The best WALK IN camping near
Campo , COLORADO

Most Recent Campo Camping Reviews
Nice hike

First 2.5 miles of the hike are fairly easy with the last 1.5 mile going uphill with lose rocks/boulders. Campsites are a little too close together.

Simply everything you need

Each site is pull thru with full hook ups. The laundry is in a heated bathroom with shower. The 2nd bathroom and shower doesn't have laundry. $1 wash and $1 Dry per cycle. Pull in select your site complete the registration and put it in the drop box.

Middle of nowhere

Great, quiet little place. Clean bathrooms. In a grove of trees in the middle of open fields. Places for tents. We're able to camp with our 30' TT. Lot was big enough to turn it around. Had to use our generator all night due to battery issues. Sorry to the tent campers at the other end of the park for the noise. I'm sure they were glad when we pulled out in the morning. Awesome free spot.

Good stay for 1 night

Only stayed for a night but it was a good stay. Super clean vault toilets and trash bins. There’s about 6-7 tent spots with picnic tables and fire rings. I have a camper van and stayed in the parking lot. No pull in spots for RVs or trailers but the lot can accommodate them. Pretty remote so very peaceful. Stayed on a Saturday and all tent spots filled up and had 4-5 lot sleepers.

Loved the area...warmed up to the camp

Like some other reviews have said, the state park isn't at Black Mesa…just near it.

The area itself has plenty of cool things - Black Mesa, wonderful changing views, dinosaur tracks, petrified forest. Some of those things are at the state park, others are "nearish".

The campground itself - well, when I showed up I wasn't very impressed. Facilities are outdated and not well cared for. I don't blame the people working there. Probably just a funding thing, especially being so far from the population and capitol of Oklahoma. It's a shame because a lot of people pass through this corner and it might be their only impression of Oklahoma.

But friendly neighbors, great evening weather and some nice star watching despite thin clouds made me warm up to the place.

Some spots are have big nice shade trees, but with all the star watching you might actually want a spot without trees.

No Verizon service but AT&T was strong enough to FaceTime with.

Next time I come back to the area - and I hope to - I will check out camping options at some of the nearby bed and breakfasts. Would love to see the state invest a little in this camp. I don't think it would take much.

Desert Fun

I loved the hiking trails and the nature walks. It is out in the middle of no where but nice.

Small but a great stop

This is a small park but has some really nice views. This is a great place to stop for a day or two as you are traveling. There is a place to see dinosaur tracks and also 3 corners (Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma). Highest point in Oklahoma, but you wouldn’t know it. When you get on top of the flats you can see for a ways! Watch for snakes on the trails but worth the early morning or late evening hike.

Clean quiet overnight spot

Great campsite for someone passing through. Arrived close to 1am easily parked with our RTT. Area is mowed and are the bathrooms clean. Nice quiet area worth the 15 min off the main road to get to. We walked our dog in the morning and found a campsite down a mowed path at the end past the metal barrier. Clean grills and Picnic tables.

Nearby campground to Preserve area

This is the best and just about the only camping area if you want to visit the Black Mesa Preserve, which somewhere around 15-30 minutes away by car. There are many tent and RV sites in the creek area, and there is a bathroom here, though it feels like a high school locker room, wasn't very clean, and didn't have soap (during the coronavirus pandemic, so this was a little upsetting). There are tent sites in the lake area, which is a short drive from the main camping area.

There was a camp host there to guide us, and she was very friendly and helpful.

Thankfully, this site now doesn't turn on its street lights, so you can see the stars in all their glory! This is the darkest skies in the continental US, so I was so happy to hear they've finally shut off their street lights. View of the Milky Way is stunning from here.

The creek was dried up when we were here. But we saw a fox, a couple deer, rabbits, and many bird species.

YOU MUST go visit the Preserve. The scenery is gorgeous, and you can find dinosaur track fossils, and ancient native peoples rock carvings, if you know where to look. Also check out the tri-state marker, and continue maybe 100 yards beyond it to see an older original marker. Bring loads of sunscreen and look out for snakes.

Probably wouldn’t return

There was this truck that kept speeding back and forth by the site. When i fell asleep they came near my vehicle and when i woke up to check things out they sped off. I wasn’t sure what they were up to but felt uncomfortable and therefore left. Great view of the stars though.