The best GROUP camping near
Hilltop , GEORGIA

Most Recent Hilltop Camping Reviews
Overlander finally pitched a tent

I stopped into Atlanta for a few nights and wanted a covid-safe accommodations and a spot to hike and shoot photography. Sweetwater Creek camping was sort of primitive camping in a city setting. You could definitely hear traffic going by the camp site as a thoroughfare runs through the park. The bathroom facilities and shower were among the cleanest I’ve seen on the road and the hiking was really great. Not busy at all in the early AM. Kudos to the camp host and staff. Although I always prefer sleeping in the back of my Land Cruiser, I’d pitch a tent and definitely stay again for a couple nights in the future.

Fantastic

I stayed in site 52 and there was only one person next to me. Sites were spread out nicely and taken care of. Gates close for cars at 10pm and reopen at 7am. Felt safe. Would go again :)

Really nice place to camp.

Big campsites on beautiful lake. Stayed at site 38. Great stay.

Hidden gem

Great spot! Primitive only. Bathrooms were far from camp spots but portor potties were nearby.

Very clean

We camp here once or twice a year. Clean bathrooms and showers. I do feel for the tent campers, as there is nothing flat about the “tent only” sites. You can, however rent an RV spot and use a tent. (Just not the water front sites. Not sure why, this is a fairly new rule, because we used to tent camp on the water front sites here.) As for the folks that mention the lack of trees and shade, in the defense of the park, it’s not their fault, it used to be very shady, but a tornado pretty much leveled this place back in 2008, and wiped out probably 90% of the trees. There’s even plaques by the doors on the shower houses, telling about the folks who took shelter in the bath houses, during the storm.

Beautiful Park

Lots of great hiking. 2 playgrounds were open. Playgrounds are brand new or at least they look brand new. I am 225 lbs and I played on all the equipment with my daughter. The bathrooms were cleaner than my bathroom at home. The dogs loved the hiking and the river is beautiful with the fall colors. There are so many small trails that are shortcuts around this park. After 2 days, you will feel like a local getting around. There is ice at the visitor center along with snacks and souvenirs. I look forward to my next visit.

Great sites, friendly people, nice trails nearby

Check in was quick and easy. We had an amazing site with a great waterfront view perfect for sunsets. Kids thoroughly enjoyed playing at the edge of the water. The nearby restroom was old but serviceable and the playground was small. Trailhead is a short drive and the trails we went on were very nice. Late checkout (3pm) was so nice. Overall, a great campground. Will definitely return in the future.

Absolutely not tent friendly

This park has great hiking, which is honestly the only positive thing I have to say about arrowhead. There are several miles of dirt bike trail that is hiker friendly, of various difficulties.

The camp ground itself is well maintained, but tent campers are not allowed to rent ANY of the sites along the lake front. We were the only people at the campground when we were there, and still were not allowed to camp in one of the lakefront spots. The "tent sites" are paved and at very extreme angles, with very sparse to no tree cover what so ever. The sites were essentially on top of each other.

We wound up renting a back up (20' I believe) site for our meager 4 person dome tent. There was water and electricity available, with clean facilities nearby. There is no wind break due to the sparse tree coverage, so pack for a chilly night if the temps dip at all.

Great Walk Up Tent Sites

Really gorgeous park. Has a great 5 mile trail that is basically no elevation besides some small hills, that is right on the river. Even on hot days you catch a cool breeze off the river making it a nice, easy hike. Massive observation tower is very cool. Facilities are always clean and staff has always been friendly. Office does sell firewood and some gifts.

Beautiful views of the lake from all around

We stayed here for 2 nights in September and enjoyed every minute. There are a ton of campsites right on the water and there is a deep enough drop off that many folks had their boats pulled up right to their site. The bathrooms are clean and well kept and so is the campground. There are a few shorter trails for nature walks and plenty of spots to do some bank fishing. The fish were pretty active and I managed to pull in a pan sized striped bass. We will be going back again in the spring without a doubt.