About Cove Palisades State Park
Cove Palisades State Park is located in Oregon
20 Reviews of Cove Palisades State Park
Easy camping

All kinds of good stuff. Has everything you need including a small convenience shop. Popular place for families. Not what you want if you’re looking to escape people.

Arid but with a lake so the gills dont dry up

This is high desert so sites are pretty much just dirt. Some have cool vegetation, grasses and even some sage. Scenery is still awesome and the lake it a lot of fun. If getting out on the water is your thing, can rent boats/kayaks. Sunsets are epic. Has showers and legit bathrooms for those who like civilization. Plenty of hiking nearby.

Nice swimming hole

Nice swimming hole and campgrounds for overnight use.

last camp site for the night

We went out for the weekend trying to camp and stumbled upon this fabulous camp site. We camped one night here and one night on the other side of the cove. All hook ups and water as well as very clean bathrooms.

Lake Billy

A nice place for watercraft. Was semi crowded in July. Has a shallow swimming area surrounded by wood docks to protect swimmers from the wake.

Family favorite

This is a great spot for families. Plenty of room to play outdoor games and it has a neat outdoor amphitheater. Lots of wildlife and nice restrooms. Close to the beautiful Lake Billy Chinook.

Ranger Review: Matador DL Backpack at Cove Palisades State Park

Campground Review

Good for a very busy campground.

There are actually 2 campgrounds here. One is where we stayed, Deschutes Campground, and the other is Crooked River Campground which is just for RVs. If I was in an RV and had to choose, I would choose Deschutes because it seemed like a prettier area.

This is a good campground but it is very busy and crowded. If you are camping with kids, I think this would be a great campground with easy access to the bathroom, a playground, and a amphitheater where they offer educational talks. Snakes the night we were there! There is little privacy between the sites but it is a really beautiful area. Our site (B62) and the sites nearby back up to rocky hill which was beautiful and we saw quite a few deer. There is a hike you can do right from the campground called Tam-a-lau Trail. It's a mile to the top of the ridge and then another 6 mile loop or so once you get to the top. Nice view of the mountains the and the lake from the hike. You can also rent kayaks which we didn't do.

Overall, I prefer quieter campgrounds but it was a pretty area and nice to have a trailhead right from the campground.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this trip I tested the Matador DL Backpack. I’ve had this ultralight, waterproof backpack for awhile now and I love it! It is extremely light (4.2oz) and scrunches up to the size of your hand. It's a totally packable backpack so I can just throw it in my gear and it takes up no space. (It’s actually really great for traveling, too) It’s waterproof which is great for Oregon but not needed on the hot day I used it.

There are 2 side pockets for water bottle and a smaller, zipper pocket on the outside which was perfect for my car keys. This is a perfect little, light daypack that I keep in my car (when I'm not using it) at all times because it so handy.

Jewel out in the middle of nowhere!!

Amazing campground

Watch out for rattle snakes

Excellent boating/kayaking from the campground

cove palisades

very nice, beautiful. There is do much to do here. Fishing, boating, swimming. Nice clean campgrounds

Best State Park in Oregon

This is the best Oregon State Park in the entire state!!! Better than anything on the coast. Been to all so I know of what I speak!!! There isn't a lot of privacy in the sites, but I didn't really want to spend time in my site. There's the 6 mile Tam-a-Lau trail that starts on the west side of the park. With a 1 mile, 600' elevation gain, you find yourself up on the rim with about 3.5 miles of trail over looking Lake Billy Chinook and "the island". There's also a wonderful, huge, fenced off leash dog area with green grass. Only Farewell Bend SP has a nice large dog area like this. Always appreciated. The hosts and rangers really work to keep this park clean and in great repair and it shows.