Wickett, TEXAS

Most Recent Wickett Camping Reviews
Sand Surfing

This was a great place to stop on our roadtrip out West! We have actually been here twice, it's so convenient and right off I20 near Odessa! The workers are so friendly and we all five loved sand surfing!! There are pull through sites with electric/water hookups, picnic table, fire ring, grill and a shade shelter! There is also a bathhouse with showers and restrooms! So much fun, don't pass it by!

Good place to stop

It pretty much rained almost the entire two days we were there. 😂

Pros:

• All non-permanent sites are pull through. Still ended up unhooking our tow vehicle because we are almost 40’ long. zthry say they are big rig friendly, but we may have been put in whatever was available.
  • Nice picnic table.

Cons:

• Local rock and dirt turns into a sludgy mud that we are still vacuuming out of our Jeep.
Serene desert escape in the middle of Texas Oil Country

We loved staying here for a night on our drive through West Texas, the perfect midway stopping point. This state park is a nice natural respite from the noise and lights of oil country and towns.

Easy pull-through sites and well-maintained bathrooms. Sunsets and sunrises here are stunning. Feels like you're in a foreign desert.

Overnight Rest Stop

Very clean, new rest area with slots for overnight. Felt very safe here.

Monahans Sandhills State Park + Sand + Wind

My friends and I made a short stay at Monahans Sandhills State Park on our way to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. We made a reservation online because we knew that we would be arriving late considering that we were leaving after work at 6pm and out drive would be at least 5 hours. It is possible to pick up supplies or eat in the town of Ozona or Fort Stockton.

Upon our arrival, it was fairly easy to find our assigned campsite because all of the campsites appear to be located along a loop road.

Each campsites has water and electric hookups. There are also a sun shade, picnic table and grill. The bathroom was located a short distance from our campsite and contained sinks, toilets and showers.

The main attraction of this park is definitely the sandhills. One can explore the sandhills freely, but I think that it might be a good idea to not venture too far from the main campground unless you are familiar with desert navigation or are equipped with a GPS. One can walk up the sandhills, roll down the sandhills or just stand in awe within them. I was surprised to find a variety of flowers thriving amongst the sandhills. How does that happen?

There are not any marked or designated trails at this park. There are not many facilities or activities to do. The main attraction is the sand, the sandhills and the sunrises. Even though our stay was short, I really enjoyed staying at this park and watching the sunrise in the morning.

SAND but beautiful place and a good stopping point if you’re going west on 20

It gets very cold in the winter, which was terrible when tent camping but the sand dunes were a unique experience and we would’ve stayed longer if we could have. There’s a drop box for late arrivals and it isn’t busy in winter at least. The sand is very hand to stake into, you will need extra long stakes and a good technique.

Free

FREE- --Wi-fi, cable, Electric,Quite place ,water-wast .. Free -Laundry Room , Pets Allowed

• kids* Welcome Camper friendly
Gritty but pleasent

If you have a problem with everything you own being covered in sand, this may not be the best place. Lots of birds and wildlife. Very hard to set up tents unless you get those paddles they use in snow camping. During the summer you will need the spf 50. If the wind is blowing it will get dusty. Lots of photography opportunities. You can hear the traffic on I20 at night in a tent. Expect to be visited by skunks and raccoons.

Not sure

I’ll do my best

Sandy

The desert isn’t that bad