The best WALK IN camping near
Boody , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Boody Camping Reviews
Awesome place, especially if you have kids

Stayed in the Creekside Campground. It’s not a large campground, but that’s ok since it shares one bathhouse (four showers in individual shower rooms around the back side of the facilities). There’s a sink outside the bathhouse for dishes and a laundry room with two washers and two dryers (one was out of order during my stay). Despite obvious crowds/popularity, the sites and facilities were clean and well maintained. Well maintained hiking trails, options for paddling around the lake and swimming in warmer weather. It looks like there’s quite a bit to do during the season and there appear to be park hosted classes, activities and events, also during the season.

Beartree Campground

Large secluded campsites surrounded by rhododendron bushes with a mountain spring creek meandering through the campgrounds. Probably one of the most beautiful campgrounds I’ve ever stayed at especially when the rhododendrons are in Bloom. There are not any water or electric hook-ups. We used a small ultra quiet generator and filled up our RV water tank from a faucet located at a bathhouse. You will need a hose adapter (see pictures) to hook-up your water hose. There is a dumpster and dump station. Plenty of hiking trails and a small lake nearby.

Great Experience

Its a steep climb into the campground (CG) area but doable. At the main park entrance keep going straight and veer to the right up the hill to cabins/CGs to get to Lover's Leap and Cove View CG areas. The office was closed so we grabbed a park map and headed to back-in site 10 with 50 AMP and water. Our tags were already on our site post so we did not have to check in. The water pressure was 60+ so I used my pressure reducer. I also had to use Teflon tape to get a good seal on my pressure reducer. I noticed that other campers had similar problems evident by the water spray coming off the spigot. Site 10 is a great site with plenty of distance between adjacent sites and a huge yard area, probably the best site in the two loops (Lover's Leap& Cove View). Site 9 would also be one of the better sites. The adjacent Cove View CG is older and the sites are closer together. The yurts are also there. Cove View does have a few sites that will take larger rigs. I would definitely suggest staying in the Lover's Leap loop regardless of what size of rig you have because the sites are more spacious. We got a few OTA channels, but only one major channel. AT&T and Verizon were 2 bars. The bath house was newer, clean, and there’s a laundry with 2 washers & dryers at a $1.00 a piece. Most of the Lover's Leap sites have a clear shot to the southern sky for satellite. The trails out of and around the campground are worth the hikes. The most aggressive was to Lover's Leap Overlook and then down to the Natural Tunnel via Lover's Leap Trail. I wouldn't recommend Lover's Leap Trail if you are very afraid of heights. It goes along the rim and while it does have a fence to protect you from falling, it can still be quite scary. You can drive down to the Natural Tunnel where there’s a parking lot and chair lift down/up (seasonal) to the Tunnel. The Purchase Ridge Trail also goes out of the CG and is a moderate hike through the valley forest but without the stunning views of the Lover's Leap Trail and Natural Tunnel areas. There are other hiking trails and historical sites in the area. Duffield is about 15 minutes away and has gas stations with diesel, a medium sized grocery store, Dollar General, and a few restaurants. This was a quiet campground and we enjoyed our stay.

Great for the hiking

Have waited six months into our RV life to start reviews for fair comparisons. Spent 2 nights. Sites were very close together and it was very crowded, but friendly and courteous folks. Hiking very good from the site. Great place for dog walks. Tunnel very cool.

This spot is incredible.

Free spot, right next to a gorgeous creek. It was totally empty in March - we didn’t see a single soul. Got a beautiful campsite right on the creek. There’s lots of gorgeous spots on this stretch of road.

Wild Ponies!

Lots of clear field balds to walk through. The main trail is easy but the bouldering further up is challenging and exhilarating! Great for any hiking experience level. And wild ponies are everywhere! Be wary of the wind in the winter! My camera case almost blew away. Secure your items while you're there!

Clean

We were only here for one night in the rain but it was quiet and the bath hall was spotless! Conveniently located close to highway 81 and town!

BEAUTIFUL

So… I was planning on camping here in Grayson Highlands and even had a reservation, but when we arrived there was an emergency within the park and we could no longer stay there, but we got fully reimbursed! The rangers were so nice!!! ALthough that was a shame we took a ride around the park and LOVED IT. I will for sure be returning to enjoy this serene park. The trails were extremely icy, but we had arrived during a severe winter storm, but the pictures we had captured were breathtaking. The backpacking trails look well maintained and easy to set camp up in. I personally would prefer to hammock camp while backpacking here because there is a thick brush layer even in late january. Such a shame we missed our opportunity, but had to leave a review because it looked AMAZING.

Closed for the season

Closed as of January 25, 2021.

Currently closed

Currently closed as of January 25, 2021.