About Eagle Point Campground

With its rugged shoreline and blue-green water, Emerald Bay is one of the most photographed places in the world. Vikingsholm, a replica of a Scandinavian castle (800 A.D.), is part of the park. The building is considered one of the finest examples of Scandinavian architecture in the Western Hemisphere. Tours are available of this 38-room mansion. Emerald Bay offers a panoramic view of the lake from Eagle Falls. Hikers can head into nearby Desolation Wilderness or walk the rugged lakeshore to D.L. Bliss along the Rubicon Trail.

Price
$15.00 - $35.00
Eagle Point Campground is located in California
5 Reviews of Eagle Point Campground
Campground with a beautiful layout

I walked through the seasonally closed Eagle Point Campground while exploring the Emerald Bay section of Lake Tahoe. This campground is a newly renovated area of the peninsula on the South/West side of the Emerald Bay State Park separated into Upper and Lower sections.

Since the campground was closed we had to park on Highway 89 and walk through the campground to get to the Rubicon Trailhead which is located at the divider between the 2 camping sections.

As we hiked through I was really blown away with the layout of the campground. I loved that these sites were almost a multi-leveled. Meaning that your tent site might be 10 feet lower than your picnic table, bear box, etc. or it could have a raised fire pit on a small bluff above the tent pad, table. Each site was unique, and this added to the separation between sites, so you’re not on the same level and directly next to your neighbors, adding to the feeling of being in the wilderness. (At least to me)

Also, it should be pointed out that there were signs everywhere about using your bear boxes and that they’d fine you if you leave anything in your car. I know some people seem to have an issue with this for some reason…but I don’t want a bear roaming through any campground I’m staying at.

There weren’t any sites that I saw which could hold an RV or 5th wheel, unless you have something under 18 feet… So maybe tents only, and there are no hookups. While I know I got a sterile experience since no one was actually camping, the campground was very clean and well maintained and the restrooms looked really nice. They had running water, flush toilets and pay showers ($1 per 3 minutes). The little amphitheater at the trailhead was cool and seemed ideally setup for presentations with incredible views of Lake Tahoe.

While pets are allowed in the campground, they’re not allowed on the Emerald Bay SP trails or beaches. Sites are $35 and all are reservable 6 month out, so

Great Campground

We stayed during the week to avoid the crowds. The first night we had some neighbors but rest of our stay there were only a handful of campers. Our site was #56 which had a partial view of the lake through the trees in the distance. It was also located directly across from the bathrooms and campground host who’s name was David. He was very friendly and accommodating. The bathrooms are clean and the showers have hot water. Cost $1 per token for the showers. Only downside to being so close to bathrooms were that other campers are not as curtious when comes to closing the bathroom door quietly at night so be prepared to hear the door slamming all night long. There was beach access from the campground by a moderate walk down the trail. The campground is close to a lot of day excursions in Emerald Bay. My suggestion hike to Lower and Upper eagle falls and continue onto Eagle Lake. The views are breathtaking! definitely a highlight of our trip. It is only a ten min drive to the Eagle Falls from the campground and about a 20 min drive to town. The campground is dog friendly but dogs are only allowed on the paved road; no trails or scenic view points. Overall very nice campground.

Great Views and quiet evenings

Our only complaint was the bathrooms were a little dirty, but other than that, the camp ground was great. We paid for a larger site but only had two of us and it made for a ton of space between us and the people around. Woke up to the sun bouncing off the lake. Great place to stay.

Beautifully renovated and clean campground

We spent 2 nights at the newly renovated Eagle Point campground on the coast of Emerald Bay. Our campsite was clean with bear lockers, picnic tables, and fire pit provided. The bathrooms and showers were well kept and I saw park staff cleaning them each morning we were there. We did have a bear sighting(he was trying to get into the main dumpster by the bathrooms). However, once the Rangers were notified they made regular loops around the campground throughout the night to ensure everyone's safety. Our site was right near he trail that lead down to the beach. It was campsite #63. This made it very easy for us to take our kayaks down the .25 mile trail and launch into Emerald bay. I would highly recommend this campsite for anyone in the south Tahoe area!

Beautifully renovated and clean campground