Alachua, FLORIDA
Most Recent Alachua Camping Reviews
Underground river

The campsite was nice and private. The bathrooms were clean. The park had nice hiking trails, but I enjoyed the kayaking most of all. There is a swimming section. The river goes underground but you can’t kayak in this area. The river has a small rapids area, for Florida. Got to see a snake sunbathing next to two turtles with kayaking. Fun park!

Gorgeous Wildlife

Many opportunities to spot wildlife close by. The camp is frequented by college students. Bathrooms are clean. Plenty of hiking to be found. Buffalo, deer, eagles, alligators, owls….Visit Sweetwater.

Treehouses

The treehouses are very cool and sleep four people. The camp is an old Girl Scout camp but was then purchased by Clay County. The park has a swimming pool and other places to camp besides the treehouses. There is a fun trail to hike with a wooden bridge over the swamp. The camp has access to black creek and is fun for kayaking.

Love love love

We have stayed here many times. In cabins or in tent. We like to hike which there is plenty of m. Canoe which they rent. Firewood is available.

Great camping

Great cheap camping and free spot to hike and drop your kayak

Beautiful springs

This place has gorgeous springs. You can only swim if the manatees are gone. People were also scuba diving underneath us while we swam. The water is always 72 degrees year round. We also rented a canoe and paddled out to the river but the current was pretty strong. We paddled back and approached the swimming area and saw a little gator, almost ran it over.

They have a nice store next to the springs and they sell food too.

The site hosts were very helpful and very nice.

The deer will walk right up to you because they have no fear of people.

We love this place.

We camp and hike here ALL the time. Canoeing, hiking, picnicking and just plain relaxing are on the top of the list. Cleanest bathrooms and quietest camping. Ample space between.

The fish are awesome

We have camped here two times and I’ve enjoyed it both times. The camp sites have no privacy though. The springs are amazing and are highly recommended. The fish swim all around and aren’t scared of swimmers. The springs have several deep caverns. We saw a blue crab crawling up from one of them.

The bathrooms were a mess on our second visit, but still was due to one of the large groups.

Kids love it

We have camped here twice. Once with kids and once without. The spaces are close together without much vegetation. The bathrooms leave much to be desired. There is a ROBUST raccoon population as well. The springs are refreshing to swim in and the kids loved swimming there.

My favorite place!

People ask me my favorite place camping and this place is my answer. We got to see so many different animals. The park is a bit different than others, you drive outside the park to different locations within the park.

Our first night camping was difficult to sleep because of our college camping neighbors. They had a great time, but it was an isolated incident. Besides that, we got to see so many animals. The park is still damaged from hurricane Irma.

I highly recommend this state park!

Great Family Campground

Wonderfully quiet. Store where you can rent canoes. Dock to go fishing. River is quiet and deer Comte right through your campsite.

Quiet camp with amazing kayaking

We camped here for a weekend in the spring. It has a serene hiking trail and is a wonderful spot to kayak. It is quiet and peaceful. Lots of birds.

Jungle in the woods

I love this state park and frequent it often. The Florida State Trail passes through the park and is well marked. The ravines section is my favorite area in the park. In the greener months, it feels like a rain forest.

The camp areas are well spaced and located within a fast walking distance from the restrooms. These are some of the cleanest restrooms I’ve seen in my camping experience.

Canoe rentals are available and there is a nice beach for the children to play.

I have never had a bad experience at this park and will continue to camp here.

Fun location

We camped here before things warmed up, but we enjoyed it. The children loved the close proximity of the lake. We were approximately 10 feet away from the water. The area had two sets of swings nearby and a dock. The bathrooms were clean and in good order.

We were required to set up our tent before registering. At the registration building, you can rent kayaks and paddle-boards.

Even with base access, you can only camp with a military member as a guest or be in the military.

I would camp here again.

Family & pet friendly

This is a great campground. The bath houses are spaced out well and nicely maintained . Very quiet. I do recommend reservations since the walk up spots fill up fast. We’ll be back!

Decent place

Its much better than the big camp ground across the lake. But it depends on what time you come, some days its nice and secluded and some days its packed

Great for overlanders.

Nice and secluded, great for overlanders. Only downfall is the mosquitos

Ranger Review Primus Lite XL Stove at Woods Ferry River Camp

Campground Review

Woods Ferry River Camp is the first in a series of river camps available about a day’s paddle apart on the Suwannee River From White Springs (River mile 159.3 GPS Location: N 30 21.22, W 82 51.37 ) to Adams Track (River mile 85.5 GPS Location: N 30 2.10, W 83 1.14). On our recent visit River Level was at 52 making it easy to get out of kayak on a small sandy area under ramp. One of the storage racks had been damaged in recent storm/flooding but one still remained and held our 6 boats easily. There are carts to help you get your gear up the high 200 yard, winding ramp to get to the camp. Recent weather has taken a toll on this favorite camp of ours. We stayed in screened pavilion # 3 and found the railing to be loose and many of the installed hammock hooks bent down and unusable. Shower in the men’s room was scheduled for repair so we “stood guard” for our male camping companion to shower in ladies room. Camp hosts were wonderful and had ice as well as firewood available “for donation”. Fire pits were all clean as well as the rest of the facility! There is a large pavilion with picnic tables and electricity available for use with a large fire pit and grills. Other than routine maintenance needing done this place is holding up well. It is still free to stay at the river camps. There is a very nice tent camping area also! Screened pavilions need a reservation during busy time of year (which I would suggest always try to get). Our outfitter offers a service to shuttle gear to site for a fee. This trip there was a terrible storm front that came through and we did not get to finish our trip and outfitter was able to pick us up at this location. As we were aware of the trouble we could have with the weather we were able to get a call out luckily( limited cell service here) and arranged for our outfitter American Canoe Adventures – to pick us up. The hard part was moving all our boats from the river up to where the van could get to. Long ramp in the pouring rain – not fun. You cannot drive into Woods Ferry, this is a river access location only, except for camp hosts and permitted outfitters.

Product Review

On this kayak camping trip I had the opportunity to test out the Primus Lite XL . This stove comes with a 1 liter pot (good to feed 2 persons) that actually connects to the stove to prevent spills! This connection between burner and pot made for a secure unit making it much easier to stir the pot! The heat flows through the specially designed bottom of the pot which had fins built in, this heats the pot and items you are cooking very efficiently! This new feature also aids in keeping wind from carrying away your heat! Another bonus feature is the igniter button – no need to carry extra lighter for this stove. The clear lid with strainer, footrest, and folding stove handles make this a complete package. Well built, seems like with will hold up well in the back country and light/compact enough for backpacking. Primus did a great job with this set!. As a rebel I also had to test burner without the included pot and unit provided stable support and cooked evenly. Great gas saving stove! Thank you #PrimusAmerica !

Get yours today at https://primus.us/products/lite-xl-4?variant=17262671429

My Family and friends have been here many times. We love it. It's got beautiful woods and gorgeous water.

Camping next to the Spring

Devil’s Den Spring is a one of a kind spring with diving and snorkeling offered. We camped here and were the only two in the campground since it was summer and their slow season. The bathrooms were clean and showers were available. The store also rented out snorkeling and diving equipment.

Relaxing Camping

The bathrooms and showers were clean. There wasn’t a lot to do in this area, we did try fishing in the lake adjacent to the campground, but didn’t catch anything. The campsites are surrounded by trees and large.

Too rowdy!

I stayed here one night at a tent site. Generally I enjoyed the layout and scenery, I was also reasonably spaced out from my neighbors. I was unfortunately right next to the pool. All day I heard screaming kids, after dark is was screaming young adults until 10:00. For me, it was not the experience of quiet exclusion I am lookin for when camping.

The restroom facilities were old and shabby, but I could see that they did attempt to keep them clean.

Truly amazing

I wish we could have stayed longer! We arrived late to our reservation after driving from Texas. The people we talked to at the office are super nice and helpful, and provided us with a gate code to get in.

Even in the dark, we had no problem navigating our way into our campsite. I booked an RV site, even though we were tent-ing, as it was the same low price either way. The sites are very spacious and the grounds are beautiful. Bath and shower house was very clean.

Come morning, we had a couple of deer visit us!

They have canoe, kayak, sup, etc for rent for great prices. The river is beautiful, and abundant with wildlife. Saw plenty of birds, fish, alligators and snakes. Next was the spring, and that was out of this world.

We have a new favorite Campground!

Family friendly

Grew up camping here as a kid, I would recommend the primitive over the RV spots. The people are more friendly on that side! Other than that it’s clean nicely laid out and the staff is friendly.

Nice place

Playground, lots of hiking trails, primitive or regular camping. Beautiful state park

Great campground!

Bugs were horrendous the weekend we were there, but that happens in Florida! Water was awesome. Plenty of things for the kids to do. Sites were nice as were the bathrooms.

Check yourself for ticks

Had a great time tent camping and hiking the various trails. Close to the itchnetuckee. It’s very woodsy so make sure you check yourself for ticks.

Peaceful

We took the 2 hour guided boat ride and got a feel for the swamp.My grandsons spent two nights on platforms , there are many, paddling through the Swmp and exploring. Great adventure for teens. Lots of alligators.

Peaceful Campground with walkable springs access

This campground is super quiet and nestled in Florida cow country. The bathrooms are new and very well kept. The center sites seem more level than the outer ring of sites. We started at site 26 and moved to site 68 because we couldn’t level out on the sandy ground.

WiFi connection is quite good and you are able to stream Netflix and Prime tv.

The best part of this park is the short trail to Hart Springs directly from the campground. It takes you through shaded Florida swamp and marsh and opens up on the Hart springs recreation area. Unfortunately Hart springs was closed while we were there due to flooding and construction but should be open for spring 2019, but it looks like an incredible swimming spot with ample space, tables and pavilions. A short boardwalk walk at the springs takes you out to the shores of Suwannee river.

Walmart supercenter is your closest grocery in chiefland, a 20-25 minute drive.

DON’T MISS stopping at Dakotah Winery for a free tasting and a bottle of their sweet wine for sangria. 19 98 country restaurant has amazing wings and even better southern hospitality.