About Purtis Creek State Park
Hike In
Purtis Creek State Park is located in Texas
7 Reviews of Purtis Creek State Park
So clean & so much to do

It has all the accommodations you’d need for any kind of camping!!

Primitive camping

Woke up to sounds wild boar shuffling around the tent :0. Loved the primitive camping walked about .75 of a mile to get to my campsite. Great for fishing, canoeing. Loved waking up to the sounds of the birds in the morning. A great park to go to and relax. Best time is to go during the spring, it’s not to hot and not too busy

Great Hike!

We had a great hike and enjoyed the clean park! Prices are reasonable and we definitely be back!

Purtis Creek

Love this park! The campsites are very clean, as are the bathrooms. The hiking trails are well maintained. There is a small lake for fishing and a swimming area. Water and 30 amp electric only, but there is a dump station available.

We were to stay 4 days, got there and enjoyed the day, great place to stay

Large and clean rv site

June weekend

nice sized no-wake lake for kayaking, they also rent kayaks/paddleboards. nice swim area. lots of dead trees everywhere though, have to be careful not to tip. easy trails of 1-2 miles, shady. campsites are pretty private, treed. the primitive sites are not far in, are also nicely private and have lake access, we were impressed. I did notice trash here and there on the grounds and on the trails which was a bummer. usually they patrol pretty well in the state parks but we were across a family of loud obnoxious people who had 7-9 cars parked between 2 sites and up making noise until 1 both nights. didnt see any park staff at all after about 7. site next door had a star shower rotating all night which was also annoying when trying to get to sleep. park staff very helpful at check in but for some reason only one lane open. I'd actually do a 3.5 star, prob a 4 during the week or off season. Sorry, no pics, forgot my charger at home!

Ranger Review: Ledlenser MH10 at Purtis Creek State Park

Campground Review

Purtis Creek is a short hour and a half drive east of the DFW metroplex. It’s easy to get to and popular with the locals. One of the main attractions is the lake where you can rent kayaks and paddleboards. It is also a popular fishing hole. Most sites are electric and water at $20, water only at $14 and primitive at $10.

I arrived and got camp set then head out to the hiking trails. There are a couple of loops at one and two miles. I walked the entire stretch of around 6 miles. They are pretty unremarkable with very few animals and no real interesting features.

I was in site 62 which was set apart from the others with a path through the tall grass and a couple of trees to hang a hammock from. If you have a few people in your group, you may consider 60-62 as they are relatively close together. Once the sun set, the sky lights up with stars where you're just able to see the haze of the Milky Way. While I was going to sleep and early in the morning, the coyotes started up. The morning was a bit louder and they seemed to be near the lake only a couple kilometers off. Outside of some very noisy neighbors, the site was well worth the trip.

The only real drawback is how close it is to the main roads. Car noise can be heard at almost all hours.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I sometimes get items to review. I received the MH10 and took it out to the Purtis Creek State Park. Once the sun went down, I fired it up and had a full view of the entire campsite. I could spot the twinkle of spider eyes and other small critters in the bright light. I switched to the red lense to read and spotted a possum as it wandered into my camp site. If I hadn't made some noise, I don't think she would have noticed me.

The battery sits to the side and back. It's about the size and weight of three AA. It comes with a red and green lense that fit into a rubber grommit you slip on the light. It has three settings getting progressively darker. The strap is comfortable directly against the skin.

Pros

• Very bright
  • Green and red lense filters
  • Long battery life
  • Waterproof

Cons

• A bit heavy
  • Gets a little warm