Standard (Tent/RV)
About Richland Creek Recreation Area

This area has a small picturesque mountain stream with waterfalls, rocks, and bluffs. There is access to the Richland Creek Wilderness Area. 11 family camping units. Because of very rough roads, visitors are not encouraged to take camping trailers to Richland Creek. Campground and Day-Use Area Rules

National Forest
RVs and Trailers
No Sewer Hookups
Richland Creek Recreation Area is located in Arkansas
Directions
From Russellville take Arkansas 7 north for 37 miles to Pelsor, then turn right (east) on Arkansas 16 and go 10 miles, then turn left (north) on Forest Service Road 1205 (gravel)., which is located 1.5 miles south of Ben Hur. Take Forest Service Road 1205 (gravel) north 9 miles to Richland Creek.
11 Reviews of Richland Creek Recreation Area
Secluded Beauty

Quick single night trip out during the week in mid September.

I ended up staying at a dispersed spot on the way in.. I noticed it on my way to the campground and after circling the tent sites I decided to give it a shot. One of the best spots I've ever camped in. If you're cool with no/a short drive to the vault toilets then I'd recommend grabbing this spot if you see it open. It's before the giant hill with the offroad track going up it, 3 or so spots back. It's tucked down between the road and one of the creeks. Plenty of room for a couple cars, tents and hammocks.

There's a small walkway down to the creek right in the campsite. The primo secret is that there is a short (5-10 yards) trail behind the campsite leading to a great wading spot in the river. The water was low while I was visiting so I lugged some supplies out onto some rocks in the middle of the creek to brew the morning coffee and cook breakfast.

You can easily wade downstream the river to a fairly wide and deep swimming hole with a great rock outcropping.

**For anyone worried about the drive - I made it in a 2dr civic sport coupe. The pothole dodging was actually fun - it's rough but definitely not as bad as some earlier reviews make out

Beware of landslides - there are at least two points on the gravel road to the campground that have recently been repaired.**

Lots to do

Lots of hiking in the area plenty of waterfalls nearby usually very peaceful

Dispersed surrounding sites

I visited this area in June 2020, and the campground itself was closed. I had found information online that Arkansas campgrounds were reopened, so it was a surprise to see it closed. Fortunately, there are dispersed campsites along the road leading to this campground and beyond. We arrived on a Friday, late afternoon, and it was very difficult finding a site. We actually managed to find a TINY spot, up a small hill on a driveway to a larger spot down by the water. It fit our van, the fire pit, the tent and that's it. Luckily, it was right next to the creek, so we were able to swim and cool off. The family who was staying at the larger site did keep walking past our site and gave us some raised eyebrows for setting up so close to them in such a small space. I don't think they realized how competitive it was so find a campsite that evening.

The creek is the ultimate reward: cool rushing waters, providing relief from the heat and incredible white noise. We had a few horseback riders pass right by on the trail/road our site was on. Bugs weren't bad. There's no bathroom anywhere near these dispersed sites.

I would suggest having a back up plan if visiting this area on a nice weekend. I left the next day, and even more seemed to be piling into the area on top of one another. Go during the week if possible. It's a gorgeous area, and best to take in when it's peaceful, not overrun by families.

Peace and Quiet

Nice place to camp and very quiet. Trails all around and the scenery is amazing!

Peaceful, great base for hiking

Camped here with 3 teenagers and a 3 year old just before it was shut down in March 2020 for COVID.  We planned to go to Haws Creek but it was closed due to flooding, so we got in late in the evening.  It was during Spring Break week but there were still spots.  We didn't pick the best one (inside the loop) because it was dark when we got there, but even so it was still flat and enough space from neighbors.  The spots on the outside of the loop have more privacy so I'd recommend one of those.

We spent two nights and did make the hike to Twin Falls.  Had to carry the 3 year old some just to keep a decent pace, but it was worth it.  You'll have to ford the creek at least once and the trail isn't easy, but it's well marked enough that you can't miss it.  Two of the teenagers wanted to quit after about 2 miles, which was still a beautiful hike, but the rest prevailed on them for the last half mile and they were glad they did.

There are a number of other waterfalls and trails nearby, and in summer the creek would be a lot of fun.  The tradeoff for going in March and the falls running well is cold water and cooler weather though.

As others mentioned, no phone service (a blessing) and no showers, but fairly clean toilets.

The only complaint was our firepit had recently had all the ash removed.  Starting a fire 2 feet deep in a barrel with no air flow proved a challenge, though we eventually got it going.  I recommend bringing some of your own starter wood because the area was picked fairly clean of all but small sticks.

Some of the best spots in Arkansas

Many primitive camping spots throughout this area, plenty of trails of all levels, and waterfalls. There are tent pads available at the entrance and primitive spots deeper along the trails if you are backpacking.

Worth the drive!

Very nice/clean campground in Richland Creek Wilderness. Several trails and waterfalls close by. Drive-up spot, fire-ring, picnic bench, hook, pit toilet. Day use area for hiking. The dirt road leading in is well maintained

Waterfall heaven!

This place was amazing. These sites were well kept and spaced enough to feel private. We never made it to hike to twin falls but we did play in the creek and jump off the big rocks. We eventually drove down and found falling water falls, and six finger falls! I recommend making a trip to both of you go out this way. The water was a little cloudier than normal due to the recent rainfall but still beautiful!

Isolated, Beautiful, Primitive

I went camping here the summer after my senior year of high school and it was a wonderful choice! I was looking for a campsite that was going to have my friends and I far away from any towns or anything so I could let them have a true camping experience. We were never able to find the trail that led to the waterfall behind the camp, but we did have the chance to walk up one of the creeks and find a swimming hole. While it may have been a bit humid, it was definitely worth it as it was very peaceful out there.

Essential Arkansas for those who can rough it

Wonderful spot for peaceful camping, as well as hiking. Primitive sites. Be prepared for limited or no cell service and miles of gravel roads - download or print your driving and hiking maps (including how to find the falls) ahead of time. This campground combines well with stops at other worthy Arkansas sites along your drive, such as Pedestal Rocks, Haw Creek falls, and Falling Water Creek (gravel roadside) falls.