Fires Unknown
No Pets
About Alaska Basin Backcountry Camping

The hike to Basin Lakes in the Alaska Basin begins from Teton Canyon on the west side of Grand Teton National Park. From Highway 33 in the heart of Driggs, ID, turn eastbound onto Ski Hill Road. At just over a mile you'll reach a fork in the road. Bear left here and continue on Ski Hill Road, heading towards Grand Targhee Resort. Roughly 4 miles from Highway 33 you'll reach the Wyoming state line, and will soon pass through the town of Alta. At roughly 6.4 miles you'll reach the Targhee National Forest boundary. At 6.6 miles, just after crossing over the cattle guard, turn right onto Teton Canyon Road, which soon turns into a gravel road. From the junction drive another 4.6 miles to the South Teton Canyon Trailhead, located at the end of the road. As mentioned, Teton Canyon Road is a gravel road with lots of pot holes and washboard. However, a two-wheel drive vehicle should have no problems making it if drivers take their time.

No ADA Access
Alaska Basin Backcountry Camping is located in Wyoming
1 Review of Alaska Basin Backcountry Camping
Ranger Review: Mountain House Freeze Dried Meal at Alaska Basin

Campground Review

I was trying to get backcountry permits for Grand Teton National Park for the Solar Eclipse, but that didn't work out and a (NPS) Ranger mentioned Alaska Basin. She said was was an incredible hike and bordered the park so you could do a day hike/summit of a mountain all without permits. So I looked into it. And she was not wrong. Alaska Basin is such a beautiful area. Wildflowers were everywhere. The trail was well worn and maintained very well.

The particular weekend I was there was evidently the busiest it ever is because of the Solar Eclipse, but I never felt crowded at all. Even though we did walk past plenty of tents and other campers, my site was fairly secluded and no one bothered us at all. There were plenty of creeks/lakes to get water from and plenty of potential bear bagging trees. Overall, this place was incredible.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - on this trip I tested out some Mountain House Foods. Specifically for dinner we devoured some Italian Style Pepper Steak, some Sweet & Sour Pork, and even had some New York Style Cheesecake Bites for desert. We probably overate a little bit, but it was all delicious! After a hards day work of hiking it was nice to just sit back, relax, and make some dinner. Oh wait, by make the dinner I meant to say boil some water, wait 10 min or so, and devour some delicious food. It was simply very convenient. I can't even decide which flavor was my favorite, but they were both very well seasoned and tasty. The Cheesecake Bites you could tell were freeze-dried but they were still very good. They kinda reminded me of that 'astronaut ice-cream' that you can find. Another plus to the Mountain House foods - no clean up! We didn't have to do any dishes, dig a sump-hole or anything. We just simply zipped the bags back shut and put them in the bear canister and voila off to bed we went!