Camping in Shonto

Recent Walk-In Reviews Near Shonto

15 Reviews of 3 Shonto Campgrounds

Kerri H.
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2021

Didn't camp. Must-see scenery!!

Like a different planet! Must see! Rural area- no Verizon data, buy extra water, good grocery store/food/supplies in Kayenta 18 miles away. Hotels there too. Have fun!

Month of VisitDecember
C
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2021

Free

We needed a place to stay overnight between Moab and Phoenix. Free with water flush toilets and pretty sunsets. No fires Some of the sites are a little funky as to where you park and where the picnic table is. Several of the picnic tables are falling apart.

Month of VisitNovember
Kelly Y.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2021

Hidden Gem - FREE!

A must stop - we cannot believe this campground is free and so unpopular. There are full service restrooms with a camp sink outside, charcoal grills and picnic tables at each site. Note that fires are not permitted and sites do not have fire rings. We arrived around 5pm on a Monday on our way from…

Month of VisitOctober
Troy W.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2019

Navajo National Monument and Monument Valley

Traveling, hiking and camping around Navajo National Monument and Monument Valley is a treat to the eyes. If you are a fan of Western or Cowboy movies you'll understand. You are able to see iconic landscapes that you might have seen in a movie or tv series. You're best able to cover ground by…

• Play button icon
SitePrimitive
Month of VisitJanuary
A
Reviewed May. 29, 2019

Awesome

Great place to stay, Breathe Taking Views, Dont Miss A Chance To Stay a Night or Two

Olivia K.
Reviewed May. 29, 2019

Beautiful and convenient!

Nice, easy to find campground with beautiful views!!! Wish I could have spent more time here to explore a bit more, but I have no complaints! No campfires allowed, but grills are provided on site. Loved our time here!

Gina J.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2018

Beautiful but no fire rings

In most senses, this camp ground is great. Sunset View offers a beautiful setting, a camper service sink, flushable toilets and drinkable water. The only downside for me is the no burning except charcoal and propane stovetops. No fire rings is a no-go for me.

Gina J.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2018

Beautiful but no fire rings

Ali V.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Aug. 25, 2018

FREE!

Small visitor center, water and restrooms, and three self-guided hiking trails. Beautiful area to explore.

Sunset View Campground is a very nice free campground that would typically cost at least $20 per day. During my stay, most of the campers arrived early evening and departed early morning so…

N
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2018

best kept secret in AZ

This is a fantastic campground, with water, facilities but not overrun with people, and it’s free! I stayed here on a lark a few years ago and we wound up staying two nights and visiting the Betatakin, which is a free ranger lead ruins tour. This time I went back to backpack into Keet Seal, which…

Lindsay F.
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2018

Hidden Gem of Arizona!

First: it’s FREE! No cost to camp at this gorgeous national monument with facilities! When we visited in June, we were among a small crowd of campers. We have a tent and we were very comfortable under the Northern Arizona sky.

Laney S.
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2018

Great Campsite!

I camped here for a geology field trip with NAU. The following day we got a tour of the monument which was awesome! I loved the hike in and out. The campsite itself was scenic and quiet.

Month of VisitNovember
J
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2018

Oasis in the desert

Free pull in spots great for catching some zs while driving through. Beautiful landscaping and nice restrooms. Cowboy camped here on the way to Moab.

Jayne  W.
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2018

One of my favorite places, breathtaking views

This campground is beautiful, it’s up the mountain and I’m not sure how big of camper can get there, we pulled our 21ft and probably wouldn’t take anything bigger, the scenery is breathtaking and it’s very worth the drive!! A must see place, and the people at visitor center are so nice and…

C
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2017

My Favorite Southwest Campground

I visit this campground every year on my way to other areas of the Southwest. It is a beautiful high-desert site on a pinon-juniper-forested mesa top and is part of a national monument with two Pueblo III ruins set in the cliffs.

It really is two campgrounds within 1/4 mile, the Sunset View…

SiteBoth Sunset View and Canyon View