a lot harder to get moving then they look. Awesome workout for the whole family!

Very nice

Right next to Carlyle Lake. Clean campground with electric sites only. Reservations available on line at Reserve America.

Beautiful State Park

A state park with FULL Hook-ups!  Cuivre River state park is a nice hidden treasure for a weekend getaway from St. Louis.  Great trails to hike and a sandy beach to dip in for a quick swim.  Did I mention full hook-ups in a state park.  It would make a great return place for a weekend in the fall to see the colors as the trees turn.  I would highly suggest getting a screen house to enjoy the evenings outdoors to keep the gnats and mosquitos away.

Our Favorite Campground!!!

We have been visiting this campground for 4 years! The campground has it all. Full hookups, reservable sites, walk up sites, and all sites are large! Full hookup sites are booked solid so make sure you go online 6 months out or you are out of luck. The campground is perfect for taking long walks and bike riding.
There are two swimming pools close by but none in the campground.
This is a COE campground and takes our senior pass. This is, by far, one of the nicest campgrounds we have been to and we are so fortunate that it’s so close to home.

Clean, trains, slow wifi

We stayed in a tent spot… Had shade and a nice concrete pad to park on. Good clean power. Clean bathrooms and pool looked like it was taken care of.

Tent spots have Charcoal grills, table and benches, and a nice metal cover to sit under if it rains.

It's not in the prettiest location, very industrial and the train tracks run close. First night one came through blowing its horns around 5am.

Spent the day in Forest park, a much prettier place to park and explore.

First come first serve!

This is an ACOE so it is inexpensive and clean😊. There's lots of shade, level lots and waterfront sites. Though there is no water access on each site, it's not far from anyone. Tents are permitted on grass, which you will want to do because the pads have a large gravel on them. Sites are not reservable and campground has been crowded the entire time I have been here. Two weeks is the maximum stay. And it is enforced. [$18 per night]. They do accept America the beautiful pass.

Squatters

Ranger Pioneer Mission Ranger and Product Review : RovR RollR 60 at Contryside Escape Worden, Il

Campground Review: I picked Contryside Escape https://www.hipcamp.com/illinois/grove-on-top-possum-hill/contryside-escape from the Illinois Pioneer List. The reservation was done through Hipcamp https://www.hipcamp.com/ which was fairly easy. Though in some cases you have to write something about yourself and be approved by the Host. Reminds me of a B&B but BYOT. The Host , was very accommodating and showed me the entire area as I was the only one camping and had my pick of the area. There is a secluded area on the backside of the pond near the road however I decided on a more open area under some of the trees because there was weather coming in. The host suggested I pull my truck in so I wouldn’t need to carry all my things in. Did I mention your camping around a pond?! Pro: sound#5 on your wave machine “croaking, chirping frogs” (bring ear plugs ;) Con: MOSQUITOES! Don’t forget your bug spray ! So basically your camping in the hosts front yard, to use the necessary you have to go in the house. The door was left unlocked, (I knocked every time and then entered) up the stairs , down the dark hallway (sorta scary movie-ish) and feel around for the light switch in the bathroom. Clean bathroom , HOT water, I would not take a shower , that’s just me and my creepy factor. (I’m not saying that the host or house is creepy I’m saying I make stuff creepy with my over imaginative mind.) The fence around the camping area is not complete , if your dogs mind they can be off leash. First night sounded like there was a shooting range nearby, and frogs . I visited St Louis ( about 30 minute drive) the next day and returned to sit in the shade and relax…….Once again , your in a front yard and there is a neighbor right there. I think he was working on a motor and then his mower. So not much peace and quiet until almost sundown. It was comfortable weather and enjoyable all the same. Second night coyotes nearby, and frogs. No picnic tables. Lawn chairs and a big fire area plus fire ring in the secluded area.$5 for a rick?? of wood. I would visit again with friends next time. No good State Parks nearby, you would need to travel over an hour.

Product Review: RovR https://rovrproducts.com/ I do like my RollR 60. LOVE the color and look. The add-on’s are pretty spectacular for convenience. There’s a cool selection of foldable box’s which I picked for an add-on. Now all that said, the price is a bit exuberant in my opinion. Compared to like coolers it’s about the same price range. I packed some ice the night before I left to pre-cool the cooler. Some melt but not bad. I packed the food and a cold pack and had room to spare. Cool feature is a “dry box” so any melt doesn’t saturate anything. The RovR is heavy before you pack it so the wheels are definitely a plus. The RovR rode in the truck so the temperature was kept moderate until we arrived. Once at the campsite it sat out , in the shade the rest of the trip. Everything stayed cold and two days later after traveling back home (5 hrs) there was still a frozen chunk in my cold pack.

Small

Tight spots and dirty looks. Regulars welcome, everyone else stay home .

Wine time!

Great CG near Grafton! Easy drive and several winery’s. Nice trails as well!

Quick and Convenient

Babler is located off I-64 in the chesterfield area about 30 minutes from Saint Louis. There are many spots to choose from. Basic and electric/water sites. Tent and Rv set ups are mixed. The site provides wood, ice, water, shower house and outhouses. There are equestrian and hiking trails. No rivers or water available. It is quiet and some areas are on hills. I would say the only issue is the raccoons. They dont give a darn who you are. They will walk right up to, smile, and take your chips. Scandalous! We love this site because its close and convenient.

Worst campground we’ve ever been to

This campground has changed owners multiple times, and is sorely in need of renovation.  The sites are sunk down, poorly rocked and extremely narrow.  The majority of sites are backup only, which is a recipe for disaster with all of the rain central Illinois has had this Spring.  Be prepared for mud and standing water.  4wd a must

Great campground and general park

The campground has a lot of very nice campsites. Some are close enough to be near others, which is nice when you are camping with friends. There are also sights that are a bit more sectioned off from neighboring campsites. There are multiple trails, but my favorite is the one around the lake. Be prepared for it to take a little longer than map states if you stop to look at things and take pictures. Trails are well marked. There is a beach to swim and play in the lake. They rent kayaks if you want to get out and explore the lake.

Nice retreat!

Nice place! Good balance of shade and no shade spots. Don’t fee as though you are on top of everyone and even the generators won’t be too loud tonight. Little buggy and gotta watch for ticks, but this is camping and you are in nature.