About OLENO State Park
Hike In
OLENO State Park is located in Florida
19 Reviews of OLENO State Park
Check yourself for ticks

Had a great time tent camping and hiking the various trails. Close to the itchnetuckee. It’s very woodsy so make sure you check yourself for ticks.

Lovely, older state park

The roads and campsites are a bit narrow since this was built long ago before big rigs, but we didn’t have any trouble navigating with our 30’ travel trailer. The campsites are relatively level and have beautiful trees and scenery. There’s a good bit of distance between you and your neighbor which is always nice. The campsites have electricity and water and there is a dump station on-site. We only stayed a few days in January 2019 to visit some friends in the Gainesville area, but would love to come back to explore the area more. Easy access to the park and to Gainesville. We had good internet service for AT&T and Verizon. From the park, you can see the Santa Fe River flow below the ground to the Santa Fe sink. Overall, it was a very nice state park and we will definitely stay again.

Hidden jewel

This park is very close to each Ichetucknee Springs and other springs in the area. This is a beautiful park with well kept areas and clean bathrooms. In Santa Fe river runs through the park.

Doesn’t feel like Florida

If your looking for a nature campground this might be it. Very rustic with awesome trails. Lots of trees with changing leaf color and dropping. There are nice elevation changes which makes it feel like your in the Carolinas or Georgia. The river is nice to see but I wouldn’t swim or canoe it. Very fast and dark. The magnolia loop is better suited for larger campers. We are 35’ and are in the Magnolia loop but nearly hit a tree backing in. The park doesn’t have much in the way of amenities no septic nor washer or dryer.

Great State Park

A wonderful state park. The showers and restrooms are exceptionally clean and spacious. The magnolia sites are a very short walk to the river where there are great hiking trails ranging from 1.6 mi to over 7 miles. Ichetucknee State Park and wonderful river tubing is a short drive away. There is a swimming hole at O'Leno but it was not open due to flooding. Canoe rental was not currently an option either. Not busy at all during the week in early May. O’Leno State Park where the Santa Fe River drops underground for 3 miles then comes back up at River Rise before flowing into the Suwannee River. Many of the buildings and the suspension bridge was built by the Civilian Conservation Corp.

A Glorious Time!

I have been camping at Oleno every year since I was about 1. This annual trip is something I look forward to each year. The hiking, the sites, the lush greenery. Plus they are pet friendly! The picture attached is one of my first memories here :)

Oh my.....

Ranger Review: Matador Backpack Beast 28L at O’Lena State Park, Florida.

Campground Review:

Ever seen Jurassic Park? O’Lena is a lot like that :)

I travel with my three amigos ( Pomeranian, Dachshund and Australian Cattledog) and was on high alert as soon as we entered the park. My dogs don’t understand that this is the type of park where the wildlife will chase and eat them instead of the other way around ………So that being said keep a close eye on your kids and pets!

The foliage is lots of fern and primitive looking fauna which makes for a very intriguing visit. Another movie that came to mind while hiking on the river loop trail was “Anaconda”, no I didn’t see any snakes( or alligators for that matter) but the trail and bridges were reminiscent of that movie , no machete required. Instructional signage along the way and interesting sights along the Santa Fe River. The bridges were pretty cool and the original recreated settlement is pretty awesome. All CCC construction. There is a picnic area, a pavilion, a lodge, a museum, several other structures and a swimming area (WHAT!!) which was closed when we visited due to high water levels. Funny sign ( LOTS of sarcasm cause you know somebody did it) says to not swim with the alligators……I was glad for that warning cause I had my water wings ready to go.

There are several trails available for hiking and biking and a primitive campsite on Sweetwater Trail. Santa Fe River goes underground in this area and you can check it out along the trails, going in and coming out again.

There is equestrian camping and trails available but I did not visit that area. Bug spray and be aware of your surroundings while enjoying the trails.

The Dogwood campground sites are well spaced out with sand, electric, sand, water, picnic table and sand. Some of the sites are more suitable for group camping. The Dogwood trailhead is in the campground. It is a well maintained easily accessible area. Other then being on constant watch for wild creatures waiting in ambush to grab my dogs I like this park. It felt very tropical primitive and has several activities to enjoy.

Product Review:

Matador Beast28 Packable Technical Backpack https://matadorup.com/ has been a very useful and versatile addition to my outdoor gear. It hangs in its stuff sack in the back of my vehicle out of the way until needed (PRO). When I have need of a small sturdy backpack for day hikes or light overnighters it’s right there ready for use.

When I first received my Matador Backpack I pulled the Beast28 out of its stuff sack and explored all its pockets and possible attachment sites. I then Re-folded it and actually got it back in the stuff sack (PRO), a definite plus since I often have a hard time re-stuffing gear into its original bag.

I have extra bladders from my hydration systems so I loaded the Beast with a bladder, no problem. There are right and left “ports” from inside to outside the pack and elastic straps on the shoulder straps to run the hose through. This option of course goes on both Pro and Con. PRO-the ability to load bladder and run hydration hose , CON-it’s not going to fit in the stuff sack anymore. So hydration bladder has to be packed and carried separately (not that big of a deal).

I’ve read where other people were not to impressed with the pocket size but when I loaded it up I was able to fit everything I wanted to pack for an overnight. Mind you I’m not a “professional” backpacker, however I stay pretty comfortable when I do venture into the woods.

I used the Beast as a day bag while at O’Lena , I packed it with snacks and a few other essentials. I am long in torso and noticed that the hip belt is more of a middle waist belt for me. The Beast worked well and was comfortable for a short hike around the river area.

I wore the Beast again while hiking on Ft Campbell, Ky. Longer distance, little bit more gear. I had to redistribute my load because my cook pot was sitting in the bottom of the bag and riding in the small of my back, not comfortable. I adjusted the shoulder and waist straps a few times on this hike for comfort. Something that would be a nice upgrade would be pockets on the waist straps for snacks, etc so that you don’t have to completely remove the bag to reach your snacks.

Most recently I wore the Beast at Mammoth Cave National Park for an overnighter. Everything I needed fit in the Beast(PRO). Two things (CONs) I noticed, one the Beast has no “frame/skeleton” per say so when you are attempting to pull single items out other items tumble out also because the bag basically collapses on itself…if that makes sense :) two, once again due to the lack of a “frame” when you work up a sweat while hiking your back gets wet because the bag is sitting right on your shirt/skin, no breathable material in between.

Overall I like the Matador Beast 28 , it is convenient, versatile and well made.

Beautiful Park!

This is one of our all time favorite campgrounds! There is plenty of camping sites and plenty of excitement including a suspension bridge.

enjoyed camping here

place is beautiful, lots of amenities, lots of trees, we saw a bunch of deer and squirrels. swimming area was closed due to flooding but it seems fun. well kept park

beautiful

what a beautiful, peaceful state park! plenty of space between sites, fully shaded and private! definitely going back!!!