Cedar Ridge , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Cedar Ridge Camping Reviews
Secluded!

We drove into the campground on a Friday night and were surprised to see that the 5.5mi dirt road was on the side of the mountain and had a lot of ruts. We were driving a Prius Prime with low ground clearance, so it took us nearly an hour to get down to the campground from Hwy 120. Others driving a truck and a Chevy Suburban passed us pretty quickly during turnouts.

Though 4WD or higher ground clearance is not required, I would recommend it! Otherwise, be prepared for a slow drive down to the campground.

Campsites are free, and the facilities are pretty bare bones (you have a picnic table, a fire pit, and a bear box at each site plus a single toilet at the campground entrance), but we got excellent views of the stars and were the only group at the campground. I definitely recommend this campground if you're looking to get away from everything and everyone.

Other than the unexpectedly difficult drive down (for a sedan/Prius), we all enjoyed this campground. We will be returning in a more appropriate vehicle in the future.

Rock Climbers Galore

Lots of history at this campground for rock climbers. I ended up at this spot during the off-season when it wasn’t too busy so not many people were here. The layout is community style which makes it good for meeting folks who are climbing. Met someone who was biking and we did a road loop around the park.

Amazing

We backpacked to Rancheria camp and stayed for 2 nights.  It's about 6 miles from the trailhead, and an incredibly gorgeous hike.  It was pretty hot when we went, and a little hazy from wildfires, but still totally worth it.

The camping area itself is pretty big.  There were a few other groups camping while we were there, but we hardly knew they were there.  The river access was close by, so we could filter water.

We took a day hike to Tiltill valley, and it was so beautiful there.  Highly recommended.

There were a lot of bugs, so for the first time ever I used my bug net and was very thankful I had it on this trip.

Hike-in sites are great

We stayed here for a weekend at one of the hike-in sites in the Chamise area.  We were the only ones in this area, and had a decent view of the lake.  We even managed to make a path down to the water from our site, so we could swim.  Lots of good trees around for hammocks.

The hike-in sites were relatively close to the parking area, so not a huge hike, though a little steep.  We probably brought too much stuff, so it might have been a little easier if we pared down a little.

Overlooked but don't miss it

The Hetch Hetchy Reservoir isn't the most popular part of Yosemite, but it's a great spot. There are a few backpacking options on the north side of the reservoir, so choose the route that best suits you. Be prepared to climb, but water is abundant.

Yosemite

You're staying in Yosemite Valley, one of the most beautiful places in the world. We stayed a couple nights in the tents, and it was fine. They're close together, but it's nice to have a "room" instead of just a tent. The bathrooms and showers were nearby too. Be sure to enjoy the countless miles of trails and epic views.

Nice spot for a weekend

We camped out for 2 nights in spot 96 in the height of summer and just before all the fires started. New Melones was not a top destination but it was close to a very special place for us, Natural Bridges. Also, at the time of booking it was one of the few campgrounds accepting new reservations in this age of COVID. We selected spot 96 as it was the furthest from any other spot (situated on a bend and the only site on that part of the road for a while). It was something like 107 when we were setting up the tent and most of the day time but on the lake itself, the temperature was perfect. One thing to be aware of, most of the drive in camp sites, including ours, had absolutely no shade (including nowhere to hang a hammock).

The Good:

• The view was amazing
  • The tent spot was level and clear of big rocks
  • All the campers abided by quiet time
  • It was so dark that I was able to do some great astrophotography
  • The location was a great step off point for adventure in Gold Country

The Bad:

• The last campers in our spot left garbage everywhere. We filled up a large garbage bag before we could setup camp.
  • Some bathrooms were closed but port-o-potties were there instead (as if somehow that is more clean???)
  • The bathrooms that were open were disgusting
  • No camp host onsite while we were there

We don’t have a boat but the boat launch was pretty busy all day and the day use spots were packed.

All in all, Tuttletown wouldn’t be our first choice but we would go back - probably later in the season since we aren’t there for boating.

I was debating on 3 or 4 stars. Showing up in 107 heat and wanting to set up a tent but having to clean up that much garbage was a huge turn off and having bathrooms closed with no notice was also a disappointment. I know these things aren’t normal but more notice on facilities and finding ways to get this cleaned up first would be a start.

Picture perfect

4 miles off the Tioga Pass. RV not recommended. Always a great place 72 sites first come first served @ 17$. If your early river sites the best, no showers.

Amazing views

The views from this place are amazing. The abandoned ski lifts are pretty cool to look at and hike along them as well. I camped right on the edge where the view was as far from the highway as possible. The only downfall is that you can hear the highway. I went on a Tuesday. But I could tell the place gets busy at some point. I would go again.

Found on accident! Fell in love!

This will always be my FOREVER campground ! We have been coming for about two years now and still so absolutely in love with it! I recommend to friends and family all the time. You can bring your furry kids, there are clean showers and restrooms. Watering holes on campgrounds and around the area like Cherry Lake, Rainbow Pools and Gods Bath! California is full of beautiful wonders and this little gem in Stanislaus Forest is one of them! There is a little coffee-smoothie shack made by the hosts! Enjoy a mocha and have great conversations with them! Frank is our go to guy, he’ll set you up with a great spot to suit your needs!!