Equestrian
About Antelope Island State Park

This state park has several campgrounds:

Bridger Bay Campground – 26 sites Bridger Bay Campground is great for families and small groups of eight or fewer people. Tents and self-contained RVs are welcome. No water or electricity available. Water is available at Bridger Bay Beach, the Dump Station, and the Visitor Center.

White Rock Bay Campground – 20 sites White Rock Bay Campground is great for groups up to 16 people. Tents and self-contained RVs are welcome. Two equestrian sites are available. No water or electricity. Water is available at Bridger Bay Beach, the Dump Station, and the Visitor Center.

Lakeside Group Campsite – 1 site This large group site is ideal for family reunions and large groups of up to 80 people. Tents and self-contained RVs are welcome.No water or electricity. Water is available at Bridger Bay Beach, the Dump Station, and the Visitor Center.

Ladyfinger Campground – 5 sites Ladyfinger Campground is great for small groups of four or fewer people. Tent camping only (limit of one tent per site). Hike-in sites (approximately 230 feet from parking area). No water or electricity available. Water is available at Bridger Bay Beach, the

Hike In
Antelope Island State Park is located in Utah
Directions
Antelope Island State Park is located approximately 41 miles north of Salt Lake City. Take Exit 332 off Interstate 15, then drive west on Antelope Drive to the park entrance gate.
26 Reviews of Antelope Island State Park
Stinky Piece of Heaven

So smelly but so worth it. Beautiful campsite .. but no privacy. Woke up with the bison .. walked to the top of the lookout and woke up with the sunrise over salt lake .. very clean .. bathrooms, showers .. in the summer it does stink and is buggy near the lake. Worth running throught the gnats to get to the water though .. in my CT born eyes.

Bison Everywhere

There were some very well maintained hiking trails on the island. The bathrooms were pit toilets but they were kept very clean. The campsites were huge! We had an amazing time.

Great Sunsets. Expect wind

Great last minute spot out on Antelope Island. Multiple sites in a number of locations across the island so plenty of places to choose from. Went in September at the tail end of summer camping season. Was attempting to outrun a storm and it caught up to me, woke up in the middle of the night with the side of my tent hitting me in the face from the wind. On the plus side bison have free reign of the entire island so you may wake up to one walking through your site.

A place for open minds

Going into Antelope Island we had the voices of the critics in our minds: sand is too hot, it is too smelly, the brine flies etc; we were pleasantly surprised. I do believe that the circumstances can change, like the lake level, on a daily basis.

Badger bay is a no amenity, basic campground with a commanding view of the salt lake. There are vault toilets and shaded picnic tables. All of the sites accommodate small RVs, some of the sites may not provide a level tent pad. 2 was terrific! The sites are pretty roomy too.

We loved going for a dip in the lake. We went early on a late June morning before the sand became too hot, and walked the distance barefoot. We only noticed the wet dog smell as we entered the park—but that could change. The brine flies were actually pretty cool. They only hang out on the shoreline for a small distance. They don’t bite and they left our path in droves as though they were enacting the parting of the sea. Honestly, I find houseflies buzzing around my head to be more irritating. The water was smooth and partial buoyancy is cool. Swimmers would be advised to keep cuts out of the water. The brine shrimp don’t bother anyone and float around like typical lake debris.

There are showers at the swimming beach close to the campground. There are basic no-soap cold water rinse showers outside and private pay showers too; bring quarters.

Great wildlife

Clean campground. We stayed there in late March. I don't think I'd go much later in the year. There's no trees so not much in the way in shade. The water was pretty warm and stayed shallow for a long ways. The down side showers were very expensive and never saw any water available so what we took is what we had.

The wild life was amazing. Plenty of bison, antelope, rabbit & and cyotees.

I felt it was one of the most patrolled campgrounds I've stayed at by both police and rangers.

Camping on Antelope Island

Antelope Island is a great place to visit if you have never been. The view is great, wildlife, bird watching and camping are also great experiences. The only negative impact from camping was the lack of trees where the campground is located and the horse flies that wake up early to sting you in the summer. Other than that we had a great time and would recommend it for anyone who has never camped out on an island before.

Land of the swarming mosquitoes and rats

I attempted to camp at Bridger Bay Campground after driving from Yellowstone NP to Salt Lake City in mid August. It is located on Antelope Island within Antelope Island State Park. Antelope Island is an island located on the Great Salt Lake a few miles from Salt Lake City. I chose this campground because it seemed close to the major routes I was taking back towards California. I arrived after sunset and was happy to make it onto the causeway before they shut the gates. Arriving at the campground I noted that most of the sites were taken by trailers and RVs, which should have been a sign. After finding an open site, I got out of the car to one of the most horribly infested campsites I had ever seen. The air was thick with flies and mosquitoes making it miserable to try and unload and set up. The camp site also had several rats scurry around as I flashed my headlight around. At this point I decided to leave, so I did. I had never left a campsite before due to unsavory conditions, nor have I left one since. I got back in my car and drove back over the causeway. The gate was shut, but thankfully opened to let me out. While I’ve heard pleasant things about the island it may be best visited in a different season or time of day. I thoroughly enjoyed the motel I found. Here is more information about the campground and about the park. I hope to make it back someday to watch the Pronghorns, but will not plan on camping.

Ranger Review: Mountain House meals at Bridger Bay Campground

Campsite Review:

We were here for two nights and had two different experiences. Not to say that either of the nights were particularly bad experiences, but it did feel like the second night was way different from the first.

When were driving from the "main land" to the island there was a distinct smell from the lake. I knew there would be a smell, but wasn't 100% prepared. Although, the first night at the campsite we didn't smell anything….but the second night we did.

At the campsite itself there were only vault toilets, no hookup, but there were flush toilets and pay showers about a mile down the road near the public access center.

The thing I loved about the island was the abundance of wildlife, and how frequently you saw it. Of coarse there are antelope, but they also have a herd of buffalo, deer, coyotes, and big horn sheep.

It was neat camping on the Great Salt Lake, but I think I'd like it during fall or winter just a little better.

For a video review of this site CLICK HERE

Product Review:

Being a Ranger with TheDyrt often gives me the opportunity to test out products, and on this trip I was able to try out some freeze dried meals from Mountain House.

I'm not a huge backpacking food prep person. I know a ton of other campers who love to create their own recipes, and throw them in the dehydrator to get the ready for the backcountry. I'd rather buy pre-made meals that I know are going to work when I'm ready for dinner after hiking all day.

I've had meals from Mountain House in the past, but this allowed me to try some recipes that I hadn't had before. I have some goto meals that are awesome, and so far the new one's that I've tried have been just as good. The one that surprised me the most was the the breakfast skillet, this has definitely made it to the "goto" list!

For a extended video review of this product CLICK HERE

Camping with the GO: Day 8

During our road trip around the US, I was able to try out the GO camper from SylvanSport. After camping in the GO for about a week now, we are still finding things to impress. One things we really like is how easy it is to crank the tent into place. I've been around other pop-up style campers and love how much smoother the cranking system is on the GO!

A happy find

We stopped here for two nights without a reservation. The views of the lake are stunning, especially at sunset.