Water Unknown
About Sea Rim State Park

Stay at one of 15 campsites with utilities or in our cabin. We also offer primitive camping on the beach.

Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
Sea Rim State Park is located in Texas
15 Reviews of Sea Rim State Park
Clean and Clear

We love camping here. The last time we camped we did so in primitive tent camping. The area was clean and everything was as it was supposed to be. Love being able to camp right on the beach.

Simplistic site right on the water

Sea Rim State Park is a strange but nice place. Having to pass by the refinery on the way in to the state park, the campgrounds make up for it by being right along the water with every camping necessity for a night on the beach!

not too bad

Not too bad all around. My family just stayed here for a night when we we're passing though, but it seemed pretty nice. The sunset on the beach was awesome. We stayed in an RV site, but it seemed like they had some little sites right on the beach to stay in too.

The fishing in this area is great, and the kayaking as well. Seemed like a neat little place.

Not much left after hurricanes

Before Hurricane Rita, there used to be a wildlife center here. Now theres just a pier and a shack. Careful parking because the light sand will leave you stuck. Its a typical Texas beach. The summer drought has left the nature walk dry and without nature. Hopefully the recent rains will fill it back in and the gators will return.

Floating Campsite

wonderfully different!! beautiful beach, but even better is the 2 mile paddle to a secluded, floating campsite, with fish, jumping shrimp, birding, and a gorgeous sunset….just watch out for the mosquitos!! (Be prepared to bring or purchase a bucket and waste bag, there is a built in privacy area on the raft to create a toilet)

Comfort off the gulf

We camped here last week right off the beach. They had the BEST staff. Clean facilities. Tons of privacy. Storms came in and left it was beautiful.

Primitive beach camping

The first time we went to the beach (just visited, no camping) we were able to kayak into the ocean and fish. The second time the waves were way too intense. We still enjoyed our time overall though. We got there early and picked a spot. The park ranger told us that wherever the tide was at 11am, that is where it would be at 1am. We placed our tent accordingly. There was a weird swarm of gnats that showed up both times we were there. Just gnats though.

We walked along the beach and watched the beautiful sunset. We sat in our chairs as it got dark and just took it all in. Big. Mistake. I felt tingling on my legs and stated that the gnats were back. I turned on my phone light to see how many there were and to my horror my legs were covered in… mosquitos. I'm not exaggerating. My legs were absolutely covered. This of course led to a freak out session in which we frantically tried to put everything away and get into the tent. I dove into the tent and zipped it closed, only to discover they were still on my legs. I slapped and slapped and by the end my legs were covered in mosquito bodies and blood. We managed to kill most of the ones that followed us inside and then we watched as our tent was covered from the outside in a thin layer of them. It was at this point that I realized I needed to pee but we just tried to go to sleep. (The next day we realized that I had 150+ mosquito bites…)

Fast forward to about 1am. Boyfriend wakes up because the rain flap has come unstaked and is flapping in the wind. He tells me he will get it so I roll over to go back to sleep. He steps outside of the tent (the mosquitos are long gone) and firmly tells me to get up… now. Annoyed by this, I ask why. The panic in his voice as he urges me to get up, right now, is enough to urge me to get up and see what is going on. I step outside and see the waves gently hitting our tent. Our kayaks are one wave away from being carried away, the back tires of my truck are in a thin layer of water, our grill is submerged and the bathroom tent is flooded. We work together and get everything moved a safe distance away. Remember that park ranger and her advice? Yeah, don't listen to them. Put your tent and gear as far back as you can.

Even with all of this we still mostly like this campground. You just need to be aware of the tide and the mosquito swarm that will come right at dark. Be in your tent before then and you will be fine. We enjoyed fishing and crabbing and just relaxing. It is cool that you can go from marsh to ocean in 5 minutes all within the same park. There are definitely better beaches out there though.

Floating campground has potential but fell short for us!

Do not do the floating campground. Yes it looks cool on Instagram and yes it is a unique experience, but for all the wrong reasons. We booked two nights on it and only stayed one. It was covered in bird poop and rusted so badly that when I accidentally cut my hand on it I went to get a tetanus shot. It is kind of difficult to get up on the platform and we ended up having to lay our bodies on what we referred to as the "poop deck". So by the end of the day you are covered in bird poop.

Keep in mind you have to bring your own waste bucket. There is a nook to place it in so you aren't just doing your business in the middle of the platform for the world to see. Not that it matters, we saw one other boat while we were there (I see this as a positive). Definitelt bring your own toilet seat. The one they provide is gross.

It is a decently long paddle to get there (especially when loaded down with gear). No problem if you are in good physical shape, but it is not for everyone. It stormed violently the one night we were there. Very cool but terrifying. The whole platform shook. We learned that the storm worked in our favor though because we didn't see many mosquitos (see my other review). We saw several alligators and caught some fish as well. This is a beautiful park with a wide array of wildlife.

Hidden Gem - except for the no-see-ums

We camped here Memorial Weekend. The primitive camping on the beach gives an amazing view. The beach sand above the tide is so firm, that even a couple 5th wheel Camping trailers had driven out to primitive spots. The spaces are spaced out really far, though, so thankfully we could not hear the generators. The primitive "sites" are really just posts along the grass before the dune line that have a trash barrel. There is no real enforcement of how close you are to the post, and no designated tent pad or fire ring. You can just dig out an area of sand for your campfire.

There are no showers or restrooms for the beach. However, there are drop toilets in the RV camping area, that you can walk or drive to. There is also an outdoor shower in the day use area along with a spigot that we used to wash dishes.

If there is a light breeze, then camping here is awesome. Unfortunately, swarms of no-see-ums appear if the wind stops. The wind stopped during the middle of our second night, and we were bitten so many times that it looked like we had poison ivy. The little bugs found a way into our tent. We actually decided to skip out at bedtime on our third night because the wind died down again. The bugs were swarming us and our citronella candles, and nothing seemed to deter them.

On the marsh side, there are several paddling trails. The ranger station rents out canoes and kayaks by the hour. We saw a few alligators on those trails. On the beach, we were able to go crabbing. The beach gets pretty crowded during the day with lots of day use people playing and fishing, but they seemed to stay closer to the start of the beach and not come very far down into our primitive area.

Rim of the sea!

Absolutely beautiful area with diverse environment to explore. You can stay in cabins, regular RV/tent sites with power, or out on the beach with no amenities. We stayed on the beach! Surreal beauty.

Yay: um, beach camping is always amazing.

Nay: no complaints, but if you don’t have a kayak you will be sad.

Surprise: Great kayaking trail map and recommendations from the rangers on where to go. There is hiking as well. Spend an afternoon or a week here.