The best WALK IN camping near

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Venable Camping Reviews
Spillway from Lake to Springfield fed creeks!

Beautiful place! Host Jerry is cool guy, loads of information. Rides around once a night around sunset on his golf cart to see if everyone is okay. Been here 5 times. Sawmill trail is very cool. 2.5 miles to the old sawmill and 2.5 miles back out. Loads of deer here. Many interlacing creeks. Water from down under pumps into creek which you may see by the 3 bridges. Fire pits, grills, huge tent pads, lantern post, and giant picin tables are at each campsite. Very spaced apart. Lots of privacy. 1 vault toilet which is super clean, and a bathhouse in center of park. Showers are luke warm at best. Verizon works well here, sprint sucks. Never really busy here. Its $10 a day to camp, but I have the America is Beautiful interagency pass for $80 annually, saves me 50% off, so I only pay $5 a day! Decent roads in and out, barley any pot holes. Dogs must be on leash, rangers come by once a day to check. No reservations here, first come first serve. Many trees for hammock and I did kayak on the small lake for fun. Fished for days, caught nothing. Woodpeckers are here! As many other bird species. Loads of 🍄. All different kinds, bought a book to identify them! Store is a bit far about 8 miles east. They got a water filter and ice house to fill 5 gallon jugs and 16lbs of ice for $2.

Pretty, free, Easy

The only reason I gave this four stars is because my boyfriend and I stayed in some other campgrounds that were far more beautiful and secluded. Not to say this place wasn’t those things. After a 10 hour drive, this was perfect. We parked our car next to the river, pitched a tent, and packed out. We didn’t use a fire ring or bathroom and I didn’t see either of those, but it was perfect for what we needed (and free!) not hard to find either. Would recommend for sure.

Inexpensive and quite

First 6 days without electricity because of the snow storm, water pressure is low but available. Very pleased with campsite, host Billy very helpful. Overall enjoyed our 2 weeks there.

😏

To much people on trucks and boats but it is pretty

Weirdly Spaced FHU Sites

We camped in Loop A during the week of Thanksgiving 2020 by making reservations 134 days prior to arriving. Very friendly volunteer gate attendants, but not sure when they work the gate as we tried to find them twice in one day and no one around and no info on how to contact/find someone, even tho there are four different campsites marked“attendant”. Overall, very quiet campground the week of Thanksgiving except for the highway noise from Highway 255, which was loud! Nine site FHU loop where sites are crammed together, weirdly and poorly laid out and spaced. No vegetation between sites so no privacy here what-so-ever! We could hear everyone’s conversations, even some that were inside their RV! Back-in site 12 was a tricky challenge to get into due to the terrain. First a dip before a narrow entrance over drainage ditch pipe, then a steep grade which almost had us scrapping the asphalt as we saw evidence of many that had previously. The narrow asphalt parking pad is deteriorating on the utility hook up side leaving a 6-8 inch drop off, so not very forgiving! Most asphalt site pads in this loop are in poor condition. Site 12 was not level side-to-side. Site 12 also has two wooden enclosures(wooden fence) that house utility panel boxes. At first, we thought we had our own outhouse! There is a slight view of the lake from Site 12. Recreation.gov states this site is"full shade", which we disagree. Our concrete picnic table on a concrete pad was fairly close to the parking pad. Our site also included a rotting shelter over the table, a rotting wooden bar-height prep table(aka fish cleaning table), a wooden lantern pole and a metal fire pit with a grilling grate that was one big tripping hazard due to the concrete slab the pit was placed on was broken up and huge hunks of concrete displaced around the metal fire pit. What a mess. Toilet/shower facility just for this campground loop fairly clean, but not serviced every day(during the week). Tent sites are along the lake in Loop A. There is a significant drop-off down to the water’s edge. Evidence of tent campsites that had been washed out/destroyed in recent flooding. Not a good stargazing location due to other close by campers with numerous outdoor lights burning all night! Super friendly squirrels that ate from our hands. No other wildlife sighting during our 4 night stay the week of Thanksgiving. Sam Rayburn Lake is beautiful. Park has a boat ramp and a large ramp parking area. No firewood for sale in this park. A bait shop, Valero fuel station, liquor store and a couple restaurants within a 5-minute drive of the Park entrance. Jasper has a Tractor Supply and a small Walmart. Lufkin has most chain restaurants, Lowes, Super Walmart, etc. Two bars AT&T signal

Swampy kingdom

We have passed this place several times on trips to other places and finally decided to check it out the first of Nov. We rented a small rustic shelter / cabin. Essentially a slab walls roof with a heater and ac. It did also have a picnic table inside. It was actually perfect for my family of 3. This park was very quiet and was abundant with wildlife. We seen dear, armadillo, racoon, and a fox all close to our site. There were many trails to hike and the park a tally spans two sides of the highway be sure to explore both. This was a great camp for us and we will definitely visit again.

Great Camping Coming Soon!

I stumbled upon this gem and can not wait until it opens! It looked to be close when I was there in October, but I'm sure the hurricanes that passed through delayed progress. Premium lake front spots, lake access, boat dock and slips, a restaurant and bar, bathhouses, etc. and the spots are all level concrete pads. The lake is pristine in this area and you can walk right to the "beach". Really excited for this place!

I love this campgound!

Excellen place t spend quiet time by the lake! Such a beautiful setting in the east Texas Piney Woods! Our site was waterside so I only had to walk 15 feet to fish! the only downside was the love bug swarming that coated our rig in bug goo on the drive. I have a video of this park on my YouTube… DudeRV.com

Wonderful!

Stayed at site 333. Wonderful experience with the family. Lots to do and pet friendly.

Amazing family campground

This campground has been a favorite of ours for a few years. The large pine trees are picturesque against the backdrop of the reservoir. There are plenty of trails and lots of opportunities for fishing, even without using the paddle trails. I would recommend for anyone looking for a relaxing weekend close not too far from the greater houston area.