About Weller

This campground has 11 campsites. Picnic Tables, Vault Toilets, Firegrates, Trash Disposal & Potable Water during the season. Access to fishing areas and trails are available. See the nearby Weller Trail. Camping is permitted in developed campgrounds and/or designated campsites only. This area provides access to the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness where Wilderness regulations apply. This campground has a 5 day stay limit. Check out time is 2:00 p.m. There is an 8 person, two car limit per campsite. Pets must be on a leash at all times while visiting campgrounds and within designated Wilderness. The leash should not exceed 6 feet in length.

National Forest
Weller is located in Colorado
Directions
From Aspen, CO head east on Highway 82 for about 8 miles.
4 Reviews of Weller
Smaller Mountain Campground With Hiking Nearby

This is one of the smaller sites alongside the main road you will find just a short distance outside of Aspen. I was passing through late in the season, technically during "closure" but was able to snag a site because it had not yet been closed due to unusually warmer fall. There had been some snowfall higher up but where I was there had not so the camp had not been closed. They had however turned off the potable water source but vault toilets and sites remained open.

I was located in site 5 which had a small back in area, a picnic table and fire ring. There were also bear boxes throughout camp, which you need to use if you are here because there is a population of bears that will raid camp. I made sure to keep any food in the car behind doors and cleaned up away from camp with my own water source so as to not attract anything to come near. Bears do scare me a bit!!

The site for my tent was lush and grassy, it had not yet frozen or died for the season so it felt very fluffy underneath my tent.

Temperatures dropped dramatically at night and I was happy there was no fire ban when I visited because I used my fire for a heat source in the evening and then hand warmers inside extra socks at night. It was pretty peaceful at the camp as a whole.

While there I enjoyed hiking on the Weller Trail which heads directly out from the parking area near the camp and treks a short distance with some amazing views. I was so happy to have found this site for only $21.

TIPS:

• Typical season is May to the end of September if it is before or after this time check with the Forest Service to see if they have opened camp for season.

• Bring a flashlight there is no external light at the campground so you will not be able to see anything without one.

We scored with this campsite

We initially wanted to camp up by Maroon Bells, but there were no campsites available, so we turned around and headed back to Weller. We had a great experience here and it was a perfect little camp ground. We stayed in spot 9! Highly recommend this spot to anyone in Aspen!

Decent, but right next to the main road

This campground is easily accessible from the main road and has quite a few campsites. It's nice but we like to be more secluded while camping, so we were extremely disappointed that it's right next to the road. If you're looking for a more classic camping "experience", I would try somewhere else.

Pros: easy, sites are fairly private

Cons: lots of road noise, nothing special

Weller is the best!!!

This Campground is awesome!! Just be smart with your food, there is lots of Bears in the canyon! Beautiful campground, awesome host and quiet!!! We try to camp at Weller 1-2 times per summer!