Helena, ARKANSAS

Most Recent Helena Camping Reviews
Primitive

Great hunting and fishing. Everything here will bite, stick or sting you.

Rough shape for a State Park

We were staying at another nearby campground and decided to drive through GPC State Park to scout out campsites for our next camping trip. The park is located about 10 minutes off the interstate and it is also on the shores of Enid Lake.

It seems as if they built the park and haven’t done much else with it since. The sites are rough and close together, although there are a few nice spots on the water.

The day use area is nicer with a new pavilion, nice playground and a bare bones mini golf that would probably entertain very young children. They also have disc golf, but I don’t play so I can’t offer an opinion on the condition of that.

There are several cabins onsite that can be rented.

There is a boat ramp, but no swim beach. For those that are just looking for somewhere to hook up a camper for sleeping purposes only and then head out on the lake to fish or for recreation, then this place would probably be ok for you.

Really nice campground

This campground is huge! They offer full hookups and lots of sites with water views! There are several different “loops” within the campground. The majority of the sites are level and spacious. The closer you get to the water, the closer some of the sites get together, but not all. This place is very popular during the summer months with the boating crowd.

There are several bathhouses throughout the campground, but beware if you are needing to use them for showers! Not all of them are full shower houses, so you might have to walk further or drive to one with a shower.

The playground still looks to be the original from the 70’s. I do wish they would upgrade that for the families with kids.

There is a walking trail that says closed, but according to the camp host it is actually open. Wish I would have known that sooner as I love to hike.

There is a store near by with gas, live fishing bait and any last minute forgotten items. They have breakfast biscuits in the mornings!

2 night stay at Village Creek

This place was ok, very small, however more than half the trails and park were closed due to flooding. Lots of construction in progress. There was no sewage hook ups (water electricity only), nearby dump station. Bathroom facilities were very clean. The two trails opened were nice. My kids brought there bikes and enjoyed the one bike trail. I was a little annoyed by the park staff. They came by at least 15 times each day, checking tags, checking fire pits, checking pets, etc. I get it, but it kind of ruins the whole experience when you are relaxing in your camper and see park personnel snooping around constantly. We saw them everywhere. We couldn’t even hike without seeing them. It just felt invasive.

Gorgeous peninsula campground

This was our 2nd time camping here. It’s the nicest campground close to home. All of the sites are large with full hookups. They really did an excellent job with this place. The bathrooms are the best of the best (private, suite style rooms). I like that it is not a large park (only 14 RV sites and 3 tent sites) l, so even when it is full, it does not feel overcrowded. I do wish they had more hiking trails, but the bear creek look is really nice. The park office is excellent with a museum area. Fire wood can be purchased at the office as well. Very popular lake for fishing!

Primitive and Peaceful

Not much activity in the winter other than a couple of hunters. The campground is off the beaten path, so lots of quiet solitude. Great sites for a primitive campground! Beautiful views of the lake. The visitors center is a short drive away. Mostly a gift shop with a few supplies if necessary. They do sell wood. Great Lake for fishing, but not much hiking in the area unfortunately. The bear creek loop across from the main campground is a nice 1/2 mile stroll worth taking!

Less than impressed.

I am yet to leave a less than good review for a state park. We decided to come for new years and take a mini vacation. Due to the fact the state park is near a water treatment facility, we only made it two nights. The smell of sewer was awful. On top of that the park was unkempt, filthy, and littered with trash. There were many people camping in cars. We never felt safe. The camp host kept money from me that we had paid for reservations, I learned later. I do not recommend. We will not return. Sorry to Tennessee state parks as I hate to give a bad review.

Old Primitive Group Camp

This is an old, boy scout style group camp. A couple of picnic tables are grouped together at the front of the camp and then there are several remnants of old tent pads throughout the area. Large trees, lots of moss and no overgrowth make this a beautiful place to explore for an hour or so. There is (1) vault style toilet in the center of camp.

Beautiful in the Fall

Village Creek is becoming one of our favorite campground that is close to home! Great for hiking, fishing, kayaking and general outdoor activities!

Choose from 3 different campgrounds within the park: The Lower Loop is more rustic and offers water & electric hookups. There is a nice, small creek that runs along the back of the campground behind the sites opposite the main road. Plenty of flat ground for football, baseball or badminton. Very nice “suite style” bathrooms.

The Upper Loop has larger camp pads with full hookups. There is walk up water access at the end of the cove between sites 46 & 47 with a swim beach (looks like it is about to undergo some renovations) and playground. The bathroom is extremely clean.

The Horse Camp looks nice, but I don’t know any details on that.

The park office offers WiFi (very limited cell service in the park), wood for sale, ice for sale, other snacks and bike rentals.

Several tennis courts, a basketball court and a baseball backstop can also be found within the park. There is also a beautiful golf course for the golfer campers!

Perfect for the visit !!

Great place to stay if you are here for the tour , very nice folks , convenient factor through the roof , 24 hr security, shopping and eats close by ..