Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 70 ft.
Bandy Creek - Big South Fork National River Rec Area is located in Tennessee
13 Reviews of Bandy Creek - Big South Fork National River Rec Area
Will be back

We had a end campsite and loved it. Not many people on our loop. Another one stayed full the entire visit. We hiked to the twin arches and to yahoo falls(recommend both) with children and had a blast. We can’t wait to go back.

Very Nice Campground

We camped two nights last week in Loop A, the tent only, nonelectric section. Being mid-week, there were not many people, meaning it was also nice and quiet. The sites are roomy, with a large tent pad, fire ring, picnic table, lantern hook, and a food storage locker. Yes, this is bear country, but we didn't see any during our visit. The bath houses are as nice as you're likely to find in a national park, with flush toilets, hot showers, and an outside sink for dish washing, etc. There is also a large, wheelchair accessible bathroom with roll-in shower. A water hydrant is available to fill jugs and tanks.

We drove through the other loops to see what they look like, because Loop A isn't open in winter. Should we decide to camp here in winter, Loop B is the only section open. But, that will let us use an electric heater.

Be aware that some things are not open in 2020 due to Covid-19. The park visitors centers are still closed, the swimming pool wasn't open mid-week, and the check-in building was unstaffed when we arrived. There was a sign at the check-in point telling us to reserve and pay for our site using Recreation.gov. We had cell service there, so no problem. It you don't have service, drive across the road to the Camp Store (which is not always open) to use WiFi there. There is a note on the front door with the password.

There are so many things to do in Big South Fork and surrounding areas that you really need to just visit the park website and make a list of things to do. Some are easy and roadside, others not so much. For example, to hike the Twin Arches Loop Trail, you'll drive several miles of dirt roads to reach the trailhead and end up hiking about 6 - 6.5 miles. The description says the loop is 4.6 miles, which is true, but you have to add another 1.4 miles for the out-and-back from the parking lot to the start of the loop. The loop trail isn't bad, but the access trail has steep stairs. Anyway, find something you like and enjoy the Cumberland Plateau.

Nice Campsites and Bath Houses

I have camped at this campground more than any other for a reason. The sites are very well-spaced with a loop exclusively dedicated to tents. There are great mountain biking trails in the area. Campground also caters to horses.

Perfect location for a weekend getaway.

Great campsite and location! Had a great weekend at Bandy creek, the area is fantastic. Campsites are close to trail entrance and if you head out toward Oneida you can hit up Angel falls. Has showers, water, didn’t even need an electrical site the cleaned it daily and people are respectful. Great view of the stars at night! I will be back.

Large campground with many amenities

It is a pretty big campground. The bath house was really nice. The sites are pretty close together. It has a store on site but it wasn’t open. The visitors center was closed as well. There are quite a lot of things to do in the area.

Absolutely wonderful

Bandy Creek is one of the most beautiful places . There is a wonderful peace there that gives your mind a new refreshing perspective on life.

Your Average Suburban Campground

Nice campground, if a bit suburban. Pool, parking lots, nice bathrooms. Tons of spots available even on a weekend in June. Short (5-10 min) drive to the river. If I did it again I'd find a backcountry spot - there are several on the Angel Falls trail that are just a short walk in.

A personal favorite

I have so many amazing memories from camping, hiking, and exploring all over this area. The best time to go (in my opinion) is in the fall. Not as many people and incredible foliage if you time your trip right.

Modern, but wild

I arrived to camp on a Monday and was surprised at how deserted the area was. This is a large campground but there were only two other sites occupied in the tent loop.

This is bear and rattlesnake habitat, so be prepared to keep food items locked up and watch your step. A bear-proof storage locker is available at each site.

The sites are well-spaced, trash receptacles are convenient, and the bathrooms and showers were very clean and nice. There is a swimming pool that apparently is open on the weekends. Plenty of hiking available as well.

Ranger Review: Midland X-TALKER T75VP3 Handheld Radio and Bandy Creek Campground and

Campground Review: I enjoy Bandy Creek Campground and wish I could visit more often. You could easily spend your entire summer in this area and explore somewhere new every day.

When we arrived at the campground it started snowing and the temperature dropped to 29 overnight. There were several people occupying the D loop. We were alone in the B loop.

The shower house was heated ;) and well maintained. The campground was clean and well taken care of. We visited the Visitors Center first thing in the morning and then hit the trails.

Gear Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I get the opportunity to review outdoor gear. On this trip I took along my recently received Midland X-TALKER T75VP3 hand held radio’s. As soon as I took the radio’s out of their display box I could tell these weren’t anything like my childhood Walkie talkies. Camouflaged, compact and very sturdy feeling. They fit nicely in your hand.

These radio’s come with rechargeable batteries. You can also use regular batteries if need be. The base that comes with the radio has the options of using alternate charging platforms in addition to plugging it into the wall.

There are A LOT of instructions;) including information on how to activate the weather channel. Read thoroughly to find out all the cool stuff this little radio will do.

Then we took our radio’s out to play. There was the obligatory “can you hear me now” as we stood five feet apart.

Next on the East Overlook we split up and I was extremely surprised at the sound quality . Once again I was expecting the childhood Walkie talkie experience. However these radio’s sound awesome.

On another trail, with trees , small hills and distance in between the sound and reception was just as good. I would suggest using something in addition to the belt clip included. It is sturdy but not extremely secure and I worried about loosing the radio when I hooked it to my belt.

Overall I am loving this little radio, I will review it again when I have had a chance to use it in more adverse and different situations.

Apr 26 2018

Spent and extended weekend camping and took the Midland X-TALKER T75VP3 Handheld Radio out on the trails. Performed very good. While at least 2 miles apart over dense forest and rocky areas, down (and up) a mountainside we spoke to each other on the Midlands with perfect clarity. I was impressed when we reached the top of a very difficult trail , had crossed about1/2 mile on the top and could still talk clearly to another in our group that was at the base (about a mile) of the climb.